Haggling Is It A Waste Of Time! (1 Viewer)

flfair

Free Member
May 3, 2021
North East
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi All

New to this forum but have been following for a while, we have paid a holding payment for a 2018 Burstner 690 which will be available this month to view, this will be our first motorhome if we buy it.

With all that is going on at the moment will we be wasting our time trying to haggle on the price, we would like to pay a couple of grand less than the asking price? this model is also hard to find secondhand at the moment so we cannot walk away and go and look at others.

We also have not got time to wait till things go the other way, we both have just turned 70 with a few health problem. We have hired motorhomes in the past so it is not a new venture.
Thanks

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
I always haggle but they way things are at the moment with vans another person will be along to view the van if you don’t want it. Try asking for for some extras as it’s your first van. It’s amazing what you will need if your new to motorhome fun. Good luck and enjoy your van if you take it.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes, a couple of grand is reasonable. But haggle, haggle haggle. No matter their protestation about how its a sellers market etc. Lots of people don't want to offend, but remember the salesperson will think you are a complete fool if you dont at least try.

Apr 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Apache
In the throws of buying a van at the moment circa £40K. Very limited choice with dealers virtually running out of vans to sell. With popular models don't think there's any haggling to be done, the market is so buoyant. I guess private is always more likely because sellers may not want the hassle associated with multiple viewers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Hi All

New to this forum but have been following for a while, we have paid a holding payment for a 2018 Burstner 690 which will be available this month to view, this will be our first motorhome if we buy it.

With all that is going on at the moment will we be wasting our time trying to haggle on the price, we would like to pay a couple of grand less than the asking price? this model is also hard to find secondhand at the moment so we cannot walk away and go and look at others.

We also have not got time to wait till things go the other way, we both have just turned 70 with a few health problem. We have hired motorhomes in the past so it is not a new venture.
Thanks

Dealer / seller with a good reputation? Why the delay in being able to view? (y)

OP
OP
F

flfair

Free Member
May 3, 2021
North East
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks all

If we can buy it for two grand less we would be happy.

The van has already got a spare wheel and extra leisure battery so will try for other accessories.
We were gaqunped on a private sale early on in the year, I wasted to much time haggling and I think the guy got sick of me.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
You'll get gazumped again. If it's the lay out and payload that ticks all your boxes it would be better sitting on your driveway increasing in value than the dealers showroom increasing his margins, IMO.
Mike

OP
OP
F

flfair

Free Member
May 3, 2021
North East
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
I'm a newbie
But paying a deposit infers that you’ve agreed to buy at the advertised price subject to inspection

I think you’d struggle to negotiate a lower price now
We have not paid a deposit, we have paid holding fee subject to viewing the van which the dealer has not got in stock yet.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hi All

Thanks
Post below where a Funster is going to view the same model as you are selling.BUSBY.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yes, a couple of grand is reasonable. But haggle, haggle haggle. No matter their protestation about how its a sellers market etc. Lots of people don't want to offend, but remember the salesperson will think you are a complete fool if you dont at least try.
You aint been out and about just lately Jim
The current market is not a buyers market, 30 + years buying and selling has taught me to haggle with a vengence
just before Christmas 2020 best i could get was £250 off a 50K van, I of course walked away, more to the point he didn't stop me nor showed any attempt to do so.

Usually confused.

Free Member
Oct 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Malibu 640
Exp
Clueless newbie.
We bought ours last November and they wouldn’t budge on price one red cent but to be fair it had been reduced previously and they let me have all the extras I wanted at half price so I was happy. (However I was paying main dealer prices so I could have no doubt got them cheaper elsewhere but the hassle factor goes up exponentially and I’m a lazy git).

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Just my recent experience, I was looking at Hymer S820's there were three suitable ones around at the time, at similar prices, within a thousand pounds of each other, the one which happened to be nearest me was up at £ 39,995 and I put a refundable holding deposit on it after viewing a video that they did for me to hold it until we were able to view and test drive it, in the mean time one of the others has been sold and the other has gone up in price by £2000. I did try and haggle but they wouldn't budge on price, they have agreed to fit an external gas bbq point for free and fit gaslow at cost, they have also agreed to fix some small issues that we found on inspection within the price and they said to me "we have held our prices even though many dealers have raised there's with the increasing demand" so at the moment I think folks will find it difficult to get much off if any at all alas.

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
No money off are van at all when we bought. They knew was a shortage and it would sell. We ended up with £500 quid extras thrown in that was all and lucky at that too. Every van is sold at dealers we bought from and I’m sure nobody will get the £500 we got

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I just bought a motorhome this week. I got them to fit a Thule awning and 12 months tax included in the screen price.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Been haggling over a new van for about 10 days now, the dealer agreed a price that I was willing to buy on Thursday but we’re now £1500 below that and I’ve now asked for one or two extras.

Bought the existing van in January 2020 and accepted £6k more than I paid from a private buyer, who will get it with a new mot, full service and benefit from the stuff I’ve fixed.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
The dealer may well have added in some wriggle room expecting a haggle. Plus, particularly in this market, why not negotiate their throwing in some extras - gas fill system, canopy, paint treatment, aircon. Often a softer approach than a straight price off position.

Deleted User
When we purchased our new van in September we paid nearly 80k, no discount.
If we hadn't purchased that morning it would have been sold by the afternoon.
The only giveaway was two gas bottles🙁.
Do i regret it, not for one minute!

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
There’s no right or wrong here, simply put people/dealers circumstances vary wildly, I’d always try to get a deal but when I bought my sports car it was a very short conversation “the price is on the screen, if you agree now we’ll fill it with fuel, if not, not. It won’t sit here for more than a few days” Paid asking price.

SWMBO sports car was completely different, negotiated £8,500 discount.

First MH paid asking price but got 2 gas bottles and a replacement DAB radio with sat nav.

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Always worth asking? Good luck whatever you decide (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back