HGV with invalid badge? | MotorhomeFun | The Motorhome Support and Social Network

HGV with invalid badge?

Feb 19, 2018
Funster No
If due to arthritis you cannot walk more than 60 mtrs and apply for an invalid parking badge, will it affect your HGV entitlement?

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Bargoed, North Of Cardiff.
Funster No
MH
Fiat Starblazer XL
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018
Most definitely yes, I would inform DVLA for advice.

Ps,
Read the above assuming the OP had his HGV for lorries, didn’t think of a RV.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
J10 M40
Funster No
MH
Bucher Duro 6x6 motorhome
Exp
since 1968
I didn't think driving a vehicle over 3.5 ton involved a lot of walking ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Depends on the reason for needing the invalid badge I would have thought. It might be well worth considering what grounds to apply on I suspect its very difficult to retract anything that is said in the application and if your GP is signing it they would have to take it into account in considering the HGV renewal.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto A Class
Exp
Since 2010
First of all it’s not an invalid badge, it’s a blue badge. There are several funsters whom I’m aware of, who are wheelchair bound, and one of them definitely drives a hand controlled HGV RV and tows a trailer with his car on. Perhaps they may be along to clarify.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have a blue badge and no restriction on driving my hgv motorhome. would be different if I wanted to drive a lorry commercially

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
10000 miles and 300 nights in 3 years
Most definitely yes, I would inform DVLA for advice.

Ps,
Read the above assuming the OP had his HGV for lorries, didn’t think of a RV.

Our motorhome is 4.25t
I am on DLA and get mobility allowance and therefore pay no roadtax on one vehicle - I chose the motorhome without any problems

I stick my blue badge in the windscreen clip when driving or passenger - as long as the badge user is IN the vehicle there's no problem

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I know 2 full time lorry drivers both of whom have HGV / LGV licences both of whom have no legs, both have blue badges.
When I was Marshaling festivals we had a guy came regularly to events, had only one leg. Who was still a working As an H G V driver. He had a 5th wheel rig too.

Mar 28, 2017
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 794
If due to arthritis you cannot walk more than 60 mtrs and apply for an invalid parking badge, will it affect your HGV entitlement?
You should use a GV 1 form to inform the DVLA of any medical condition that affects your entitlement to drive an HGV ,seek advice from your Doctor first it may be you dont need to inform normally he will inform them should you need special controls etc.

Pit

Jun 23, 2020
North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Rapido 962M
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I only handed back my HGV entitlement licence due to coming up to my medical and having no intention for using my HGV in the future. I can however request to have it put back on my Licence. Like the Original Poster Leisure Man, I lost the ability to walk without any aid due to the form of Arthritis I have also. I was never told that I had to inform the DVLA as my Arthritis as I did not affect my ability to drive, just walk. Luckily for me the BioMechanical Clinic got my back up and almost running again, as I was facing the rest of my life is a wheelchair if they couldn't help me. I have been walking again for the last five years pretty much as normal with the very rare day that I have pain in hips. If I had of ended up in a wheelchair then I would have had to inform the DVLA. I may have had to inform them if I was still working, and not a House Husband. That said I wouldn't have been able to work anyway.
I was refused a Blue badge even though I could barely cross the road with my crutches. It still makes me wonder how some get their badge that were far more capable of walking than I was. If I did receive one I would have happily given it up when I was sure I didn't require it.

Rhino Installs
West Country Motorhomes
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians