Help me buy my first Camper/Motorhome please? (Eeeeek!) (2 Viewers)

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
I'm totally inexperienced!
Thanks again to all who recently welcomed me on the Introduction section of the Forum.

As I said there, I live in the northern Scottish Higlands (above Inverness) and I am a photographer looking to buy my first campervan/motorhome to enhance my photography and to travel Scotland (primarily). Sometimes on my own and sometime with my partner and my Labrador. Whilst I have considerable marine building/living experience I have zero motorhome/campervan experience. I hope there’s a considerable difference! I also look forward to learning from fellow members who might be generous enough to share hard won experience.

Please forgive any obvious signs of complete ignorance; I claim no knowledge and I’m aware that reading and internet research can have their faults (That’s why I joined here of course; to broaden my mind!)

My thoughts started with a second-hand van that I could throw a mattress in the back of. Such thoughts were primarily driven by my desire to wake up in distant places for the dawn light (I am a very keen and avid photographer), and by the restraints of budget. I also thought that such a vehicle would have dual purpose as I am refitting/building my old wee house too.

However, I’m lucky that my budget has free’d up considerably albeit I don’t know If it matches my dreams! I’m sure I will eb quickly grounded by those here if not . Here’s some thinking which is not in order of priority or importance….

· I’ve ruled out the typical pop-up campervan due to a) the pop-up (rarely seen one without a tear or damage) and b) lack of loo/shower and c) lack of storage. Am I wrong to have done so? Am I missing something?
· I think I’m in the market for a Class B motorhome; a campervan with loo and shower. I will most likely wish to own this vehicle for up to ten years. I’d like to buy in quarter 1 2019. I will use (providing it is safe to do so), it all year round at weekends.

· I work from home and the vehicle will be kept in my drive (off the road) and will sit unused for at least 5 days at a time throughout the worst of a Highland winter (temps can go -5<-10).
· Most I’ve looked at have been based on the Fiat Ducato chassis with a 230 engine variant. Due to the topography locally, I’d favour a 250 or higher upgrade if it was within budget. Clearly it is a very popular chassis/engine base however I’d be interested in the realities of experienced pros and cons.
· I’d like to buy new (if I can within my budget) or at worst second-hand with no more than 10000 miles.
· Or, I buy a van and employ a conversion company (if so, who?), or do I buy a ready-made reputable brand. Is this a wise consideration for my needs and lack of experience?
· I quite like a large double in the back but I’m less fond of two rear bench seats.
· I need to be able to carry 2 bicycles and add a ladder and roof box at a later stage.

I’ve (probably very naïvely), drawn up a list of must have’s and nice to have’s….

Must haves:

· A large double berth at least 6’3” long (188cm Min)
· Ability to be used in comfort in a Highland winter (off grid)
· Large enough for a couple & labrador (inc a big 6’2” chap who like his space!)
· Decent “garage” or under-berth space (to take such as Honda EU 20i, Mains hook up cable, three Peli cases, Levelling ramps, Snow/Mud Mats etc).
· Stand up head room (for the same 6’2” lump mentioned above).
· Reversing camera
· Fly screens on sliding door and main windows/skylights
· Spare wheel
· Lockable water filler
· New or less than 10,000 miles with warranty
· No wider than a panel van
· Ability to take a ladder, roof box and solar panel/s

It’d be nice:

· “Gaslow” system with external LPG filler and auto switch between tanks
· Loo and shower!
· Automatic
· 4-wheel drive
· 4 berths
· Not longer than 6m
· Built in Pleated Binds on Windscreen and side windows
· Any colour other than white!
· Campervan appropriate SatNav
· TV, aerial etc
· “Local” seller who can service/maintain vehicle
· Awning
· Bullbar
· Seat covers for (at least) the driver and passenger seats – I’ll be hopping in and out in all weathers.

I am keen to get a good understanding of running and maintenance costs. I imagine I will do c. 10-15000 (absolute max) miles per annum.

I’m hoping to get to the Scottish Caravan and Camping show at the beginning of February (work dependent). Should I prepare to make a cash offer at the show? Are such shows an unmissable opportunity for a deal?

If it can be arranged (both in respect of my time and local availability, I would like to rent a similar vehicle for a few days prior to purchase commitment.

