Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Serious question:

Would you go on holiday in the van this Saturday if you had just discovered mice?

We are contemplating cancelling the holiday but unsure if making a mountain out of a molehill.
I wouldn't cancel. I don't think any of us would move out of our houses because of finding a mouse or two; we would/do set traps &c

The likelihood is that removing/cleaning/replacing everything will have scared away any mice other than the single one you already disposed of (that's if there was more than one in the first place) and there is nothing to stop you setting traps in the van whilst you are away, just in case.

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I wouldn't cancel. I don't think any of us would move out of our houses because of finding a mouse or two; we would/do set traps &c

The likelihood is that removing/cleaning/replacing everything will have scared away any mice other than the single one you already disposed of (that's if there was more than one in the first place) and there is nothing to stop you setting traps in the van whilst you are away, just in case.

It just seems a confined space to share with the critters.

I take your point though.

Thanks for talking sense::bigsmile:

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Serious question:

Would you go on holiday in the van this Saturday if you had just discovered mice?

We are contemplating cancelling the holiday but unsure if making a mountain out of a molehill.
I would go on holiday but do a one night somewhere first-- say on Tuesday-- to test they have not damaged somewhere by eating through cables ect.
Check seat belts as well as they ate through my friends and also have the Luton out if you have one as they were in the mattress there.
Take traps with you but keep banging around and frighten the buggers out.
Put a neighbours cat in there until you leave :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Good luck :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Don't let it spoil your holiday Treacle im sure you can buy motion sickness pills for the mice:winky:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
if your going somewhere warm and sunny, they may disembark for a sunbath, move on befor the sun goes down, :Cool:

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I see my plea for serious answers fell on deaf ears::bigsmile:

Would Rentakill or someone be able to help?

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Gassing will get rid of them::bigsmile:

Buttons....I hope you are not starting the gassing thread off again:Doh:...OK.. just a small gassing thread then....as we have not had one for while....Don't tell me!!!!!!! you know a friend of a friend of a friends mothers cousin's next door neighbour who new a man in Spain speaking to a German who said that this Nederland's man had heard of a mouse on the Portuguese border of Spain being gassed....and while the mouse was unconscious some low life had set all his security traps off..and had stolen / pinched all his cheese, peanut butter, sultanas out of the traps ..the mouse (who's name will remain anonymous) is now claiming off the house insurance:Doh::winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sorry Chris...but a mouse claim and gassing in a motorhome in Spain is serious

Or you could get your mice....put them into a treadmill wired to one of Snowbirds alternators producing green energy and pass them on to Burstner to help save on his Energy Saving Plan

Job Done:winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
:cry:...............Mel...................:winky:

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Treacle , don't abort your trip for a few mice, they will not harm anyone.
Locate wherever they have been by looking for droppings and evidence of chewing, then get some granular mouse/rat poison and place in small thin polythene bags and place wherever the mice have been. By putting it in bags it will not spread everywhere when eventually you drive your Mhome.
Be sure to keep it in areas where the neighbours cat or dog can not get to it.
I live in the country and have used this method to good effect at home.

Have a great holiday.

PS there are many on this site that extract the urine hence Motorhomefun , the best place to be for motorhomers :thumb: well not quite as good as the best RV forum :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Rentakill will charge a small fortune :Eeek: simply buy the sticky pads ( or treacle on flat tray::bigsmile:) or traps -the mice will find any food left overnight and if you have set traps correctly comit haricari ::bigsmile: Rk will only stick poison down in there boxes :Doh:
Terry

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Something that nobody has mentioned is to check how they are getting in. We store our motorhome at a local farm, kept in a dutch barn. A few years ago we found evidence of mice but no live ones! We were advised to check for entry points, Robin climbed underneath and found that the seal of one of the cable entry point was not on properly,we had recently had a service and had not been reseated correctly. They only need a tiny entry point so this may be woth checking and might solve your problem.
Good luck!!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Buttons....I hope you are not starting the gassing thread off again:Doh:...OK.. just a small gassing thread then....as we have not had one for while....Don't tell me!!!!!!! you know a friend of a friend of a friends mothers cousin's next door neighbour who new a man in Spain speaking to a German who said that this Nederland's man had heard of a mouse on the Portuguese border of Spain being gassed....and while the mouse was unconscious some low life had set all his security traps off..and had stolen / pinched all his cheese, peanut butter, sultanas out of the traps ..the mouse (who's name will remain anonymous) is now claiming off the house insurance:Doh::winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sorry Chris...but a mouse claim and gassing in a motorhome is serious

Or you could get your mice....put them into a treadmill wired to one of Snowbirds alternators producing green energy and pass them on to Burstner to help save on his Energy Saving Plan

Job Done:winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
:cry:...............Mel...................:winky:
The mice could be gassed while they sleep and they wont remember a thing.:Wacko:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If you go down poison route put a light dusting of flour aroud the edges of floor cupboards and on work tops and look for prints :thumb: No prints overnight means no mice ::bigsmile: they /it will have gone and died in a dark place for you to discover it's mumified body months down the road :winky:
Terry

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Dont want to alarm you treacle but my brother had mice/rats in his van while it was parked in his drive. It cost his insurance around 10k to replace wiring looms, furniture and to get them out. The wall insulation had become a maze of tunnels. :cry:

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Dont want to alarm you treacle but my brother had mice/rats in his van while it was parked in his drive. It cost his insurance around 10k to replace wiring looms, furniture and to get them out. The wall insulation had become a maze of tunnels. :cry:

Not at all worried Buttons...:cry:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
On a serious note, should we all have mouse traps in our vans? We haven't, never had problems but I don't want them anyway. I certainly wouldn't let mice stop me from going away and I would only have thrown away anything that had been chewed. The rest can be washed and replaced. I think throwing everything away was a bit of a hysterical reaction. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
On a serious note, should we all have mouse traps in our vans? We haven't, never had problems but I don't want them anyway. I certainly wouldn't let mice stop me from going away and I would only have thrown away anything that had been chewed. The rest can be washed and replaced. [HI]I think throwing everything away was a bit of a hysterical reaction. ::bigsmile:[/HI]
Ivy

So do I . My wife went into panic overdrive.::bigsmile:

Some of it had been chewed, like my daughters booster seat, cuddly toys etc. But the rest had been wee'd and poo'd on.

