Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Using the Huaewi App, it is possible to receive SMS on a data sim, in a Mifi. It also has the facility to send, but I have never tried it. Load up the App and it is available under Tools. :)

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Using the Huaewi App, it is possible to both send and receive SMS on a data sim, in a Mifi. Load up the App and it is available under Tools. :)
Yes it is possible to send and receive texts with a data sim - when I was at my static doing some refurbishing work (whilst hubby was at home for a week) I'd forgotten my phone but had my mifi with me so was able to send and receive texts until my hubby posted me my phone.

You do, however, have to be careful using a data sim for texts though as you can be charged if they have your details or if it's a PAYG sim it will come off your allowance so not something I would recommend doing. You can't, however, make phone calls with a data sim.

Also just to clarify something that was mentioned earlier, you cannot use a phone sim in a MIFI, or rather you can try but it is likely to be cut off as the providers do NOT allow this and can detect if you are doing so. You can though use a data sim in a phablet (ie a tablet with a sim slot) and use it like a phone, but I've never tried using a data sim in a mobile phone.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
A useful post Mel @Minxy Girl ...
Long time back I tried it both ways round ie phone sim in mifi device and data sim for mifi in my phone... and best I can remember is neither worked so I just assumed it wasn't possible..
How does the mifi device allow texts... do you get a virtual keypad up .. I've received text messages on mine from the sim provider but never tried to send one... and not able to lay my hands on mine right now to try... hence the question..
Thanks Andy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
As I said, using the HUAWEI app it's under tools. :)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
LOL ! and still unable to connect with my 3 data sim that connected in Dover and refuses to connect in Europe. Roaming is set to roaming, sim card is a data sim card (12 g for 1 year) and I keep getting a message strolling across my MiFi go to web UI to reconnect. There is no web Ui and I know the settings in my MiFi are correct as I used it with the same sim card at Dover. I'm totally bamboozled and the campsite WiFi is worse than crap.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
Are you using the Huawei App, if so use it to search for a usable network. Or perhaps you are simply in a dead spot. Here at Twin Lakes, everything was worse than useless when we arrived s month ago, but it has got better lately and we are running today on 2.5G. :D

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks but still no go. My MiFi connects to my laptop and I have even received a txt on the date I inserted it to the effect on how to top up. It identifies the service provider in Spain as Volari or similar but simply refuses to connect even though a good signal is being received. Changed data cards and got same result.

OP
OP
barsteward
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Bit late I know, but thanks for all your informative and helpful posts.
The sim I have is indeed a phone sim and not a data sim but seeing as I'm not that bothered about the internet it's doing what I need to do.
One problem I did have though and may be helpful to someone else.
I found that in parts of France one moment I could make a phone call and the next. I would get a very nice American lady telling me it was not possible to make a call from my number and that I had to ring a help line to find out why!.
I eventually discovered that my phone was set to connect automatically and was connecting to the wrong network. Don't ask me why, but by process of elimination I connected manually and got the right network.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Both my sim cards clearly state data dim for use with tablet, dongle or Mifi. Have finally managed a work around by inserting into my phone bit unable to teather. A mystery for sure

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I don't think we've had clarification yet though if you have a phone sim or a pure data sim ...
My experience was this:
To check out my new mifi (this was about 3 years ago) I bought ÂŁ10 PAYG sim from Three. It worked but after about two days it stopped working and I started getting SMS texts. After working out how to read the texts arriving on the MiFi they said I needed to put the sim card in my phone.
I had of course in my ignorance bought an ordinary phone sim with a data allowance, it wasn't a mobile data sim.
Taking into account this was in the UK and was a few years ago and it was just a single case I think it can still be deduced that a Three phone sim will work in a MiFi but probably not for very long. How long may be related to how much use you give it and of course other networks may differ. For example, I can take my O2 contract sim card and put it in my MiFi and it works well. I often do this in places where Three won't connect.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back