LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As usual it won't be long before there are changes to the main car park too on the island.
As we left last night around 7.45pm it was obvious 2 vans were camping overnight, sat outside supping lager they had just put silver screens on as well.
Minority's always spoil things for everyone.
Regarding the weight restriction not sure why that is in place it just deters people.Strictly speaking we couldn't park anywhere on the island. Even a lot of panel van conversions are above 3.5 tonne too.
No doubt those intending to camp will be among the first to complain if their behaviour causes further restrictions. Unfortunately we are plagued by people who can't see beyond their own convenience.

Often such weight restrictions come about because of the Category B licence restriction and associated legislation. The restriction is actually there to deter usage by heavier vehicles because the car park is neither meant for nor built for usage by heavier vehicles. However much some who have not actually spoken to car park managers may decry the idea, car parks are built to stand regular use by vehicles up to that weight and no more (often less in car parks meant strictly for cars only).

I don't know what the percentage split is for motorhomes above and below 3.5 tonne but, from experience of forums and looking at motorhomes over the last 13 years, I thought by far the majority were under that weight (if nothing else so that they can be driven on a standard car licence).

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Would a traffic warden know if you were over 3.5 t?
Peggy is a 6 berth, but under 3.5T so I would love to see them argue with us on that one.
MrA & I don't mind staying on farms, but then we have both worked on them & I lived on one for a while......even so there still would be limits.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
No doubt those intending to camp will be among the first to complain if their behaviour causes further restrictions. Unfortunately we are plagued by people who can't see beyond their own convenience.

Often such weight restrictions come about because of the Category B licence restriction and associated legislation. The restriction is actually there to deter usage by heavier vehicles because the car park is neither meant for nor built for usage by heavier vehicles. However much some who have not actually spoken to car park managers may decry the idea, car parks are built to stand regular use by vehicles up to that weight and no more (often less in car parks meant strictly for cars only).

I don't know what the percentage split is for motorhomes above and below 3.5 tonne but, from experience of forums and looking at motorhomes over the last 13 years, I thought by far the majority were under that weight (if nothing else so that they can be driven on a standard car licence).

I have to disagree with part of that, the car park is enormous and the back grassed area is motorhomes only.
They could easily make provisions for over 3.5 tonne in one area or use part of the coach park for over 3.5 tonne.

It sounds like most people don't adhere to that limit and park anyway regardless same as we did.
The problem is no one has really mastered the 3.5 tonne weight limit alongside good build quality and a useable payload.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have to disagree with part of that, the car park is enormous and the back grassed area is motorhomes only.
They could easily make provisions for over 3.5 tonne in one area or use part of the coach park for over 3.5 tonne.

It sounds like most people don't adhere to that limit and park anyway regardless same as we did.
The problem is no one has really mastered the 3.5 tonne weight limit alongside good build quality and a useable payload.
Easily? Have you asked them? There could well be several reasons why not - but it might be worth suggesting it to them anyway ().

If people "park anyway regardless" they can't complain if they get a ticket, nor if further restrictions are imposed.

I certainly wouldn't agree with the final sentence. We have no such problems with our 2003 Burstner (which we have had for seven years).
As mentioned, from using forums for 13 years it seems that the majority of vans fall into the same class.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Easily? Have you asked them? There could well be several reasons why not - but it might be worth suggesting it to them anyway ().

If people "park anyway regardless" they can't complain if they get a ticket, nor if further restrictions are imposed.

I certainly wouldn't agree with the final sentence. We have no such problems with our 2003 Burstner (which we have had for seven years).
As mentioned, from using forums for 13 years it seems that the majority of vans fall into the same class.

The main thing is people staying overnight illegally which will alter things and I don't think they give 2 hoots about someone a little over 3.5 tonne. No one even knows or cares, it's the people blatantly staying over when it clearly says you can't which will affect us all.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The main thing is people staying overnight illegally which will alter things and I don't think they give 2 hoots about someone a little over 3.5 tonne. No one even knows or cares, it's the people blatantly staying over when it clearly says you can't which will affect us all.
You're most likely right whilst it is only one or two. Trouble is, as we have seen so often, disregard of the rules tends to grow.

Let us know how you get on with asking Northumberland CC about altering the car park.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

I would agree that the majority of mh's are sold and registered as under 3500kgs. I do wonder what proportion are still under when in use?

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Was there last week and we are 7t. Never bother with the car park when just visiting. Loads of places to park on the causeway and then get the bikes out to go into the village.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I would agree that the majority of mh's are sold and registered as under 3500kgs. I do wonder what proportion are still under when in use?
No idea. I know ours is, and our previous one was well under as it was a lighter vehicle.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I bet most 4 berths coachbuilts and A class are over with 4 occupants and their stuff.
As I say, I have no idea. Something for you to research? :)

If they are then it is because people have bought vehicles not suited to their requirements (they always have the option to purchase nothing if there is nothing suitable on the market).
I expect, though, that some of our fellow members will expect us to condone breaking of the law by people driving an overweight vehicle as well as breaking the law by camping or parking where it is prohibited :D

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
As I say, I have no idea. Something for you to research? :)

If they are then it is because people have bought vehicles not suited to their requirements (they always have the option to purchase nothing if there is nothing suitable on the market).
I expect, though, that some of our fellow members will expect us to condone breaking of the law by people driving an overweight vehicle as well as breaking the law by camping or parking where it is prohibited :D

Alternatively I might suggest that some converters lie about the specifications of their product.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back