Holy Island parking (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Caz just looked and says you can't park in main car park if over 3.5 tonne and you are not allowed to park in the coach park.

Anyone else been over in a heavier van?

We have parked on the car park at the start of the causeway previously but have only fetched one bike this time.

By the way we are in a CL Brockmill farm not too impressed, they have just decided to put a CL in the middle of the farmyard, tractors passing all day dust all over, view of a corrugated barn. Good brass if you can get it, trains passing.

I told her not to book it they wanted paying as we booked it, that's because a lot of folk will take one look and drive off.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The car park on this side of the causeway is now blocked off with boulders

There is a farm a little nearer but they want nearly £30 / night

But I will follow this as I am sure others have said you can park motor homes in daytime on the island

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
image.jpeg
How about this for a view, just in front is where the tractor has been thundering up and down all day.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The car park on this side of the causeway is now blocked off with boulders

There is a farm a little nearer but they want nearly £30 / night

But I will follow this as I am sure others have said you can park motor homes in daytime on the island

I never knew the car park was blocked off David, we stayed overnight in 2007 then cycled over.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
What colour tractor is it Paul Red Green or Yellow, or it could even be Blue(y)

You do pick some good places to stop:LOL: last time we were up that way Haven at Haggerston castle were doing ridiculously cheap deals.

Martin

Oh it's Easter possibly not.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
What colour tractor is it Paul Red Green or Yellow, or it could even be Blue(y)

You do pick some good places to stop:LOL: last time we were up that way Haven at Haggerston castle were doing ridiculously cheap deals.

Martin

Oh it's Easter possibly not.

It's yellow Martin, I mean which idiot puts a CL in a farmyard.
And more to the point, which bleeding idiots decide to stay here

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The good deals at Haggerston don't start until September when the kids holidays have finished.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We stayed in that car park and no way was it a problem to anyone. UK is such a pain in the arse always banning things and then wonder why we all go to Spain etc.

Yes couldn't agree more Jon, no doubt complaints from site owners, we would have driven there first if we had both bikes.
No wonder we prefer Germany to tour.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Parked in main carpark on left just as you got on the island (3 years ago) no trouble at all. Big grass field. (Tadem KonTiki at circa 4.6t)

Don't forget to join Cadw early much cheaper than English heritage!!

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Parked in main carpark on left just as you got on the island (3 years ago) no trouble at all. Big grass field. (Tadem KonTiki at circa 4.6t)

Don't forget to join Cadw early much cheaper than English heritage!!

Was the sign displayed then saying no vehicles over 3.5 tonne?

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
TBH, didn't notice a sign. Was late April 2016.

If in doubt you could always ask whoever's running the carpark.

But

Remember the old adage:

Its akways easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission!!!!

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Have you had a drive by on Google street view?

Dec 16, 2017
Funster No
We were there last year. The back row of the car park is reserved for motorhome parking.
When we were there we saw motorhomes that were over 3.5t.
If you pay your fee and park on the back row I think you'll be fine.
I found the the carpark just before the causeway closed and blocked off.
We stayed for one night on the car park at Eat & Sleep. It's a cafe and bunk house just behind the garage as you turn off the A1 to Holy Island. They were happy to let us stay and in return we had a cooked breakfast there before heading onto the Island.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Well we parked up and paid no issues but it does say all over Upto 3.5 tonne
We are only 6.48 metres so not long but 4.9 tonne.
We are staying til 8.35pm when it's next safe to cross, everyone is going now as after 1.30pm you can't cross.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 10
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Holy Island is just lovely when all the day trippers have gone.
We rented a cottage on the island a few years ago and the evenings were sublime.
I used to walk the dog late and, as it was mid summer, it was still light. Everything was peace and quiet, no traffic sounds, just the sea, the seals and birds. Wonderful!

Richard.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
image.jpeg
Nice and quiet now all the day trippers have gone, what a lovely place. So beats sat in a farmyard.

Just look at Ted, as happy as a pig in shite.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
So there you have it, officially, if you are over 3.5 tonne then you can't park in either the main car park or the coach park, it clearly says so at both places.

We risked it and we're fine but only 6.48 metres.
However we have paid into the castle for 2, 18 quid, bought postcards, a couple of gifts, eaten lunch in a cafe so contributed plenty to the economy but money they wouldn't have had if we had rigidly stuck to the rules.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
image.jpeg
Furthetmote I am a liar and a cheat as I put this on the windscreen, I don't think @DavidG58 will ever speak to me again, I mean who wants to be associated with a wrong un.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
If anybody wants to jire the dedicated windscreen sign please let me know, shall we shall a straight fee of 7 pounds per hire.
Or is that a bit too low?

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Back at the farmyard now, it said not safe to cross until 8.35 pm but people were leaving at 7pm.
We came back at 7.45pm because loads had gone before us and the tide was going out, would not have risked it otherwise.
They must really err on the side of caution when posting the safe crossing Windows obviously to stop the idiots risking it.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Holy Island and Lindisfarne Abbey has been a spiritual place for me since I first visited in 1962 when at University of Durham, when it was not a tourist attraction except for a few.

We revisited 4 years ago when the CP on the North of the landside of the causeway was still accesible and we stayed the night.

If one gets the tides right one can still stay on the island in mid-summer till the tourist buses have left and leave in a MH before nightfall - or get stuck - who checks?

Sad if it has all been restricted.

Geoff

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I just checked back in my records and the weight restriction is nothing new. It was in place when I started my web site in 2006 and had a comprehensive reply to my initial enquiry from (the then) Berwick upon Tweed Council.

In regard to the car park at the mainland end of the causeway, I had been told by somebody that it was a good spot to camp. The Berwick officer got back to me to say "I've had a quick look at the web site and have noted the comments re Holy Island. The car park referred to was created to take waiting traffic off the main road leading on to the tidal causeway - due to poor sight lines and a high accident risk prior to the causeway. While there are no relevant parking signs, this area does form part of an English Nature reserve covering the coastal strip and Holy Island. I would suggest checking with English Nature regarding any restrictions on camping, etc within the reserve.".
I recall that English Nature had a blanket ban on camping within the reserve.

As usual, the restrictions which also prevent daytime parking are a result of people camping because it suits them, rather than bothering to check because they might get an answer that they don't like.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I just checked back in my records and the weight restriction is nothing new. It was in place when I started my web site in 2006 and had a comprehensive reply to my initial enquiry from (the then) Berwick upon Tweed Council.

In regard to the car park at the mainland end of the causeway, I had been told by somebody that it was a good spot to camp. The Berwick officer got back to me to say "I've had a quick look at the web site and have noted the comments re Holy Island. The car park referred to was created to take waiting traffic off the main road leading on to the tidal causeway - due to poor sight lines and a high accident risk prior to the causeway. While there are no relevant parking signs, this area does form part of an English Nature reserve covering the coastal strip and Holy Island. I would suggest checking with English Nature regarding any restrictions on camping, etc within the reserve.".
I recall that English Nature had a blanket ban on camping within the reserve.

As usual, the restrictions which also prevent daytime parking are a result of people camping because it suits them, rather than bothering to check because they might get an answer that they don't like.

As usual it won't be long before there are changes to the main car park too on the island.
As we left last night around 7.45pm it was obvious 2 vans were camping overnight, sat outside supping lager they had just put silver screens on as well.
Minority's always spoil things for everyone.
Regarding the weight restriction not sure why that is in place it just deters people.Strictly speaking we couldn't park anywhere on the island. Even a lot of panel van conversions are above 3.5 tonne too.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back