Help to make a desicion please

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Hayleylulu, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu Banned

HI all am struggling to make a decision about my 17yr old dog lulu. Shes is now deaf her sight is failing and she has recently started to be incontinent of urine most days now .IS it time or am i being selfish in wanting to keep her PLEASE HELP:Sad::Sad::Sad:

2. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Bruno was rear end incontinent which was easier to cope with.

I think that you have asked the question you know the answer.

God Martin I feel for you mate.

3. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

Hi Martin

Real tough decision and only you can make it.

I think you have to do whatever is best for Lulu, whatever that is.

Dogs really pull on your heartstrings.

Lesley

4. sedge

sedge Funster

I echo what has been said already .... if the old lady's kidneys are failing she could be in pain, Martin .....

{{{Hugs}}}

5. Parcverger

Parcverger Funster - Campsite Owner

We had a similar problem with our lovely 17 year old black labrador, who was on increasing medication for various problems, and whose back legs then started to go, so she kept falling on the stairs. We had always promised that we would not allow her to suffer; it was a terrible decision, so we empathise with you. You can only do what you know is best for the dog. If it comes to the worst, there are rescue dogs who would welcome a good owner like you, so you do not have to be without a companion.
    Bob

6. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Sorry you have got to make this hard decision, but feel if you are asking yourself the question then you know the answer.

• Like it Like it x 1
  7. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

It is an awful decision to make and I put it off longer for our Zoe than Bob would have done, but then Bob was not making the call. In the end she lay down and 'said' she had had enough. It was awful but there was no doubt in my mind.
    What I did do was call the vet out to us, something I have done with the last three of our furry family that have had to leave us. No pulling about, just a quiet wait and time for more private tears afterwards. Our friends have always been buried in the garden though the vet would take them away if this was not possible or wanted.
    An awful time and a choice only you can make. Lulu sounds much loved. Jane :Sad:

8. Drew

Drew Funster

I have had to make the decision twice before so I know what you are going through, it is probably the hardest thing to do but you have to think of Lulu's welfare. Take advice from the vets but in the end it will be your decision and no one will think badly of you whichever way it goes.
    Wishing you and Lulu the best and try to remember all the good times, I found it helped.

9. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Sorry to hear about Lulu

There is nothing stopping you taking her to the vet and asking their opinion.

Is there something they can do regarding the incontinence? If you dont ask you dont know.

Personally I could not see any animal in pain.

Theres also quality of life for Lulu and quality of life for you - clearing up the messes etc.

Animals often gives humans an indication of when its time to let go.

Its a tough choice and my thoughts are with you no matter what choice you make xxxxx

• Like it Like it x 1
  10. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

I think if you have to ask the question, you know the answer. Delay will only hurt more. Just look at her photos after and smile. Let us know how you get on. I'm really thinking of you. :Sad:

:Sad:Ivy

11. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

It comes down to quality of life - if you feel she is suffering, then maybe the most horrid decision an owner has to make has come.

If she is not in pain, and gets around ok, there are nappies available for dogs - how long you continue is up to you. But if you feel her quality of life is deminishing, and she is not happy, set her free.

Though heart breaking, you have a given a dog a good home with lots of love....so she has been very lucky!:thumb:

12. The V10 Squad

The V10 Squad Read Only Funster

decision

Hi sorry your pet is at that stage, we have had 5 dogs and never an easy choice, but all I would say is if you can make it for your pets quality of life if
    you can, hope it helps -( steph and John:Sad:

13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Sorry Martin, cant advise you, but can sympathise, as we are in the same predicament and cant decide ourselves....two fold.

our retriever is extremely incontinent and arthritic.....she can pee maybe 30 times a day and many times just lays where she is and pee's 'cos she cant get up quick enough.....but another day she's playing with the others like a young 'un. she's 9 years old :Sad:

jack russell is 99% blind and deaf....walks into things and cant see her food bowl unless you put her head in it....yet she's full of life, a real hard decision...she's 13 years old.

like us, you know what to do but find it hard to actually do it. :Sad:

14. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

I feel for you, we also called the vet to our home for the old cat who was fitting every few minutes at the end. The vet came and the cat was in familiar surroundings with those who loved him. We did not want to distress him any further by putting him in the car and a 5 mile journey. He is buried under his favourite apple tree.
    You will know without doubt when the time comes.
    So sorry

15. Gran & Rog

Gran & Rog

Heartbreaking, but a choice we all have to make when we have pets.

Our thoughts are with you

16. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

We have 2 dogs one 13 the other 3.
    I love them both as you do pets , you cant help but not .
    But if one was suffering in any way , or incontinent either way , and not able to be kept out side in a pen , i would have it put down.
    We do get attached to animals , it is a hard decision , and I would have to be the one to make it and take it to the vets too. Ralph wouldn't be able to do it.

But then again i agree with euthanasia too. We can give our pets one last gift of love but not our nearest and dearest.
    Watching 3 grandparents starve to death and waste away , whilst being given more and more morphine has that effect on you i think. Horrible :Sad:

• Like it Like it x 3
  17. tofo

tofo Funster

our pepi a cocker spaniel lost the use of her back legs twice in a fortnight
    second time no recovery so we had to let her go at 12 yrs old

our buster suddenly developed a liver problem
    2-3 weeks start to finish
    he told us it was his time
    when he couldn't get to the back of our small garden (28 ft)
    took 3 lay down stops and on the last stop
    he sort of looked in a way that said cant do this help me

hard decision but he had no quality left .

our tuppence busters sister developed blindness at the same time
    but she has coped well with her blindness both were ten years at the time
    she's now 11and a half

we have agreed now there will be no operations in future as we feel she's too old a dog
    to put through such stress

but in posting the question i feel your answering your own question
    if she has very little quality of life then save her the suffering
    its an extremely hard decision to make but only you can decide

18. the stig

the stig Funster

Martin, we always know what the right decision is, it's just coming to terms with it.
    Thank God for memories, thinking of you
    from one dog lover to another
    Love n Hugs
    Andrea
    xx

19. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Sorry to hear this Lynn and Martin, 17 is a good age, you know that. You also know the answer. Though it may be difficult it is the last thing you can do for her.

20. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster Life Member

Agree that it is a difficult decision - whichever way you decide you will always question it later and possibly even for years - dogs have total trust in their owners and look to us to make decisions and I agree will let you know when the time has come - have had to make that decision too many times now - if the question is should you then look at the dog and decide whether they are still happy - most dogs only want to make you happy and the last thing they want is to mess on the floor - one of our previous dogs had incontinence problems and it really worried her - the decision was taken from us as she totally lost the use of the back half of her body. That last drive is the hardest one.