Has anyone fitted a drying rail in their bathroom? (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Our last vans have all had excellent drying rails incorporated in the bathroom skylight, simple metal fold down contraptions that give you somewhere to hang wet towels so the water drips into the shower tray below. There is no such thing in our Carthago, but are they retro fittable and if so, where can I get one from? I don't want a pull out retractable cord sort of thing just a solid rail of some kind, but can't find anything in the usual places. Has anyone fitted one themselves?

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We use an expanding rail used normally as either curtain rails or hanging rails.
Got ours on Ebay Link Removed

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We use a tension pole in our bathroom rooflight and it does the trick for us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
image.jpeg
I fitted this in our RV , needed hook up but just 300w with variable settings and a toastie bathroom

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
My Brother has a 230v heated towel rail in his Bessacarr, it does make it toastie when on hook up(y)

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I put a rail above the sink area in our Carthago for drying towels.

It stretches between the 2 vertical wooden bulkheads either side and above the mirror. Your washroom layout may be different.

Anyway, I used a concealed fitting to support the rigid rail at either end. Available at B&Q. I'll provide a B&Q link if you're interested or a pic.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We use Microfibre towels, they dry quickly & easily.
The Hymer shower has a rail round 2 sides so things get hung on there or the back of the chairs.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Remove two of the screws holding the Skylight trim in place (the two furthest apart are best). replace the screws with two big Cup Hooks. Now find a piece of Tubing, even plastic 1" overflow pipe will do, and place in the two cup hooks. Makes sufficient space to hang a few Socks or using Coat Hangers dry a towel and or any other "washing" that will fit. We Clip one of those cheap Oval Drying devices with little pegs onto ours it takes under wear and socks etc; Tea towels. anything that is not TOO heavy.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
FJmike.

Can you please tell me a little bit more about the microfiber towels you using?

colyboy

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
FJmike.

colyboy
I have a range of Lifeventure towels.
https://www.lifeventure.com/products/washgear/softfibre or from most outdoor retailers
I keep the smallest one in my rucksac
The largest ones really are large, so they make a useful curtain behind the cab as well
They're incredibly effective, & will dry in minutes when hung outside (which also re-activates their anti-bac properties) or indoors

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Any DIY store sells chrome plated tube by the metre, cut to size with a hacksaw, file down the sharp ends, and buy the ends to screw to the walls at either end with some Sikaflex to stop any moisture going into the the walls the jobs a goodun! Also use for hanging clothes on in a wardrobe etc. Make sure you leave enough headroom or instal at the back of the shower.

See here for the tube and at the bottom left for the ends to hold to the wall:-

Link Removed

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Blimey (y)

Got any more details on that?

I don't have blown air, my bathroom is colder than a monkeys wotsits!

Can't get info at present but try googling oil filled towel rail , a good choice of sizes .
The one I fitted had a thermostatic level switch.

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
I have one fitted in my Bailey
This one
Link Removed
Excellent!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
FJmike.

colyboy
We bought ours from Decathlon 2x £15 . They are bath size and dry quickly. When old I cut them into squares for cleaning the van etc.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
FJmike.

colyboy
The last lot we bought were from Mountain Warehouse they come in various sizes, I think we had the biggest. Get the ones that have a short fluffy pile as the ones without do dry very well but never seem right to me, a bit like having a rub down with a chammy leather.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We used to have the Life Adventure towels, very good, bit expensive, then we found the Microfribre towels-got ours from Mountain Warehouse.
The feel softer and are warmer to use than the Life Adventure and they're cheaper! They dry just as quickly, and so far (after 2 years of constant use-we fulltime) are holding up well.
I bought one big one each then a 3rd big one which I cut & hemmed as two face towels, did this twice so we have spares!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Blimey (y)

Got any more details on that?

I don't have blown air, my bathroom is colder than a monkeys wotsits!
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Kudox-Electric-Towel-Radiator-400-x-700mm-Flat-Chrome/p/137753

Works a treat. Our loo has a door that "springs" back to make a dressing room. When the loo door is push closed it has not heater outlet.

At night our two 45Kg dogs wait till we are asleep and nudge their way past the door, closing it in th process to sleep down next to us! Not a problem until "A" you walk on a dog in the night and "B" you have to stand a try and pee whilst shivering your what'ists off

Now I take my Kindle and sit for ages reading lol Surprising how little wattage heats a loo!

Apr 8, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
PVC conversion
Exp
30+ years
Agree with Sidney. Mistral 240v heated towel rails are fantastic. Great for drying towels (nice warm towels in morning) etc. Also safe to leave on 24hours, so keeps bathroom warm overnight. Use ours as frost/ dampness protection in winter when van not being used as much, cheaper than a light bulb to run at 45w.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back