Have I missed something obvious? Is there a vehicle variant that fits my needs, a method of entry to the market or a fundamental aspect to consider that has entirely escaped me? What must I avoid at all costs? Which brands offer the best mix of build quality v value? In due course, I’d welcome recommendations and advice as to what I should think about in respect of Insurance, Breakdown Cover, Use of vehicle covers and any Off-Grid tips.

Phew!!! Thank you if you’ve read this far! So may questions and I’m sure many of them very naïve. Please forgive that and the length of this posting. I hope that it at least demonstrates my sincerity and my reason for joining the illustrious company of MotorhomeFun

Best to all for a very Happy Hogmanay. I hope I’m joining you on the road in 2019

Thank you so much. Folk like you mean the world to folk like me.
David

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If you are going to be off grid for days at a time you need to make sure you can fit a second (and maybe third and even fourth leisure battery) plus solar panel(s).

We have a single leisure battery and 100w solar panel and use medical equipment overnight, we got the biggest capacity leisure battery we could find that would go into the space (135 amp hour). We can go two days quite easily off grid in the rain and without moving the van.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
David60

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
If you are going to be off grid for days at a time you need to make sure you can fit a second (and maybe third and even fourth leisure battery) plus solar panel(s).

We have a single leisure battery and 100w solar panel and use medical equipment overnight, we got the biggest capacity leisure battery we could find that would go into the space (135 amp hour). We can go two days quite easily off grid in the rain and without moving the van.

@Puddleduck I completely agree with your wise point; thank you. It is my intention (and on my Must Have list), to at least have the ability to retro-fit solar to anything I buy. My marine experience becomes relevant here and yes, extra house battery/ies are a must. If I can get a vehicle within a suitable price band, I will seriously consider solar and adding 2 x lithium house batteries and carry the likes of a Honda 20iu (to be used ONLY when not disturbing anyone).

I get the impression that most folk who have linked with me will use campsites much more frequently than i intend to. My campervan will not be a holiday-home in the way that many seem to be. Primarily it will be a mobile solid tent that is weatherproof with better facilities and stowage. It's use will be to enable me to wake up and go to sleep in places I'd otherwise have to or from drive through the night. That's why my first thought (and it's not entirely ruled out), was to buy a Merc Vito or a Transit and sling my sleeping pad and sleeping bag in the back when I am heading out for photography.

However the seed grew to where I am now which is very likely to be buying a high top PVC. ....the but (for my use), is that I'll rarely spend a couple of weeks in it and irrespective as to the weather, I'll rarely be sitting in it all day. I also limit myself to 6m because I'll be going down wee tracks and lanes that most folk do'k know about and a) I need to be able to do that, and b) I don't want to hack off the locals.

I am of a hunch that the many instances of inconsiderate campervans that (rightly or wrongly - I personally don't know), fill the pages of our local papers here (thanks to the great NC500 marketing product), will have soon have many smaller roads signposted such as the Bealach na Bà has now (yet gets regularly ignored!). Of course, the size of the vehicle is nothing compared to the skill and courtesy of the driver and their knowledge of teh courtesies of driving on single road s with passing places. However, that's a whole can of worms but if there is any movement in legislation, it will only be more restrictive. I want a van that is within my driving capability on such roads and that I am comfortable reversing several hundreds of yards and that is narrow enough to be used on such roads with consideration.

I firmly believe in leaving no trace of my being somewhere and if I can be discrete and quiet about my access, then all the better.

So yes, I am already compromising my minimalistic view pretty substantially (I've been camping up to now). I really can't afford to be buying three different campers in as many years so I am doing my best to put the graft in now to buy as well as I think I can. I've already spent much time reading and online in recent months. I need to see more vans and I need to digest all the morsals of tasty advice that kind folk such as you proffer in the wonderful community.

........but at some stage, I'll have to make a decision and then bite the proverbial bullet. I'm sure many folk will think whatever choice I make daft however, at least at the time, it will be the right choice for me and my use. Maybe after a while I'll think it a daft choice too! Who knows but whatever, I'll most likely be stuck with it for a while.

Meanwhile, the learning and the looking journey is great craic; enhanced enormously by the fine Funsters of this Forum.

