Haggling Is It A Waste Of Time! (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you've paid a deposit (or holding)
Surely the deal has been agreed?
Surely the time to haggle is before?
Yup my thoughts as well. Once the deposit has been paid even if there are no legal ties, you have stated your interest firmly at the asking price. I doubt any salesman worth his salt would cave. But always worth a try.

On big ticket items like vehicles I always haggle. But always be prepared to walk away. A good salesman will know if you are only bluffing.

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Never really haggled on price. If something is overpriced imo, then I will look elsewhere.

If its within my price range then I will pay the screen price but always get add-ons such as extended/upgraded warranty, service, replacement parts that look tired, free service etc etc.

OP
OP
F

flfair

Free Member
May 3, 2021
North East
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
I'm a newbie
Never really haggled on price. If something is overpriced imo, then I will look elsewhere.

If its within my price range then I will pay the screen price but always get add-ons such as extended/upgraded warranty, service, replacement parts that look tired, free service etc etc.
Forgot to include a full service, MOT and one year warranty, also 10% off accessories.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005

This is a good approach but I would still term it as haggling- although negotiation is a better word

Jun 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Apache Hi Line 634
I would always try and negotiate something, given the market that will be hard on prices. But a free service, additional warranty are worth trying.

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
This is a good approach but I would still term it as haggling- although negotiation is a better word
Yes, it's still haggling but not for price.
Bringing down the price effects the P&L of the business and turnover which can effect their ability to borrow etc and also the sales person may also be paid commission on sale price.This is not a concern for the buyer but an example of the reasons behind reluctance to drop price over offering extras.
Additional warranty may not amount to much for them but can be a lot to you.
Same as a service because the real cost to them is a lot less than it will benefit you as you will pay marked up labour, VAT etc..
Sometimes the service centre is a separate business to the sales so the cost is kicked down the road for another time.
As others have pointed out, of you've already put money down, the deal is done.
If they know its a unique unit that meets your needs they will know you're in a weaker position.
A lot of dealers are selling effectively as an agent so apart from taking up space, it's not much of a burden for them to have it sitting there as its not on their books.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Highlighting where the dealer is coming from is very interesting. Of course the buyer holds all the cards as they can decide not to purchase it , that there will be many other opportunities so best not to believe this is a really unique opportunity. From their perspective, the buyers, having ticked the I would like it box any negotiation before the handshake around additional benefits albeit service, additional accessories of course contribute to a their bottom line no matter how it is allocated from the dealers perspective. The cost of the base vehicle of a car can easily be 35% more when you add in the bits. On a new Motorhome easy to spend £20k plus on add on’s.
I wouldn’t do it but I assume a holding deposit is fully refundable were the vehicle not exactly to the description, even a scratch, a bit like putting an offer in on a house subject to survey. Anything else would be a con. What’s happening within the on-line car sales sector currently, buy it, delivered to your door in an enclosed truck, you then have 7 ish days to reject it on any grounds and you get all your money returned. Very innovative. So of course go with your heart, big dollops of common sense and don’t be afraid to look at the dealer in the eye and get something back that he has already added - his mark up is whatever he thinks he can get for it.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Yup my thoughts as well. Once the deposit has been paid even if there are no legal ties, you have stated your interest firmly at the asking price. I doubt any salesman worth his salt would cave. But always worth a try.

On big ticket items like vehicles I always haggle. But always be prepared to walk away. A good salesman will know if you are only bluffing.
The OP did qualify that he Didn't pay a deposit, it was a refundable holding payment, I have just done the same buying a new car, the dealership didn't have the vehicle there, I paid a refundable holding fee, they got the car in, I went to check it over then we haggled on price.
I was going to pay cash but they offered me a better deal taking finance which I will pay off in full after 3 months and get 3 yrs free servicing, they will get a commission on the loan.
Everyone is happy.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I did smile at the comment on waiving cash!
That is so yesterday 😂
The BOE is on that case with money laundering regulations, plus the announcement last week that a digital wallet is being investigated!
Investigated my foot, nothing like a leak to promote disinterest and sneak it through, on the back of some pretext. Covid perhaps and notes carrying germs! Never surely.
Bank teller apologies for giving you old bank notes they could carry germs! Customer that's quite OK they could not live on my salary. From 1957 if my memory serves me well!

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
Been in the motor trade all my life so I know all about “ haggling “ Retired now so the shoe is on the other foot, I tried to buy a sixteen plate Land Rover Evoque this week, the dealer would not move on the advertised price at all, it was the colour and spec that I wanted, ok fair enough it was advertised for not unreasonable price. I left him to sweat on it for the night and rang again the morning thinking the price was’nt out of the way I’ll have to pay what he wants.

Sorry my friend, I sold it an hour after you looked at it. That will teach me !

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If you have never owned a motorhome,,hire one,,Its so difficult to buy before you try.17 years ago we started with a 7.5 mtr van fixed bed.6 vans later we have a 5.2 mtr van conversion and absolutely love it.Had it 6 years and would not change it for anything, BUSBY.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you want a new one unless you can find one that is in stock already you're gonna have a very, very long wait. As a first time buyer my advice would be to either hire to ensure you firstly like the lifestyle and also get the layout you want, ruling out what you don't want, or even better get a good second hand one so you are likely to get a lot of extra kit already included which you won't have to pay on top for and also more than likely get a much better deal so if you find it's not what you want in the future you shouldn't loose a massive amount on it as you would with a new one.

