Home Parking or Off-Site Secure (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Have had caravans and now a Motorhome (7.5m) for over 30 years and always kept on driveway. I believe there is a restriction in the deeds about caravans somewhere but no-one seems to take any notice. As long as neighbours don’t kick off its fine. Also very handy for keeping batteries charged and putting an oil-filled radiator inside during very cold spells. In addition, my exterior home security cameras and lockable steel pole in the driveway help reduce insurance costs!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
my exterior home security cameras and lockable steel pole in the driveway help reduce insurance costs!
Interesting. Previously the only insurance discount I have come across is for a Tracker, who are you insuring with?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Interesting. Previously the only insurance discount I have come across is for a Tracker, who are you insuring with?
One question that is asked is where the MH will normally be kept overnight, options often include (not necessarily this wording!) 'on a drive', 'on a gated drive', on a 'locked gated drive', so I assume some risk/weight is given to whichever it is.

Apr 21, 2012
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail T680
Exp
since 2010
I keep mine on a locked compound (cassoa gold) at £520 pa and have it on the drive at home For a few days Pre and post trips. If in storage Check with your insurance how long they allow it on your drive. I was quoted 24 hours only by one well known insurer!

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
My daughter has had serious problems with otherwise friendly neighbours because she parked a VW camper on the drive.

"It blocks our light"; "it spoils our view"; "it's against the covenants"; "it's an eyesore".

In reality, houses are well spaced detached buildings in a close. The complainant is 30metres away. The van is only a couple of years old and in excellent condition.

It almost reached the stage of solicitors letters but the Estate Management Committee decided to not back the neighbour after my daughter paid landscapers to alter her front garden so that the van was slightly less prominent.

Take care - Gordon
Hi there,
Most folk are fairly reasonable , but in your daughters case jeaalllooouusy really springs to mind as is the case very often I did read on a particular website tho I can’t remember which, so many, that a Motorhome could not be classed as a caravan, and let’s be honest, a VW could hardly be described as a Motorhome causing any offence to neighbours, obviously a very jealous neighbour, methinks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Last new house we bought off plan had covenants for everything. No chickens or washing out the front . No satellite dishes mounted on front of the house.
No commercial vehicles , whether sign written , plain or vans with windows. No caravans, boats or trailers of any description. No vehicles that were not fully road legal ( this to cover the banger racers). no farm vehicles or attachments.
First house we bought in a close of only 23 in a village that had been built in the 70's you had covenants stopping you changing windows??

But no mention of Motorhomes, which is not a van with windows nor is it a caravan. So they haven’t really thought of Motorhomes as being different.

Dec 26, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
Hi,

Looking for your advice, please. We're relocating to the UK from Spain in a few months and will be bringing our Adria with us. Obviously will need to re-register with DVLA and so on (subject of another thread) but in the process of house-hunting, the question has come up about being allowed to park a 7.3 mtr motorhome on our property. Friends seemed to think that on their estate there are limitations on what property owners can park permanently on their drive. Is this normal/common?

Ideally we want the vehicle on our driveway but if we should have to park elsewhere, what's the typical cost of secure parking?

Many thanks in advance. :)
If your van is on Spanish plates would like to swop it for uk plated van

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
I recall motorhomes being referred to as motor caravans. That could just because I am old. Either a long time ago or the memory not quite right.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
SpeedyDux how true regarding who deals with purchases and sales.

The Daughter is just in the process now and her conveyancer leaves a lot to be desired.

Out of interest if someone brought an action against you due to breaking a covenant.
Who would be that someone 🤔

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Mother-in-law had an issue quite a long time ago, but the estate was at least 30 years old. She had a huge drive, motorhome was a v small one but the covenant said no boats, caravans, campers or commercial vehicles. Some nasty neighbours kicked up, even organised a petition. All got very messy, legal letters etc, they fought it and downsized to a smaller camper, but it kind of ruined it for them and sold it eventually.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Hi there,
Most folk are fairly reasonable , but in your daughters case jeaalllooouusy really springs to mind as is the case very often I did read on a particular website tho I can’t remember which, so many, that a Motorhome could not be classed as a caravan, and let’s be honest, a VW could hardly be described as a Motorhome causing any offence to neighbours, obviously a very jealous neighbour, methinks.
Not that it relates to me specifically but we have all passed semi detached houses with a caravan or Motorhome parked in quite a tight space on the drive which is overpowering. Sometimes try and look at it from a perspective of do I really want to impose this on my neighbour rather than will they mind?

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Yes theres one in a street near me,where the van fills the whole of the drive of a semi, and i wonder what the neighbour must think? Especially when there are quite a few storage places nearby, a little bit thoughtless of the owner i would say, but its been there a number of years now,i wonder if neighbour put their house up for sale would it put prospective purchasers off,or if they were motorhomers they could fill their front garden with one and nothing could be said lol

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Our 1930’s house had a covenant on it-no Ducks/Geese/Chickens to be kept on property!

