HGV with invalid badge? (1 Viewer)

Leisure man

Free Member
Feb 19, 2018
Funster No
If due to arthritis you cannot walk more than 60 mtrs and apply for an invalid parking badge, will it affect your HGV entitlement?

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Most definitely yes, I would inform DVLA for advice.

Ps,
Read the above assuming the OP had his HGV for lorries, didn’t think of a RV.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Depends on the reason for needing the invalid badge I would have thought. It might be well worth considering what grounds to apply on I suspect its very difficult to retract anything that is said in the application and if your GP is signing it they would have to take it into account in considering the HGV renewal.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
First of all it’s not an invalid badge, it’s a blue badge. There are several funsters whom I’m aware of, who are wheelchair bound, and one of them definitely drives a hand controlled HGV RV and tows a trailer with his car on. Perhaps they may be along to clarify.

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
What happens if it is a self-driving vehicle? Are you just considered to be a passenger?

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Most definitely yes, I would inform DVLA for advice.

Ps,
Read the above assuming the OP had his HGV for lorries, didn’t think of a RV.

Our motorhome is 4.25t
I am on DLA and get mobility allowance and therefore pay no roadtax on one vehicle - I chose the motorhome without any problems

I stick my blue badge in the windscreen clip when driving or passenger - as long as the badge user is IN the vehicle there's no problem

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I know 2 full time lorry drivers both of whom have HGV / LGV licences both of whom have no legs, both have blue badges.
When I was Marshaling festivals we had a guy came regularly to events, had only one leg. Who was still a working As an H G V driver. He had a 5th wheel rig too.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
If due to arthritis you cannot walk more than 60 mtrs and apply for an invalid parking badge, will it affect your HGV entitlement?
You should use a GV 1 form to inform the DVLA of any medical condition that affects your entitlement to drive an HGV ,seek advice from your Doctor first it may be you dont need to inform normally he will inform them should you need special controls etc.

Pit

Free Member
Jun 23, 2020
North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Rapido 962M
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I only handed back my HGV entitlement licence due to coming up to my medical and having no intention for using my HGV in the future. I can however request to have it put back on my Licence. Like the Original Poster Leisure Man, I lost the ability to walk without any aid due to the form of Arthritis I have also. I was never told that I had to inform the DVLA as my Arthritis as I did not affect my ability to drive, just walk. Luckily for me the BioMechanical Clinic got my back up and almost running again, as I was facing the rest of my life is a wheelchair if they couldn't help me. I have been walking again for the last five years pretty much as normal with the very rare day that I have pain in hips. If I had of ended up in a wheelchair then I would have had to inform the DVLA. I may have had to inform them if I was still working, and not a House Husband. That said I wouldn't have been able to work anyway.
I was refused a Blue badge even though I could barely cross the road with my crutches. It still makes me wonder how some get their badge that were far more capable of walking than I was. If I did receive one I would have happily given it up when I was sure I didn't require it.

oldpatchwork

Free Member
Jan 29, 2018
Basildon Essex
Funster No
MH
DIY Ex Police Spinter
Exp
Ex Tent Camper new to motor homes
I have had a heavy goods licence since 1970 (HGV 1) and _I passed the bus test in a manual double decker in 1990 but I never drove them professionally much only some agency driving
mainly i drove the vehicles as a motor mechanic which i retired from 3 years ago
I have had Parkinson's disease for the past 6 years and each year they have renewed all my entitlements and 10 years ago I had a TIA mini stroke. My back has also collapsed which means i have had a blue parking badge for over 3 years unable to walk far with out help so all that it means that if your driving is safe that is what they are concerned about
Patrick

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
I have had a heavy goods licence since 1970 (HGV 1) and _I passed the bus test in a manual double decker in 1990 but I never drove them professionally much only some agency driving
mainly i drove the vehicles as a motor mechanic which i retired from 3 years ago
I have had Parkinson's disease for the past 6 years and each year they have renewed all my entitlements and 10 years ago I had a TIA mini stroke. My back has also collapsed which means i have had a blue parking badge for over 3 years unable to walk far with out help so all that it means that if your driving is safe that is what they are concerned about
Patrick
Did you inform the Dvla ? Not sure about 10 years ago but today if you have TIA minimum 12months loss of HGV / Bus license .Interested to know how they determine your safe to drive did they make you take a test ?

oldpatchwork

Free Member
Jan 29, 2018
Basildon Essex
Funster No
MH
DIY Ex Police Spinter
Exp
Ex Tent Camper new to motor homes
Hi Jenka I have kept the DVLA fully informed and of course as you say I did not drive HGV for a year in case I had a full stroke at the wheel. they rely on the hospital consultant or my GP who they send a questionnaire. at the moment my licence is due for renewal and this year I am going to give up driving the heavy stuff but still drive the smaller vehicles.
Strangely enough they have never tested me although a mate of mine had to do a treadmill test (he has crones disease ) another myth is if you don't take a medical for a few years you would have to resit the driving test but you don't. all that is necessary is to fill in the forms and claim it back
Patrick

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I have a blue badge and no restriction on driving my hgv motorhome. would be different if I wanted to drive a lorry commercially
Not asking what your condition is but can you tell me what is the difference between having motorhome and commercial hgv entitlement? Is it as the motorhome is less than 7.5t?
I keep my class 1 renewal up to date and am aware that if I don’t renew it won’t remove my up to 7.5t entitlement as passed car test in early 80’s unless I have any condition that would remove that too.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I didn't think driving a vehicle over 3.5 ton involved a lot of walking ?
I did in my day, Mainly hand ball and by the time you have walked from front to back of a 40ft box van to unload 20 odd ton you have walked quite a bit..Easy to start with but gets progressively further.BUSBY.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Not asking what your condition is but can you tell me what is the difference between having motorhome and commercial hgv entitlement? Is it as the motorhome is less than 7.5t?
I keep my class 1 renewal up to date and am aware that if I don’t renew it won’t remove my up to 7.5t entitlement as passed car test in early 80’s unless I have any condition that would remove that too.
Need to take CPC test regularly for commercial hgv not sure for mh

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
as long as you are not using the vehicle for higher or reward, however, this has caught a few out for example , using a horse box to carry a friends horse, if they give you fuel money or even buy the breakfast, it is reward.

Again it is very difficult to police.

a scaffolder who using the vehicle (not as his main role) to carry his working equipment to site does not need a cpc a MH is no a commercial vehicle unless you are a 'paid driver'

Check if you need Driver CPC to drive a lorry, bus or coach - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
DCPC is not a test and just attendance required . You must complete 35 hrs over a 5 year period on subjects related to your job . Hopefully now out of eu it will be scrapped total waste of money but I doubt it .

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
You have those dreams as well. Haha
Its not going anywhere, or none of our drivers who do not hold one will not be allowed to drive in Europe as under that countries law they will not be qualified.

But of course all the EU drivers will be allowed to drive in the UK, so that would be another hurdle of our haulage industry to overcome.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
I keep hoping they will have self driving trucks and I will be on the dole and just jog up to retirement, but that’s not happening either. Haha
I'm with you on that one

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back