Stormbird

Free Member
Sep 9, 2010
Banbury, Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Hi
We are Les and Christine from Oxfordshire who have just become the proud owners of a Celtic Rambler. To be truthful we only just scraped into the price range for these top of the range 5th wheelers and as a result our example is a bit sorry for it's self and needs quite a lot of TLC.
We've joined this site as we have found lots of useful advice from all you members and hope that there are some out there with knowledge that they will share to get us up and running as a unit.
We have a long history of weekend camping with the Camping and Caravaning club and are active members of our local District association which meet a couple of times a month. We are 'grass root' campers, ie in a field with no facilities other than fresh water and somewhere to empty the loo!
We know caravaning inside and out, but this is only our second 5th wheel and we are having to change quite a lot on our pick up to accomodate the Celtic.
So if there are any Celtic owners out there who would be kind enough to help us, we desperately need advice about fitting a different 5th wheel hitch into our Nissan Navara.
We had a reece 16k previously, still in situ at the moment, but to pull the Celtic we would need to add a sidewinder - anyone got any leads about buying one please? Totally skint after this purchase, so as cheap as we can get - secondhand if we can find it!! We have found american sites that list them, but we are strugling to find out which model we would need as we can't find a number on the front of the Celtic hitch - anyone know where it should be?
Our second option is we do have a super glide hitch which came with the Celtic, but no fitting kit - where do we get that from - again - cheap as chips if possible, but owning a Celtic is no cheap option so we are resigned to this!
We also need to add air brakes to the truck, but would like to put the compressor in the Celtic if possible as we use the truck for work and need some boot space!
These are just a few of the questions we have to ask, but if I don't stop now this message will run into pages long, so if anyone out there is an anorak on the subject we'd love to hear from you and also pick your brains about all the other things we want to know about the Celtic unit itself.
Fingers crossed someone has some advice for us
Les and Christine

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and Welcome to Fun
not much help really, but just checking that you have uprated your nav so that it can actually legally pull the CR,
happen i was you i would get intouch with the guy that makes them in Wales

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Les & Christine :welcome: to MotorhomeFun.:thumb:

flyingwelcome

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Hi Welcome to the fun
Sorry Can't help Ref your rig.

I was Born in Banbury, But thats no help to you

Listen Though Nav Owners they have the best info

Regards

Ant & Debs

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Les and Christin, hope you get some answers soon, meanwhile welcome to the fun :thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I think you need to contact one of the uk parts suppliers to see if they can help you, or you could contact Reese direct.
or
you could try this firm stuff sent from the states doesnt usually take that long to arrive.
http://www.reese-hitches.com/product_categories/fifth_wheel.

for uk parts suppliers try
Duncan at Starspangledspanner
http://www.starspangledspanner.com/shop/index.php
or
gold rv
http://www.goldrv.co.uk/

or as stated contact
the fithwheel company
you also say you need the tank and system for the airbrakes and seeing as they fit them they would probably be your cheapest and best bet for that, you will also need your nav re-plating and chipping if it hasnt been done already and possibly air-ride fitted, if you are planning on keeping the nav
This is not what you want to hear but to be honest i would get rid of the nav (it really is not man enough for the unit)and go either yank 250 upwards or a crewcab from the likes of VW, Merc or Transit - that bit of advice comes from having friends that have had CRs who started with navs and didnt like the way they were pushed on occasion by the 5ver.

I think you will poss need at least another couple of grand to sort just with the nav
sorry to be a downer
no one on here has a celtic rambler to my knowledge.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hello
welcome to Fun , and enjoy your new toy:thumb:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
hello

hi there les and christine and a warm welcome to MHF:welcome:regartds brian jo & josh

coupey

Free Member
May 30, 2010
Gateshead
Funster No
MH
5th Wheeler
Exp
Hi this is a great site, full of useful info and funny topics, sorry cant help you with the Nav and brakes, as both of our American 5th wheelers had/have electric brakes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back