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I live in a 1950’s house. Our next door neighbours live in a house constructed in 1970’s and can’t construct anything within 20’ of our boundary lines.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
house hunting at present no drive/parking no house I want it on the drive so that I can jump in a go without any hassle of having to go and collect to pack etc. Not only that paying for storage is not in my budget
i am doing exactly the same no area to park the van then its no use to us

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Not that it relates to me specifically but we have all passed semi detached houses with a caravan or Motorhome parked in quite a tight space on the drive which is overpowering. Sometimes try and look at it from a perspective of do I really want to impose this on my neighbour rather than will they mind?

One of the considerations that led to our decision to buy a discreet silver 5.4m PVC rather than a 7m long white coachbuit.

Yes theres one in a street near me,where the van fills the whole of the drive of a semi, and i wonder what the neighbour must think? Especially when there are quite a few storage places nearby, a little bit thoughtless of the owner i would say, but its been there a number of years now,i wonder if neighbour put their house up for sale would it put prospective purchasers off,or if they were motorhomers they could fill their front garden with one and nothing could be said lol

Before upsizing from a VW camper I spoke to all the neighbours and nobody objected. The bloke next door asked if in the event of him wanting to sell his house I would move it somewhere else for a while and I agreed. In the end it didn't put any buyers off and his widow has now sold the house. The buyers who are a retired couple seem OK with the PVC on my drive, even complimented its appearance, and asked where we were going this year. Who knows, perhaps they will also buy one.

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
This is all great info..we have or will in the near future..flatten the drive, make space for (zebedee) on the drive..being linked detached. We are mindful of the neighbour's? So thought about moving having space to pop him on..then put additional security bollards behind him... Or fenced in? At present in storage 10 mins walk away..lots to consider :rolleyes: :clap:

Rapidoman 2011

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 21, 2013
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9009 DFH
Exp
20 Years Plus
Friends of ours have had this problem on the new estate they live on, seems that alot of councils get confused between Caravans and Motorhomes, and any rules they have in place tend to be for caravans, They do not want them on the drives or the grass, However when the guy knocks your door, just explain its got an engine, moves by its own wonderful built in power unit, again the engine, and you are because of that, entitled to park it on any road on any estate as long as there is no yellow lines stopping you. They will scratch their heads, and walk away.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
This is all great info..we have or will in the near future..flatten the drive, make space for (zebedee) on the drive..being linked detached. We are mindful of the neighbour's? So thought about moving having space to pop him on..then put additional security bollards behind him... Or fenced in? At present in storage 10 mins walk away..lots to consider :rolleyes: :clap:
I have to say, if storage was a 10 minute walk, I would leave it where it is

My issue is that if you keep it on the drive, when you are away, everyone knows

Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
I have to say, if storage was a 10 minute walk, I would leave it where it is

My issue is that if you keep it on the drive, when you are away, everyone knows
Lot's of people say that but when we are away there are 2 cars on the drive so the house looks occupied. Ok, if someone had more intimate knowledge of who lives in our house etc then maybe but I'd rather have mine on the drive any day. Not sure whether it's allowed officially but our next door neighbour has had one on their drive for years so didn't think I would get complaints :LOL:

Dec 31, 2016
Scotland and Chef Boutonne
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 2010
Most restrictive covenants run with the land meaning the obligations and the benefits pass on to the new owner of the land. I believe the wording and intention of the original covenant are important but in my opinion it is unwise to assume that a restriction has lapsed, just because the builder is no longer around. I am not a solicitor but spent many years in property management, including development. On more than one occasion long hidden covenants were enforced because a neighbouring landowner objected to something.
Ok
House in Scotland. No livestock to be kept on first floor. We obeyed

Dec 31, 2016
Scotland and Chef Boutonne
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 2010
For the first time, I'll be leaving my (6m) Moho on my driveway which I think I can do.
Should a neighbour prove me wrong with the Covenants, there will be a lot of Electricians, Plumbers, Builders etc looking for somewhere to park their Signwritten vehicles which definitely aren't allowed. I think in these days of no Police presence, everyone wants to be able to see their vehicles. Live and let live - I'd like my neighbour to keep his garden tidy but he doesn't see it that way.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
For the first time, I'll be leaving my (6m) Moho on my driveway which I think I can do.
Should a neighbour prove me wrong with the Covenants, there will be a lot of Electricians, Plumbers, Builders etc looking for somewhere to park their Signwritten vehicles which definitely aren't allowed. I think in these days of no Police presence, everyone wants to be able to see their vehicles. Live and let live - I'd like my neighbour to keep his garden tidy but he doesn't see it that way.
civil not criminal police not interested, covenant on my newbuild 12 years ago say not commercial vehicles or caravans for limited years or whilst they are still building/selling properties .

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
civil not criminal police not interested, covenant on my newbuild 12 years ago say not commercial vehicles or caravans for limited years or whilst they are still building/selling properties .
This is where the wording and intention of covenants is important, yours was clearly aimed at only protecting the builder’s interest, not the neighbours. However they are frequently intended to persist placing permanent obligations and benefits on all residents.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
This is where the wording and intention of covenants is important, yours was clearly aimed at only protecting the builder’s interest, not the neighbours. However they are frequently intended to persist placing permanent obligations and benefits on all residents.
this property developer only ever protect themselves :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back