Free Member
Mar 5, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been at it 18 month
Hi newbie here so new i havent yet bought a van, my plan is to buy a motorhome with an internal garage to carry a motorbike bike in and then tour europe. I would appreciate any tips and will be posting questions some may seem very basic to yourselves, but as the saying goes if you dont ask you dont get.

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Hi and :flyingwelcome:

Dale & Family

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi redchad.
:welcomefunster:
Welcome to the world of fun.
We are more than happy to answer questions, someone on here is bound to know the answer or know how to find it.

Dave.:thumb::thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
:welcomefunster:Hi Redchad, welcome to motorhome fun, ask away what ever the questions someone usually has a answer, good luck with your search

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome :thumb: ask away ::bigsmile:
terry

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hello

Are you dead set on a big internal garage? This usually means a fixed bed above which means not a lot of space in the van for day and evening use.

We had a rack fitted by Armitage Trailers in Ferrybridge. This means the bike travels on the back and goes easily on and off by means of a ramp which attaches to the rack. This leaves us with a big rear lounge and front kitchen and dinette.

The thing you have to watch for is the weight. Motorhomes have a user payload which is the amount of weight left over for your stuff. Fitting a motorbike in a garage or rack is usually too much for most vans to cope with in that they dont have enough available payload to take the weight on the rear axle. If your planning on taking a big bike then you may need a trailer. Ours is a 100cc Peugeot Speedfight and at 95KG is about as lightweight as you will get after a moped.

Link Removed

There is a good guide to fitting a scooter rack here.

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/advice/safe-loading-and-payloads

Armitage Trailers

http://www.armitagetrailers.com/index.htm

OP
OP
redchad

redchad

Free Member
Mar 5, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been at it 18 month
Thanks everyone some interesting advice looks like my plans are changing already it seems the bike i want will be to heavy for an integral garage.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
At least you are going about this the right way, ask questions first, not as too many do buy van then find they have made a potentially expensive mistake.

Hope you find what you want.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi an welcome to the site, to add to the change of plans. If a bike is carried in the garage it is considered goods, so will affect you insurance, and MOT and possibly your driving licence class.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Welcome, redchad, and watch no-one changes your moniker to 'wretched' - there are some here who do that sort of thing, naming no names...

Anyway, I agree completely with Desco, which is why I joined, and I've never been let down yet. Never be ashamed if to others it's the art of the b-- obvious.

Enjoy the Fun - we do, even, no especially, when the MH is 600 miles away

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
Hello Good Evening and Welcome.............

Ever considered an electric bike? Can be a lot lighter and fun! Well it's fun if your not the one pedaling it!

Andrea

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back