(By the way folks, sorry for mu lousy typing!)
Best for now
D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 5, 2016
Barnstaple
Funster No
MH
VW T5 LWB 2.5Tdi
Exp
10 years
Hi @aogrady ! I don't feel I've been here long enough to have any proprietorial sense of welcoming you! None the less, welcome to this thread at least. Great to have someone else new. That said, it sounds as if you have many times the experience of me :D

What a wonderful part of the world you're in! I love that coast. Yes please; if you find that Mercedes detail I'd be most interested. By all means PM me if you wish with a link.
Meanwhile, many thanks for adding to the thread with your experience, however new :)

Best
David

Thanks, I’m blessed to live where I do, though I would love to venture to the NC500 in the T5, I think it’s more likely to make it than my last VW which was a 1970 T2 baywindow bus, sold 2 years ago...but I digress...

Here are a few links, tried to keep it MB. HYMER 4x4, and a IVECO too, with a few other conversion company’s using MB base.

Could you get a secondhand MB 4x4 and get it converted to your spec within you budget? I need to re read your list, apologies if I’m off the mark with these:

https://www.motorhomes.co.uk/motorhomes-for-sale/hymer/m-lt/580-4x4/1576/

https://www.iveco.com/uk/products/pages/motorhome-iveco-daily-4x4.aspx

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/m...rcedes-campervan-set-for-far-flung-adventures

https://www.rsmotorhomes.com/rs-model-range/equinox/

https://www.cs-reisemobile.de/en/index.html

https://www.rpmotorhomes.com/

http://www.mclarensportshomes.co.uk/

Alistair

Upvote 0
May 5, 2016
Barnstaple
Funster No
MH
VW T5 LWB 2.5Tdi
Exp
10 years

The biggest capacity battery’s and most amount of solar you can fit! I suspect, Scotland, like Devon isn’t amazing in terms of sunlight, compared to Spain etc, so not as much as available light, hence bigger panel/s

My T5 has two skylights, and I have fitted the biggest panel I can get in between, and that is 200w. I also have x2 130ah leisure battery’s. Should keep going for quite a few days, depending on the sunshine....less so in the winter months....

I would guess if you go 4x4 or not, a set of all terrain tyres for off the beaten track wandering....?

Alistair

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks, I’m blessed to live where I do, though I would love to venture to the NC500 in the T5, I think it’s more likely to make it than my last VW which was a 1970 T2 baywindow bus, sold 2 years ago...but I digress...

Here are a few links, tried to keep it MB. HYMER 4x4, and a IVECO too, with a few other conversion company’s using MB base.

Could you get a secondhand MB 4x4 and get it converted to your spec within you budget? I need to re read your list, apologies if I’m off the mark with these:

https://www.motorhomes.co.uk/motorhomes-for-sale/hymer/m-lt/580-4x4/1576/

https://www.iveco.com/uk/products/pages/motorhome-iveco-daily-4x4.aspx

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/m...rcedes-campervan-set-for-far-flung-adventures

https://www.rsmotorhomes.com/rs-model-range/equinox/

https://www.cs-reisemobile.de/en/index.html

https://www.rpmotorhomes.com/

http://www.mclarensportshomes.co.uk/

Alistair

Good stuff but you are talking telephone numbers to order a merc 4x4 new MWB especially with the oberaigner 4x4 conversion.
Same with the Iveco daily 4x4 only special orders, cost a bomb.
Then you have to get them converted.

The RP one will be well over 60 grand with the standard merc 4x4, the oberaigner will take it to over 70k. I have been to see Steve at RP, he is decent bloke and will do anything you want in the conversion.

Upvote 0
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
@Viennese ...just checked it out. Lacks a Must Have for me which is the transverse double at the rear. I don't want rear single couches that join as I'll leave the big tranerse double up all the time and use the "garage" space beneath. Thanks though :D
Sorry David, should have said the Aurora XL, which has a large bed at rear which clips up to reveal massive storage space underneath...and another bed in front. See brochure at https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/18e7d2_9f2ba9fa6c434fe9a304754fa2cb0578.pdf. Second layout down on right. And it has a 30 litre gas tank, no messing around with cylinders. I've had my Constellation WildAx for 6 years and haven't found anything I would rather have! Have a look at Glasgow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Nice first post with a that amount to spend you Shuld get a very nice van
I would go for European one winterised so you can go all year round
And use it in any conditions
Bill