She spent most of last night ordering new stuff on Amazon.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
So do I . My wife went into panic overdrive.::bigsmile:

Some of it had been chewed, like my daughters booster seat, cuddly toys etc. But the rest had been wee'd and poo'd on.

She spent most of last night ordering new stuff on Amazon.

Sounds like you have a whole family in there Chris :Sad: not just the odd one :Smile:How long has the van been parked up for ?
terry

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sounds like you have a whole family in there Chris :Sad: not just the odd one :Smile:How long has the van been parked up for ?
terry

Only bits had been chewed Terry. I suspect it is more than one though.

We last used the van 2 weeks ago but before that it had been standing since about 10th June.

Its a pain because we use it all the year round and go away in it at least twice a month - until June this year when other commitments meant we couldnt.:Sad:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Chris the sticky traps work best :thumb: or if you want to catch them alive when we were kids we used to use a empty milk bottle propped up on a hose brick with a little bait dropped in,the mice would climb inside for the grub then not be able get back out :thumb:
terry

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Thanks Terry.

We have an arsenal of weapons that will be deployed this lunch time when we return to the storage place to check the traps. One is a steep bucket with a ramp up to the top with bait placed in the bucket. Apparently the mouse can get in , but not out.

I suspect this is quite common in the storage place we keep it. It's surrounded by woods.

I wouldnt usually care - its just the impeccable timing:Doh:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We had a serious mouse infestation once. Put down traps with Nutella as bait and caught 18 over a period of a few days.
Now I always leave a couple of baited traps down, and I have one of Wildmans german repellors on. Haven't caught any for ages so perhaps the words got around the mouse community.
Avoid poison, they're bound to die somewhere you can't find them.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've always been successful with traps, peanut butter or chocolate spread seems to catch them quick.

If you leave your van its always a good idea to leave a couple of traps. I read something somewhere that 1 breeding pair could in theory produce an extended family of 500,000 mice in just one year:roflmto: So in a month of storage, and given enough to eat you could have quite a few thousand stowaways:Smile: Kill them when they enter and you might save yourself the infestation.

We used to leave our motorhome on a farm. We always used to ensure there was no food at all, but we'd always do the chocolate biscuit test. We'd leave the tiniest piece of chocolate biccy on the floor, if it was still there, we new nothing had been in, that's a nice feeling.

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
My garage has its own little community of (field) mice: not too much of a problem in the summer, but they don't like it outside in our Highland winters. If, as I did, you don't want to kill them it's very easy to trap them, and at that I am an expert! You can buy 'humane traps' at B&Q or Homebase - bait them with small pieces of chocolate, (they can't resist it) then when you've caught your mouse you can take it for a walk (not on a lead .... in the trap!! :Doh: then release it.
(Note: If you can poke a pencil through a hole or aperture, that's enough for a mouse to get in!)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If you go down poison route put a light dusting of flour aroud the edges of floor cupboards and on work tops and look for prints :thumb: No prints overnight means no mice ::bigsmile: they /it will have gone and died in a dark place for you to discover it's mumified body months down the road :winky:
Terry

Good idea, if you get their [STRIKE]finger[/STRIKE] paw prints you can then identify the culprit ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Update.

Just been back to the van. We put 3 traps in the garage where I found the last one and 3 in the main cab.

Garage traps untouched. All 3 cab traps had a mouse in them:Eeek:

Thats 4 dead in all.

On the plus side, no fresh droppings.

Re-set them all and will go back tomorrow.

Had a chat with the warden and apparently the rodent population has increased massively. The Rentakill guy yhey employ apparently puts it down to the wet weather. They are going to ask for extra traps around the storage area.

morph

Free Member
Jul 19, 2012
Lancs area
Funster No
MH
RV American Dream
Exp
Newbies
Went to the storage place today to get some stuff in the van ready for holiday next week. Opened the door and smelt a funny smell and sure enough we have mice.
Last used the van 2 weeks ago so I hope it's relatively recent. I have one of those sonic repellents that had run out of batteries:Doh:

Stipped and chucked out all bedding , duvets, pillows, throws, cushions and emptied every cupboard of any conceivable food stuff.

There was evidence on the fixed bed of nesting activity but I just put it all straight into a bin liner. Not too much damage.Emptied the boot and came across a single mouse who was as surprised to see me as I was him. He is now deceased.

Went to B&Q and bought 6 traps which I have baited with Dairy Milk and put new batteries in the sonic thing.

Any other ideas?

I am concerned where all the other mice are and I have checked all I can in the van but there are nooks and crannies everywhere that I cant access.

Do you think there is any chance they are living off site?

Any other tips?

Problem is we are off to Spain on Saturday and I don't really want another family staying with us:Sad:

You can borrow our 2 cats if you like they will certainly have a field day & get rid of them for you.........they bring enough dead ones into the bloody house! Even better you can have them if you love cats as we are seriously needing to rehome them as we are going to be travelling fultime! Great for keeping those pesky mice away and anything else thats moves for that matter of fact !:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back