Help 3 data sim. (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
What a numpty I am when it comes to all things even slightly techy.

I bought a pre loaded 3 data sim before setting of for Spain. I thought I had set it up before setting of and all seemed well in the UK.:rolleyes: Anyway I tried the sim in my Heuwei 5330 in France and the message came up no data service.
I then tried the sim in my phone and was able to send text messages and phone my wife's mobile, I am even on here at the moment via the 3 sim.
With me so far?
I cannot however send pictures/data and have just tried to ring Caxton over another problem and can't access UK landlines.
Hope someone can help(y)

Regards@totallyconfusednumpty.com:whistle:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Likewise I'm confused...
Could someone explain ..will a mifi unit accept a phone sim and work, and can a data only sim be used in a phone..?? Had this discussion just last night but still not totally convinced
Sorry @barsteward .. for the question on your thread but it might be relevant after reading your post...
Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
barsteward
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
Ah....Told you I was a numpty I'll just check.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
barsteward
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
It's a Three.co.uk/triosim?

OP
OP
barsteward
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
Likewise I'm confused...
Could someone explain ..will a mifi unit accept a phone sim and work, and can a data only sim be used in a phone..?? Had this discussion just last night but still not totally convinced
Sorry @barsteward .. for the question on your thread but it might be relevant after reading your post...
Andy
Not a problem. If it helps anyone get their heads round all this I'm happy.

I can use Google maps with this sim as well which I thought required data. Doh.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Likewise I'm confused...
Andy
My mifi has a giffgaff payg phone sim but i use cash credit rather than a bungle/package.
1p mb.
If i buy a monthly bundle it only works in my phone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
barsteward
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
My head hurts.
So with my normal BT phone sim I can up upload pictures and also send them as attachments in text messages but with this I can't?
I have data roaming enabled?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My head hurts.
So with my normal BT phone sim I can up upload pictures and also send them as attachments in text messages but with this I can't?
It's a phone sim you have got, won't work in a mi fi, and it probably is not sending photos because you havnt got a good enough signal whereas you have with your other sim.

OP
OP
barsteward
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
Thanks for all your quick responses(y)
Just off to refill the ice bag application now:tmi:

OP
OP
barsteward
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
The good news is the Sun's come out and it's quite warm now in Tinto, just South of Madrid.(y)

Didn't like to say anything till I had the answers.;):whistle:

OP
OP
barsteward
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
Go on then it's your turn to take the mikey now, on reflection I should have posted this before I posted the above.:D

My wife is flying over to meet me on Saturday. If I were to purchase a data sim and she brought it over to Spain would it work 'out of the box'

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Go on then it's your turn to take the mikey now, on reflection I should have posted this before I posted the above.:D

My wife is flying over to meet me on Saturday. If I were to purchase a data sim and she brought it over to Spain would it work 'out of the box'
Yes it should. But she absolutely must buy a data sim, not a phone sim. If buying from a 3 shop she needs to careful as they may sell her the wrong one.

Dec 21, 2016
Pyrenees France
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact Access
Exp
Since 2017
I used a Three (3) data sim straight out of the box in Spain and France and worked in both countries.
Make sure the MiFi you have is unlocked!!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My head hurts.
Using text (and attachments) on your phone doesn't require a data SIM - it doesn't use the data network to do that. Using anything else: email, Facebook, Internet requires a data connection & hence a SIM that allows a data (3G, 4G, etc) connection.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
According to Three you need to put the data sim in a mifi in the Uk first. I went into the shop and asked. Once it has connected for the first time it's ok to use outside the Uk. All the Three Data Sims are set for roaming so you don't have to tell them you are out of the Uk. You do have to set your unit for roaming though.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi barsteward

What you have bought is a Triosim for a mobile phone which will enable your phone to make Phone calls, send Texts and use the internet on the phone.

Triosim means that the sim is supplied capable of being fitted into Android , Apple etc which use different size sims. The Trio sim can be broken down to fit the phone involved.

