Handover (1 Viewer)

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
When you collect your new/used MH/van how was the handover - were the agents diligent and went over every element or was it "to much bother" and you were rushed off the forecourt once they had your money ?
I know from past experience that it is really hard to take on board what your new home has to offer and one has to maintain a focus and try hard to find all those questions that you need to have the answer for. Some of the dealers let you stop overnight on site which I think is a brilliant idea as you can almost "sample" the goods first.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
In fairness to the dealers, it’s an almost impossible job to do properly. Too much for a newbie to absorb and too many variables for the dealer to know about anyway. They need to know every model they happen to handover in detail.

They ought to do it in three levels: Bare essentials, then the other major components, then the finer details and any questions. How long can a person maintain an interest for (possibly an hour at a time)? A good handover is likely to take much more than that.

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
We stayed overnight, but as we were newbies we didn't really know what to ask and there was a lot to take in. We couldn't start the van without the alarm going off. We went back three times just to get lessons on the keys. :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Both vans we have bought from the same dealer both times spent all day there as they are still getting the van ready but if required they will spend as long as we want going through things & they take us out to lunch.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We spent the night after handover on forecourt then 2 nights on a local campsite with follow up calls from dealer both days . Plus they sent us in taxi paid for by them for a meal.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I bought mine then six weeks later travelled from Kendal to Portsmouth to collect it. I'd asked for no handover & no delay so I could make a good start to the return journey. Still took more than an hour of waffle though ..................:(.

Upvote 0

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Marquis at Newbury let me have the owners manual a few days before we picked up the motorhome. I had to take the manual back on the pickup day as they needed to enter the warranty details and dealer stamps but it meant I was familiar with the systems and control panel before handover. It also meant I turned up a list of questions I needed them to run through with me so the handover was customised to my needs rather than wasting anyones time.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We were booked in for a 2-hour handover. I took notes but wish I'd been able to video. We were sent for 2 nights to a beautiful "Tranquil" local site (local to the dealer) but had to take the van back the next morning due to teething troubles; however the 2nd night was carried over for us and we used it for a getaway a few months later.
As complete beginners we did a LOT of reading of manuals etc after purchase, but I think that idea of Marquis' -
Marquis at Newbury let me have the owners manual a few days before we picked up the motorhome.
- is brilliant!

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Our first brand new van and picked it up on a Saturday, bloke who does hand overs didn't work at weekend! Salesman and service manager did a good job though. Had weekend in a local to them campsite, back to dealer on the Monday for handover and to pick up my car, was interesting to say the least.
following year was at a visitor day at Swift factory, they were not happy and were going to speak to the dealer. we weren't bothered but might have been if somethng had gone wrong.
I love reading, so have devoured all the manuals for our vans, wish i had a photogrphic memory sometimes.

Upvote 0

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
We were booked in for a 2-hour handover. I took notes but wish I'd been able to video. We were sent for 2 nights to a beautiful "Tranquil" local site (local to the dealer) but had to take the van back the next morning due to teething troubles; however the 2nd night was carried over for us and we used it for a getaway a few months later.
As complete beginners we did a LOT of reading of manuals etc after purchase, but I think that idea of Marquis' -

- is brilliant!

It was a result of a chance conversation rather than normal business but it worked well for us and thought it might be something others may wish to think about.
The manuals are available online via the Swift website but there were too many pages to print so I had downloaded them to my iPad a couple of weeks before the handover. When I happened to mention to Richard at Marquis that I had sorted out some bedtime reading, he went and got me the actual manuals and let me take them away.

It was a real win-win as they only had to spend time showing us the things we needed to know and 30 minutes later, we were happily on our way for our first night in our new motorhome. It must have been successful because I haven't had to ring them with any questions!

Upvote 0

Norfolk Red

Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
2 Years
Well our recent handover was carried out in a very professional way. this was our second motorhome, so we new a bit, ha ha .

It was still a lot to take in, we had upgraded to us by 8 years with regard to age of motorhome, and a lot has happened in 8 years.
Same as probably a lot of people on here, you take it all in at the time of handover, but lose a bit of it by the time you get out on the road.
We found just playing around and reading manuals was the way, failing that, there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum who can help, and have helped us.

