Haggling Is It A Waste Of Time! (1 Viewer)

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
We bought a 12 month old one last month from a dealer. There was no movement on the price, if we didnt buy it at their asking price, they were happy to wait.

Aug 6, 2018
Dorset
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
Since 2019
Haggle, but I fear having paid a holding deposit may have weakened your negotiating position.

Feb 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E695
Hi All

New to this forum but have been following for a while, we have paid a holding payment for a 2018 Burstner 690 which will be available this month to view, this will be our first motorhome if we buy it.

With all that is going on at the moment will we be wasting our time trying to haggle on the price, we would like to pay a couple of grand less than the asking price? this model is also hard to find secondhand at the moment so we cannot walk away and go and look at others.

We also have not got time to wait till things go the other way, we both have just turned 70 with a few health problem. We have hired motorhomes in the past so it is not a new venture.
Thanks
Try and leave it to the end of the month when the salesman will be trying to boost his commission.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Try and leave it to the end of the month when the salesman will be trying to boost his commission.

Unless they’ve already hit their targets, in which case there’s little to be gained.

Ian

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
Thanks all

If we can buy it for two grand less we would be happy.

The van has already got a spare wheel and extra leisure battery so will try for other accessories.
We were gaqunped on a private sale early on in the year, I wasted to much time haggling and I think the guy got sick of me.
Gas bottles are worth asking for?

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Always haggle I look at it like this, when we were in business if I saved say £20 by haggling, assuming my profit was say10% I would have to earn £200 to get £20 profit . Same as buying a Motorhome get say £200 off that will buy near enough a bike rack etc.

Apr 18, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD590
Exp
Long time caravanner - almost 2 years a motorhomer
I usually haggle. I’m not an expert, in fact I got thrown out of a shop in India (where haggling is de rigeur and an art form) for haggling too much. However, when we bought our nearly new Burstner from a dealership earlier this year, I quickly gave up. It was clear, in the current market conditions, sellers are in the driving seat and this one was not giving an inch. Don’t blame him, he’d have sold it to someone else the next day if I’d walked. So, haggling can be worthwhile but you have to know the strength of your position and now is not a great time. It will change of course.

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
Like others here I would normally haggle over everything but recently bought a new van and instead of haggling over the price I got top dollar on my trade in so it's swings & roundabouts, due the delivery delays etc they want your used van as much as you want their new van so its kind of win win, just don't take silly money for your old van, the dealer I dealt with couldn't wait to get his hands on my trade in van & sold it within a few days 😉

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Like others here I would normally haggle over everything but recently bought a new van and instead of haggling over the price I got top dollar on my trade in so it's swings & roundabouts, due the delivery delays etc they want your used van as much as you want their new van so its kind of win win, just don't take silly money for your old van, the dealer I dealt with couldn't wait to get his hands on my trade in van & sold it within a few days 😉
Same here, new van 20k more than I wanted to pay but trade in was 20k more than I was expecting.

May 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Legend
Hi All

New to this forum but have been following for a while, we have paid a holding payment for a 2018 Burstner 690 which will be available this month to view, this will be our first motorhome if we buy it.

With all that is going on at the moment will we be wasting our time trying to haggle on the price, we would like to pay a couple of grand less than the asking price? this model is also hard to find secondhand at the moment so we cannot walk away and go and look at others.

We also have not got time to wait till things go the other way, we both have just turned 70 with a few health problem. We have hired motorhomes in the past so it is not a new venture.
Thanks
I bought a brand new Ducato van conversion in September. I had ordered it 9 months previously and between ordering it and collecting it the base van had gone up £8,000 from the fiat factory.
I would do as others have said, ask for extras if you can't get money off. Dealers tend to be happy to give you their workshop time free of charge but not want to see physical cash being taken from them.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks all

If we can buy it for two grand less we would be happy.

The van has already got a spare wheel and extra leisure battery so will try for other accessories.
We were gaqunped on a private sale early on in the year, I wasted to much time haggling and I think the guy got sick of me.
A 25mtr hook-up cable is a handy extra.
Play the “Poor old folks” card, last chance to fulfill a dream, sob sob.🙄
👍
Mitch

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
Same here, new van 20k more than I wanted to pay but trade in was 20k more than I was expecting.
Same with me. Trade in price was very good, over expectations. So didn’t haggle on a new van. They guaranteed the price for next June so that was a bonus.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
There's never any harm haggling, the worst that happens is you don't get anywhere. Nothing lost, but often some gesture is made.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back