Upvote 0
OP
OP
David60

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
Aw, thank you @Wildbill Here's hoping! Any particular suggestions (brand/model) you feel I should be looking at?
Thanks for joining the thread. :D

Upvote 0
May 5, 2016
Barnstaple
Funster No
MH
VW T5 LWB 2.5Tdi
Exp
10 years
Good stuff but you are talking telephone numbers to order a merc 4x4 new MWB especially with the oberaigner 4x4 conversion.
Same with the Iveco daily 4x4 only special orders, cost a bomb.
Then you have to get them converted.

The RP one will be well over 60 grand with the standard merc 4x4, the oberaigner will take it to over 70k. I have been to see Steve at RP, he is decent bloke and will do anything you want in the conversion.

True, no doubt over budget, but it gives a idea what is available, and surely a second hand one will be in budget?

You can always put the feelers out with these suppliers to get a heads up if any vans may be available?

Alistair

Upvote 0
OP
OP
David60

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
@aogrady Thank you Alistair. It's all good food for thought. Yes, all are out of budget or are lacking in a number of my must have's (see initial post), but such perusing is never time wasted. You've kindly uncovered corners I hadn't yet reached! I'm very grateful for your generosity in joining the thread and your practcal help; Thank you
Best
David

Upvote 0
May 5, 2016
Barnstaple
Funster No
MH
VW T5 LWB 2.5Tdi
Exp
10 years
@aogrady Thank you Alistair. It's all good food for thought. Yes, all are out of budget or are lacking in a number of my must have's (see initial post), but such perusing is never time wasted. You've kindly uncovered corners I hadn't yet reached! I'm very grateful for your generosity in joining the thread and your practcal help; Thank you
Best
David

No worries, perhaps I should have read the brief a bit closer! Glad that it may have opened up other avenues...now if only you can find one with 30k off you’ll be closer to your target! Hope it helped in some small way anyway. :)

Alistair

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
We live in a very rural area (but not as remote as @David60 is planning to go I expect). My experience is that tyres are just (if not more) important than the 4x4. With good winter tyres I could get home when 4x4 and others were either off the road or stuck. Now I don't work for money if i think a 4x4 would be necessary I don't go.

I do have snow chains (used once but not by me!) and an old carpet (slip under the driving wheels for grip - used in mud but not snow).

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Chausson did a very small van, less than 6m. I thought a clever configuration with lounge at the back along one side and part way along the back - and a drop down bed over it - a longitudinal bed not transverse but it was a double so would probably have enough length. The wash room / loo was alongside the lounge. Sorry but I don't know the model and have only seen one example. I thought it would be a good van for a solo who occasionally had someone with them as the loundge seating also converted to a bed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
David60

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
We live in a very rural area (but not as remote as @David60 is planning to go I expect). My experience is that tyres are just (if not more) important than the 4x4. With good winter tyres I could get home when 4x4 and others were either off the road or stuck. Now I don't work for money if i think a 4x4 would be necessary I don't go.

I do have snow chains (used once but not by me!) and an old carpet (slip under the driving wheels for grip - used in mud but not snow).

Wise words @Puddleduck 'Presuming the moniker has no reference to your off-road proclivities! :D:D

Upvote 0

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi David,

I've just read your list and I reckon a Globecar Panel Van Conversion (PVC) is probably right up your street, particularly a Globecar Campscout Revolution. The only downsize is that it's 6.36m in length and not 6m as you wished for in your original spec.

Your nearest Globecar dealer is:

Highland Campers Ltd t/a Highland Campervans Kerrowaird Farm Steading, Dalcross, Inverness IV2 7JQScotland T: +44 (0)1667 493976 E: info@highlandcampervans.com

Best of luck, and a big welcome,:xThumb:

Andrew

We have one of these and we really love it, having had an Autosleeper Symbol which was 5.5 metres long we appreciate the extra space the increased length provides whilst it makes no difference to mpg or manoeuvrability/

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Enough of this small talk, lol. We need to post some pics up so that David can get his juices flowing.

I'll start by posting a picture of the sexiest looking van on the planet (IMO and with caveats): :D:D:D

I call it the A-Team van.