Must finally say UK Camper in Lincoln where we bought our latest motorhome from were excellent, and we took them up on their offer of staying a night at their site to get used to things. They also followed up with a phone call next day.

Mark & Anne.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
All manuals ought to be available in electronic form before you purchase, and not just for motorhomes.
They should also be in an editable form, so that you can delete all the bits that don't apply and correct the ones that do.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Videoing the handover is a good idea so long as you have a third party to do it. If you do it on your own I'm sure it would be distracting for you and the person doing the handover.
Go early and fresh. Have a list of what you expect to be covered. Take notes. Practice/carry out what you've been told. It's pretty clear that owners aren't told stuff or just don't remember it at handover.
Ideally, there should be an optional test at the end. Useful feedback to the dealer on how much is absorbed and how well.

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
I'm picking mine up in about 3 weeks time (patience, patience, :frowny:). They gave me the manual when I had viewed it and decided to buy. So will be able to go with a list of questions. I have been told I will be shown everything and then they will leave me to have a play around and try out things myself for as long as I feel is necessary. Also with the recommendation to stay somewhere local for the first few nights. And the promise that they are on the other end of the phone if there would be something at a later date. Will see what happens in actuality.

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Information overload.
Its not till you start using it, and things dont work, the instruction books come out lol
Bought mine from camperuk, technician who prepares the van does the hand over, so they are familiar with the van.
They allocate half a day, but nothing is too much trouble.
And you can stay at their campsite for a night free of charge.

Upvote 0

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have had a van for a few years now so we knew the basics but when it came to the new controls for the heater and boier, I recorded his instructions .
It took a while to understand the autotrail tv set up though.
Chelstons let us stay overnight to familiarise ourselves with it.
Just as well because the led lights failed in the bathroom which they fixed before we left.
I think they would probably take longer on new recruits though.

Upvote 0
Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
When we picked up our last, and I mean last, caravan our handover guy had the strongest Cornish accent that I only understood half of what he was telling us. I switched off after the first half hour. Before I took the van back to storage I tested the water, heating, oven etc., Couldn't even get water to pump. How I wished I'd listened or asked him to repeat stuff. In the end I had to phone the dealer who talked me through everything. Still nothing worked. Took the van back and after a lot of dismantling it was found that the main wiring loom was at fault. It was replaced by the company in Bradford who manufacture them. Everything has been brilliant since but it shows that the idea of staying close overnight after pick-up and reading the manuals first can be a godsend. So we will do this when we pick up our MH at the end of next season or the start of season 2018.
Regards. Mike

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
WE picked ours up last week and the handover was brilliant. Not sure how long it took but we both felt confident when we got to the complimentary site. Then came the "which one was the gas heating switch and which the electric?" moment. Soon sorted that one though. Then the ceiling lights started to flicker and go dim. Both of them. We thought it might be a major circuit fault so rang the dealer and arranged to pop back the next morning. Both fluorescent bulbs had started to fail at the same time. All replaced and all is well. We recommend Freeborn Motorhomes in Southampton unreservedly

Reactions: CWH
Upvote 0

Shakester

Free Member
Dec 1, 2016
Aylesbury
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Picked up our MH two weeks ago, The handover wasn't great but the van was plugged in and heating was working, hot water from all taps, fridge on, all gas rings working. Shown the water and heating controls and control panel and all seemed fine. However on the drive home a draw fell out, panel under fridge also came off, and a small panel was flapping about at every turn. I could not stop and sort the issues as the dealer was located on a main motorway and i hadn't told anyone from work where i had gone so i had to get back before i dropped myself in it with the boss.

Anyway to cut a long story short ensure you check everything, i had a leaking water pump, no parking sensors, no grill pan in the oven, panels and doors not secured, broken freezer door lock. there is probably more but i wont go on. if your unsure ask, check every draw, door, panel, lock and ask where all the important stuff is located, water pump, boiler, batteries, fuses. My dealer is a two hour drive away and I can't get the van back to them. But I pushed them until they sent someone out to me.

I hope this helps someone,

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back