What you require is a "Broadband - Pay As You Go + 12" this has 12gb of Data preloaded and is valid for 12months from first use or less if you use up the data before hand.. They do +3 and +1 versions which have 3gb and 1gb and valid for 3 months and 1 month respectively. Needlessly the costs vary from £30 for the +12 sim. You can register the sim on the 3 website and if you need to add Gb's if required but be aware that any added Gb's are only valid for 1 month from the start of their use. Ie if you added 12GB it would only last a month.

Is your Mifi a fairly recent 3 unit or has it been unlocked from another supplier. If it is a 3 unit and issued by them since I think Jan 2016 then it should be unlocked.

Have you tried locally for a Spanish Sim to use in the Mifi.

Hope this helps in the meantime if you want to you can download a HuaweiHiLink app which when your Mifi is on will search and then talk to your 3 sim in the mifi and tell you how much data you have used etc.

Doug

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Likewise I'm confused...
Andy
Don't you believe me:LOL: I have a sim with data and calls and it works in my mifi. Munro it's called.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Don't you believe me:LOL: I have a sim with data and calls and it works in my mifi. Munro it's called.

Of course I believe you..:LOL: but I think there is a bit more to it..
Good while since I played about with mine but I'm sure I couldn't get my data sim to work in my phone and likewise the mifi unit wouldn't use the phone sim even though it had data on it...
Not disputing what you told me was working for you:D:D:D
More than me life was worth:LOL: :p:p

Deleted User
According to Three you need to put the data sim in a mifi in the Uk first. I went into the shop and asked. Once it has connected for the first time it's ok to use outside the Uk. All the Three Data Sims are set for roaming so you don't have to tell them you are out of the Uk. You do have to set your unit for roaming though.

I think that may only apply to contract data sims, I have used several 3 PAYG data sims for the first time whilst abroad, as have several others on this forum.

beejay

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
West Dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Newbies, now have a Chausson Flash 08
Hope I'm not hijacking this post but rather than creating a new one, can anyone point me in the right direction to unlock my Huawei mifi? Currently locked to EE, but I want to use Three. The EE simm has expired. Not bought the new data simm yet as bit unsure how to do this.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hope I'm not hijacking this post but rather than creating a new one, can anyone point me in the right direction to unlock my Huawei mifi? Currently locked to EE, but I want to use Three. The EE simm has expired. Not bought the new data simm yet as bit unsure how to do this.
Go on Ebay and put in your MIFI model and you'll find loads of people offering to do it, usually for 99p!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That may be what you've been told but it certainly isn't the case for preloaded data sims so if that's what they were telling you it related to they were wrong ... not unusual as they often haven't got a clue!:D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
What a numpty I am when it comes to all things even slightly techy.

I bought a pre loaded 3 data sim before setting of for Spain. I thought I had set it up before setting of and all seemed well in the UK.:rolleyes: Anyway I tried the sim in my Heuwei 5330 in France and the message came up no data service.
I then tried the sim in my phone and was able to send text messages and phone my wife's mobile, I am even on here at the moment via the 3 sim.
With me so far?
I cannot however send pictures/data and have just tried to ring Caxton over another problem and can't access UK landlines.
Hope someone can help(y)

Regards@totallyconfusednumpty.com:whistle:

Have you read this? Some of the info in it would probably be useful to you:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/three-mobile-broadband-info-preloaded-data-sims.220/

I don't think we've had clarification yet though if you have a phone sim or a pure data sim ...

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I don't think we've had clarification yet though if you have a phone sim or a pure data sim ...
Agreed.
I bought a pre loaded 3 data sim before setting of for Spain. I thought I had set it up before setting of and all seemed well in the UK.:rolleyes:
Was this in your phone or in your mifi?
Anyway I tried the sim in my Heuwei 5330 in France and the message came up no data service.
Was this the first time it had been in the mifi?
A data sim does allow texts. Certainly while it's in a mifi - I've never put one in a phone. I would be surprised if it allowed any calls to a mobile or anywhere else. Is your wife's phone on 3 as well? It sounds to me very much like you have a phone sim, possibly with roaming switched off.

What the staff in the 3 shop told you unfortunately isn't anything to be relied upon. I know that some people have had really good experiences with three's shop staff, but just as many seem to have been led totally astray.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back