20190106_090619.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
David60

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
Enough of this small talk, lol. We need to post some pics up so that David can get his juices flowing.

I'll start by posting a picture of the sexiest looking van on the planet (IMO and with caveats): :D:D:D

I call it the A-Team van.

View attachment 275811
Juices trickling......:D:D:D unlike the weather here which is blowing a hooley and chucking it down however I did get to watch a family of four otters whilst having my morning cuppa on my deck)
_DH55266 p c.jpg
_DH55255 p c.jpg
_DH55259 p c.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
David60

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
@Blue Knight That is indeed one decent looking van and I have to confess it's getting to the pointy end of my (dynamic) short list. I fear it is possibly just out of budget but if you hear of any 2018 stock needing to be cleared or any low mileage second hand examples, I'd be very, very tempted.

Also like to dog bowl! :D Thought they had integral blinds on the cab windows? ..or are the covers for thermal benefit? (I could of course be so addled now with the amount of vans I've "looked" at these past weeks that I may be getting mixed up with goodness knows what).

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
@David60 with regards to tyres & accessing remote locations suggest having a look at this Facebook https://www.facebook.com/yari.ghidone - Yari takes a lot of the photos on his travels for Poessl & Globecar publications & website has been modding his van to cope with the terrain he visits. He has uprated shock absorbers & tyres on a standard Fiat Ducato van:

48407909_2242483302443190_1283939825568710656_n.jpg

39174737_2067258616632327_4861302456744673280_n.jpg

He does post every day so a lot that may not be relevant to you but at least it shows what is possible without a full blown 4x4.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
David60

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
@David60 - A Knaus Boxcar may fit your brief.
Paddy
Thank you for that suggestion @paddymcc They look pretty attractive at first glance. I'm investigating further. Very good of you to share your thinking. Do you know them to be well built/finished?
Best
D

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
@David60 with regards to tyres & accessing remote locations suggest having a look at this Facebook https://www.facebook.com/yari.ghidone - Yari takes a lot of the photos on his travels for Poessl & Globecar publications & website has been modding his van to cope with the terrain he visits. He has uprated shock absorbers & tyres on a standard Fiat Ducato van:

48407909_2242483302443190_1283939825568710656_n.jpg

39174737_2067258616632327_4861302456744673280_n.jpg

He does post every day so a lot that may not be relevant to you but at least it shows what is possible without a full blown 4x4.

That's a close second Karen to yours and mine :D

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Thank you for that suggestion @paddymcc They look pretty attractive at first glance. I'm investigating further. Very good of you to share your thinking. Do you know them to be well built/finished?
Best
D
I looked at the Boxcar when it first came out about 3yrs ago.It did seem well made and Knaus have a good reputation. I thought that the raising bed in the rear was a good option to create a bigger garage/storage area. The front bed (optional l think) was very clever but impinged too much on the seating/dinette area to be v practical for a family of 3 (as we are). It would however be fine for occasional use or if everyone was going to bed at the same time.

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We also like the modern interior design & build quality of Knaus vans being typical of a German brand & they have some innovative ideas.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
David60

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
Thank you @paddymccc and @Wombles both!

Goodness, there's a lot to digest! I've booked for a couple of days at the Glasgow show and I'm visiting my local dealer this Saturday. With the Forum's help and in particular the well honed advice of the likes of yourselves, I hope to refine my shortlist and get closer to purchase within the month.

Thank you so much
Best
David

Upvote 0

Brucek

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Funster No
Just one thought. You mentioned you are 6'2? I am only 5'10 and just, just, fit in a transverse double across a Ducato PVC. Remember you have the pillow to consider.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
David60

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
Just one thought. You mentioned you are 6'2? I am only 5'10 and just, just, fit in a transverse double across a Ducato PVC. Remember you have the pillow to consider.

Great point @Brucek and thanks for highlighting it. The likes of the Sun Living V60SP has (apparently), a 6'4" width but rest assured (sorry; no pun intended), that I'll buy nothing that I haven't crawled about in and satisfied myself that I can sleep with reasonable comfort in! Thanks so much though as your point is crucial to comfort obviously. Thanks too for joining the thread.

Best regards
D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back