Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Went to the storage place today to get some stuff in the van ready for holiday next week. Opened the door and smelt a funny smell and sure enough we have mice.
Last used the van 2 weeks ago so I hope it's relatively recent. I have one of those sonic repellents that had run out of batteries:Doh:

Stipped and chucked out all bedding , duvets, pillows, throws, cushions and emptied every cupboard of any conceivable food stuff.

There was evidence on the fixed bed of nesting activity but I just put it all straight into a bin liner. Not too much damage.Emptied the boot and came across a single mouse who was as surprised to see me as I was him. He is now deceased.

Went to B&Q and bought 6 traps which I have baited with Dairy Milk and put new batteries in the sonic thing.

Any other ideas?

I am concerned where all the other mice are and I have checked all I can in the van but there are nooks and crannies everywhere that I cant access.

Do you think there is any chance they are living off site?

Any other tips?

Problem is we are off to Spain on Saturday and I don't really want another family staying with us:Sad:

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That's two 'helpful' suggestions::bigsmile:

I am actually quite traumatised.

Expensive too with all the stuff we have just chucked:Sad:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
If you get to an animal feed store type of place they sell sticky pads that you can put down in strategic places which are more effective than traps.

They are a bit cruel but what the heck they are trespasser.

One word of caution if you put them in the wrong place they stick to bare feet like nowt you have ever stood in before

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Try putting a tray down with your user name on it :thumb:If they do not stick to it at least you will have fattened them up so they cannot crawl through the tiny spaces ::bigsmile:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We found that peanut butter as a bait works well, have you tried serving them with a Notice to prosecute under Criminal Justice Act 1967 Section 5 of the Act or the Public Order Act 1986.

Failing that how about this mouse trap?

If all else fails, gas the little buggers...

Have a great holiday and get some sleep...

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
If you get to an animal feed store type of place they sell sticky pads that you can put down in strategic places which are more effective than traps.

They are a bit cruel but what the heck they are trespasser.

One word of caution if you put them in the wrong place they stick to bare feet like nowt you have ever stood in before

When I was a wee lad we used to have those pads in Glasgow the trade name was *DAK*
they were good :thumb:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Dont use anything as bait.......they will laugh at you, and most of them will escape the trap so you will have provided another food source.
Move the van, and continue with the sonic repellant (with batteries).
This is the culmination of all the advice I took, and it worked:thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We found that peanut butter as a bait works well, have you tried serving them with a Notice to prosecute under Criminal Justice Act 1967 Section 5 of the Act or the Public Order Act 1986.

Failing that how about this mouse trap?

If all else fails, gas the little buggers...

Have a great holiday and get some sleep...

Don't forget the obligatory warning "May contain Peanuts" :Smile:

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Do you wan't to borrow my cat he is a geordie mouser and is really good at his job.No matter how big the mouse or rat he will sort it out highly trained by geordie mafia and Don Geordiana.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I found the ultrasonic dubry wotsit keeps mice away but will not remove mice already ensconced. For that you need traps or poison. Best bait for the traps is Opel fruits or modern equivalent. sticks to the trap and never gets removed without setting off the trap.
As for replacing the batteries. Mine is 12V permanently wired in now it is German made and was bought from fleabay. Evidence of mice visiting once this winter but they did not stay.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I can see whats happened , you live in Kent , a mouse problem in a motorhome(RV) has been reported in Kent earlier this year on the forum , its a plague of immigrant mice from Sangatte through the tunnel :Eeek::Eeek:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Because we have a large garden and fields behind there are always mice around. We have a mains sonic repeller in the house which seems to work because we don't get them coming in (or hardly ever). Never had a problem with the van but that is parked on a gravel drive so not so attractive to mice.

However, we still get mice in our garage so I use [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rentokil-Advanced-Mouse-Trap-Twin/dp/B000T5N0JE"]These Mouse Traps[/ame] baited with sultanas squashed into the bait recess.

They are easier to bait/set than the traditional Little Nippers and easier to release the dead bodies. Also sensitive enough to trigger before the mouse has had a chance to get its teeth into the bait. I bought them at Wilkinsons for a similar price to Amazon.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I recently had a mouse I bought some glue boards of tinternet they are American they smell quite sweet an sickly but boy do they work:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:the company that manufacture them is Pest- Expert .com

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The wife has just talked about cancelling the holiday:Eeek:

I can see her point.

It is quite close living quarters with a bunch of rodents.

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
My wife bought me a book called "Extraordinary uses for ordinary things"
one thing that stuck in my mind was repeling mice it says if you place a few mothballs around and the mice will seek alternative accommodation.
I never tried it myself so i don't know if it works

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
one thing that stuck in my mind was repeling mice it says if you place a few mothballs around and the mice will seek alternative accommodation.

If not, moth free mice:thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Never been able to find male moths, any way its cruel :winky:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Remembering the smell of mothballs from my childhood I think if anyone placed a few around I would be seeking alternative accommodation :roflmto:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I always use the "false teeth" type ones in the workshop, (link below for previous thread). They can be tricky to set, but worth it, I always have success with them unbaited. I haven't set them for months, but will now start setting them again as we had one sitting on the table in the workshop recently:whatthe:
It had been nibbling away on polystyrene for a couple of days, we could hear him/her, but couldn't find it. The following night Bill saw it sitting on the table, not sure who got the biggest fright:Eeek:
Will be setting the traps from now on, the mh is parked on gravel, but if they can chew through a breather pipe in the Volvo, they can get into the mh and do even more damage:Angry:

Good luck with this.:thumb:

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Serious question:

Would you go on holiday in the van this Saturday if you had just discovered mice?

We are contemplating cancelling the holiday but unsure if making a mountain out of a molehill.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back