Have a look in the classified ads on the forum as there are some nice MHs in there which might be right up your street. Also if you haven't already done so look in the resources section for the Buyer's Guide (free to subscribing members) which will explain a lot of the stuff to you.

Importantly, don't be afraid to ask questions, we don't bite ... well only if we're hungry! :giggle:

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Yes, a couple of grand is reasonable. But haggle, haggle haggle. No matter their protestation about how its a sellers market etc. Lots of people don't want to offend, but remember the salesperson will think you are a complete fool if you dont at least try.
And when they say NO! say you'll take it today if they throw in (list of extras). Its very much a sellers market and they have nothing to gain by reducing the price. They have much to gain by moving stock quicker.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've never paid full asking price on any vehicle I've bought ...which is now well over 700 . That's not a typo

But I've sold most for the full price I asked.

Just like there will always be another buyer there will always be another vehicle just as good.

In the end it comes down to patience and not getting desperate.

I'm happy to walk away if no negotiation when buying . And I'm happy enough to wait for a buyer to pay what I want when selling. But then I always add a bit more on asking price to cover any negotiation.

I expect anyone selling something to have added a bit for flexibility. ..if they haven't then that's their problem .

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
I've never paid full asking price on any vehicle I've bought ...which is now well over 700 . That's not a typo

But I've sold most for the full price I asked.

Just like there will always be another buyer there will always be another vehicle just as good.

In the end it comes down to patience and not getting desperate.

I'm happy to walk away if no negotiation when buying . And I'm happy enough to wait for a buyer to pay what I want when selling. But then I always add a bit more on asking price to cover any negotiation.

I expect anyone selling something to have added a bit for flexibility. ..if they haven't then that's their problem .
Must be a Celtic thing Tam lol us Paddy's never ever pay what's on the window price, we just see that as a guide to open negotiations 🤣
Must be how I've accumulated so much stuff lol

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Try buying a new one at the moment you won't get a penny off. The van we have ordered is the first one I have bought without a good discount. Current Hymer I got 20% discount on a factory order. Nothing on the new one but did get a price guarantee which in the current climate is probably better than a discount and got a very good trade in price.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Try buying a new one at the moment you won't get a penny off. The van we have ordered is the first one I have bought without a good discount. Current Hymer I got 20% discount on a factory order. Nothing on the new one but did get a price guarantee which in the current climate is probably better than a discount and got a very good trade in price.
Lenny HB are they guaranteeing the trade in till August next year or will it be the trade in price then?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
But I've said it before I would never buy a new vehicle even if I had the money .

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020

Have you decided on what layout, size etc?

We looked at every dealers anywhere near us. Attended the NEC and several smaller shows. We knew our must have’s ie…..fixed bed, max 6m long, solar, Gaslow system etc, then would like’s, then can live without.👍

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022

We crept in just before things went totally crazy and managed a modest discount on a dealer pre-ordered Adria, that we could up-spec, in October 21. Also managed to get the sale price protected, which was just as well given the near 20% increase to date. IIRC they dropped the fixed prices around about March/April this year - roughly the same time their online configurator disappeared - but now that production appears to be stabilising (a bit!) maybe they’ll reintroduce it?

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
We bought ours last November and they wouldn’t budge on price one red cent but to be fair it had been reduced previously and they let me have all the extras I wanted at half price so I was happy. (However I was paying main dealer prices so I could have no doubt got them cheaper elsewhere but the hassle factor goes up exponentially and I’m a lazy git).
We had exactly the same experience but van had been reduced to sell so I was very happy with the deal we got

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The dealer takes in a van.
They go round it knocking off what they can for drinks blemishes, spills on carpets, faults etc.
They put it on the forecourt without doing the repairs.
You come along and try to knock them down/point out the faults etc.
What you don't find, point out, ask for repair prior to sale etc. is extra profit.
That is where the haggling starts.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Anything else would be a con. What’s happening within the on-line car sales sector currently, buy it, delivered to your door in an enclosed truck, y
My mate delivers for mercedes on line sales & rentals, & has done for the last 10 years -They deliver by road, driven, to all points of the UK. It has always amazed me that people are prepared to accept a new car with 00's of miles on it when delivered?

Dec 31, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
2022 Chausson 660
Exp
Previously Elddis Accordo 125
There are no dependable rules!
About one year ago, demand very high, when I was buying second hand unit, as the dealer was preparing the paperwork I said, "It's such a pity that it doesn't have a solar panel". He replied that he had several out the back and would fit one free of charge.

Reactions: Jim
Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
1st mistake, paying money to hold something you have not yet seen.
From what you say it looks like you want it at any cost, the dealer will pick up on this and that will make haggling difficult for you.
Always, always have the ready cash, buy and sell when you dont need to, be blunt and to the point.
Dont loose it for a £1 (if it's worth it) and dont buy out of pear pressure.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back