Home Parking or Off-Site Secure (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
this property developer only ever protect themselves :(
They often include covenants for the ongoing benefit of purchasers. The developers motives may be self interest because many purchasers like the idea of banning commercial vehicles, caravans and motorhomes. What we think of as as our lovely motorhomes are not always appreciated by others, who think of them as big white boxes that spoil their view.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
A couple of years ago there was a guy who parked his caravan behind a high fence in his large garden. It could not be seen by anyone, except until a friend pointed it out on Google Earth!!!
He contacted them and made them 'fuzz, it out on the map.
Geoff

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
They often include covenants for the ongoing benefit of purchasers. The developers motives may be self interest because many purchasers like the idea of banning commercial vehicles, caravans and motorhomes. What we think of as as our lovely motorhomes are not always appreciated by others, who think of them as big white boxes that spoil their view.
I wish the covenant read no more vehicles that can fit in your garage or on your drive/property some people buy properties with little thought to their long term needs or consideration to others. Empty garages or filled with junk and no room for the car. Saying that I am clearing mine today as it has become a dumping ground. I opened the door yesterday to unplug Van, and there was the packaging for the new fridge that I had forgotten about . Recycle day Monday it will go.
Its a shame that my van if just a little too tall to go into the garage but the car fits

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Cars have got progressively wider over the years and no longer fit through what used to be considered a standard garage door.
mine fits and its wide enough for the van not high enough though and its a new build well 12 years old

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
When we go away we get the neighbours kids to park their cars on the driveway so it looks like a full house

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
My daughter has had serious problems with otherwise friendly neighbours because she parked a VW camper on the drive.

"It blocks our light"; "it spoils our view"; "it's against the covenants"; "it's an eyesore".

In reality, houses are well spaced detached buildings in a close. The complainant is 30metres away. The van is only a couple of years old and in excellent condition.

It almost reached the stage of solicitors letters but the Estate Management Committee decided to not back the neighbour after my daughter paid landscapers to alter her front garden so that the van was slightly less prominent.

Take care - Gordon
What an unpleasant neighbour

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I wish the covenant read no more vehicles that can fit in your garage or on your drive/property some people buy properties with little thought to their long term needs or consideration to others. Empty garages or filled with junk and no room for the car. Saying that I am clearing mine today as it has become a dumping ground. I opened the door yesterday to unplug Van, and there was the packaging for the new fridge that I had forgotten about . Recycle day Monday it will go.
Its a shame that my van if just a little too tall to go into the garage but the car fits
Modern property tends not to have a drive and maybe a garage but that garage is often changed into another room. Most modern builds do not have front gardens so what you are left with are whole estates with cars that park on the pavement. It’s the modern build of today and these properties are £600k ++

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
When we go away we get the neighbours kids to park their cars on the driveway so it looks like a full house
when I am away my car is on the drive this has really miffed my neighbours as they were using my drive as their own I did not mind when I was away but when I get home from a week away for work I do not expect them still to be parked there especially when their drive is empty :(:(

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My last house had a covenant, dated 1924, clearly stating that the property must not be used for the selling of chipped and fried potatoes!
Just to be safe, we observed the covenant strictly
It would be interesting to know who the original owner was ... I wonder if he was a chip shop owner! :giggle:

Jan 9, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
tribute T615
Exp
Since late 2015
I suppose he had a vested interest but the owner of the secure site which I use told me about a relation who was a PC who stopped a dodgy looking character in a car and found a list of apparently random addresses. His curiosity aroused, he went round a few of them and in every case found a motorhome or caravan on the drive. It seems as if this character was either planning on a house burglary if he noticed the motorhomes had gone or apparently there is a market for such lists of addresses with other characters 'down the pub'.

It seems as if this method of spotting empty houses is quite well organised.

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
Out of interest the covenants were enforced by who.
Builder co or really miserable neighbours can object... I’ve seen nasty situations... really spiteful behaviour around leisure vehicles and covenants.
Please look around when viewing any others in street on drives... how many? and please ask estate agent to confirm very explicitly from vendor If any legal reason one cannot park a leisure vehicle on drive

if you ask at the beginning you can move on if needed.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Walked around the area where I live this morning, over to feed the horse carrots on the way out, and then a quick scoot before heading to the 'office' they are everywhere, vans, caravans on loads of drives some obviously very much loved there is a monster caravan and they have adapted the drive and put the lockable bollards in place, another must be 20 years old obviously have plenty of adventures and appears to be new to the family and like mine need an dam good wash. what do the neighbours say? don't know, don't care they all make me smile as they will make a family happy. :clap2:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Not yet. Only just sold the house here and will complete - hopefully - late April/early May. Moving back to stay with family first and then start the house search in earnest. That said, must have viewed 300 or more online this weekend LOL! :D
If I dare to ask, why are you moving in the opposite direction to the masses who are dreaming of their move from the UK to Spain. :unsure:

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
We park ours on drive and permanently hooked up, setting temperature at about 16 degrees in winter. I had been worried about humidity levels and did not give any real thought to electricity costs. However costs have been brought to my attention because of recent caring for SIL, it has made me realise how costly it is, around plus £100 per month during winter. So useful to get an idea of storage costs posted previously £400-£600pa to compare with.

I have now reduced down to 10 degrees, worried about going any lower, any advice welcome, conscious need to keep humidity down, will reduce temperature as it gets warmer.

My electric bill will be monitored more closely from now on!!!!!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I have now reduced down to 10 degrees, worried about going any lower, any advice welcome, conscious need to keep humidity down, will reduce temperature as it gets warmer.
Many differing opinions on here in probably hundreds of posts but for 7 years I've never heated mine and not had any condensation or mould problems.
It's on my drive, always with some ventilation (a roof vent and a window locked open a smidge), bedding brought into the house, cupboard & lockers open, mattresses/cushions etc. stood on edge.
Fine days I throw everything open but don't shut it up until evening after the air temp inside and outside the m/h is the same to avoid trapping warmer moister air inside overnight.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I think what tends to happen nowadays is that the developers also ban parking caravans or MHs on estate roads and common areas.
Yes the last one we bought off plan that I referred to in aprevious post covered everything. You couldn't even sorn a vehicle as to stop the banger racers building on their drives , it stated all vehicles must be road registered , & fully legal with tax,mot,insurance.
Friends of ours have had this problem on the new estate they live on, seems that alot of councils get confused between Caravans and Motorhomes, and any rules they have in place tend to be for caravans, They do not want them on the drives or the grass, However when the guy knocks your door, just explain its got an engine, moves by its own wonderful built in power unit, again the engine, and you are because of that, entitled to park it on any road on any estate as long as there is no yellow lines stopping you. They will scratch their heads, and walk away.
Most councils do not have a say unless they do it at the developers full planning meeting. Once they have approved the development the council planning & building departments are persona no-grata on new estates until finished as the developers are classed as "self regulating" . For the few that are the rest couldn't lie in bed straight but if you attempt to get the planning or council to assist you on a non completed development they will probbly tell you , as they did me ,that they wouldn't have a job next week if they entered the site.
I have to say, if storage was a 10 minute walk, I would leave it where it is

My issue is that if you keep it on the drive, when you are away, everyone knows
No different to when i worked people knew if my van was on the drive I had gone on holiday. 🤷‍♂️ What do you do?

Aug 9, 2011
Broadway
Funster No
MH
Aclass
Exp
since 2009
One of my neighbours complained about the skip in the drive. It made the area look working class apparently.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
One of my neighbours complained about the skip in the drive. It made the area look working class apparently.
how do they cope with all the grockles (tourists) through the summer :rofl:

Aug 9, 2011
Broadway
Funster No
MH
Aclass
Exp
since 2009
how do they cope with all the grockles (tourists) through the summer :rofl:
Not so many tourists these days. Used to be hordes of coach tripping Chinese but for some reason they have all disappeared.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Not so many tourists these days. Used to be hordes of coach tripping Chinese but for some reason they have all disappeared.
perhaps there is a virus or something 🤔

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Possibly some form of vaccine is indicated. I believe the EU may have some to spare as they don’t believe in such things.
could be a conspiracy to try and get the UK to stop taking it so they can have it all to themselves .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back