Haggling Is It A Waste Of Time! (1 Viewer)

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Did our deal in January 2020…….same van with all the extras now………a lot more. :eek:

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I do wonder how many “holding fees” the dealer takes....🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Apologies if already said, as I have not got time to read all the posts.

I think you have already closed the door on haggling by leaving a deposit at the asking price, unless you made it clear, hopefully in writing, that it was subject to negotiations.

Just my opinion about negotiations.

Geoff

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I do wonder how many “holding fees” the dealer takes....🤔

And then the dealers do not honour them.

I saw an Arto at Hymer UK, Preston, part of the old Brownhills I stress. Gave them a cheque for deposit on Friday subject to inspection next week. Phoned on Monday morning for an appointment -"Sorry Sold"

They won that battle, but I won the war - bought identical privately at £6 less.

I will never go near a dealer unless I absolutely have to, although from reputation European dealers appear to be better than UK. Maybe their market is not as gullible. Is that racist Jim?

Geoff

OP
OP
F

flfair

Free Member
May 3, 2021
North East
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
I'm a newbie

I think you have already closed the door on haggling by leaving a deposit at the asking price, unless you made it clear, hopefully in writing, that it was subject to negotiations.

Geoff
Geoff
read all the posts.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021

Geoff

The problem has been that there is so much demand at the moment that not putting a holding deposit on a van risked losing it or worse getting into a bidding war if it's one you've decided you really, really want and someone else wants it as well. For me I decided that going from the video that it was probably the right one so even if I had to pay the full asking price I was happy at what they were asking for it, and also the deposit was refundable if I didn't like it when I got to see it. At the moment I'm happy enough, we'll see when I get to collect it if they've done everything they said they would, but from comments from people who have bought from them before they seem to have a good reputation so I'm hoping for a good experience. Sometimes (and it's the same with houses) you have to accept that it's either a sellers or buyers market and at the moment it's a sellers.

Aug 17, 2017
Funster No
MH
PVC - AT Tribute T-670
Exp
Hi All

New to this forum but have been following for a while, we have paid a holding payment for a 2018 Burstner 690 which will be available this month to view, this will be our first motorhome if we buy it.

With all that is going on at the moment will we be wasting our time trying to haggle on the price, we would like to pay a couple of grand less than the asking price? this model is also hard to find secondhand at the moment so we cannot walk away and go and look at others.

We also have not got time to wait till things go the other way, we both have just turned 70 with a few health problem. We have hired motorhomes in the past so it is not a new venture.
Thanks
Surely worth a try? Nothing to lose except a few minutes. They won’t budge if you’ve nowhere else to buy in your timescale.
Hi All

New to this forum but have been following for a while, we have paid a holding payment for a 2018 Burstner 690 which will be available this month to view, this will be our first motorhome if we buy it.

With all that is going on at the moment will we be wasting our time trying to haggle on the price, we would like to pay a couple of grand less than the asking price? this model is also hard to find secondhand at the moment so we cannot walk away and go and look at others.

We also have not got time to wait till things go the other way, we both have just turned 70 with a few health problem. We have hired motorhomes in the past so it is not a new venture.
Thanks
Can’t hurt to ask but you’ve got to be either a great actor or truly be prepared to walk. You’ve more chance of getting some extras thrown in than them budging on price seeing as you’ve already agreed the price. Given your particular circumstances, if you’ve got the money and they refuse to budge, put it out of your mind, don’t feel bad and go and enjoy.

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
Insist on full service history and a damp check with certificate. Most everything else is sortable.

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
Thanks all

If we can buy it for two grand less we would be happy.

The van has already got a spare wheel and extra leisure battery so will try for other accessories.
We were gaqunped on a private sale early on in the year, I wasted to much time haggling and I think the guy got sick of me.
Thats the risk you take when haggling. The secret is knowing when to fold. If you've got " must get 2 grand off" fixed in your mind in todays market I dont think it will work

Nov 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs i7150 esprit
Exp
Since 2018
The main point of haggling is the threat of asking away if you do not get what you want. The threat is just not credible at the moment so your ability to haggle is extremely limited unless you are prepared to walk away. They may give you extras at cost price as it costs them little to save face but that’s it.

My neighbour was after a Hymer MLT 570 made an offer of £3000k off of a fully loaded cost of £94k and was turned down. Asking price only....and then you are in a que.

Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
I bought mine last July, 2017 plate, 10 minutes in the van, haggled and got £1000 knocked off, said I'd put a deposit down immediately if they'd fit Gaslow FOC which they did 😊

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Last July was a different century regarding buying/selling to be fair in EVERY industry

Most people ,who haven't tried buying a biggish purchase since Feb would be shocked how far the pendulum has swung in the sellers favour
( good thing about pendulums.....they always swing back)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You should always negotiate a little harder than is comfortable. Even if you have told him twenty times that paying 50k is absolutley impossible, you can still save the deal. People think they are in danger of losing the deal, by hanging in there for a while, you are not. Don't forget, no matter how hard you dig in, you can always roll back your position.

"Ok I have had a word with my wife and shes's agreed that we can go to 50"

"I spoke to my Mum last night and she is going to loan me some so I can pay the 50"

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
I was pleased to get some money off the screen price of our Kingham. It’s a new van, in stock at the dealer.

I’d expected to have to pay list price given demand and supply issues but managed to get £1500 off the screen price.

Then once the point of no more cash off was reached, I started on extras (things we’d want but would cost us more than the dealer would have paid) . I’ve always found this a good area for negotiating as to me (say) £1,000 of extras I’d be buying anyway might only cost the dealer £600 so my perceived outcome is much higher than the downside to the dealer. It’s all about Win Win at the end of the day.

In the end we got an Avtex 19inch TV and bracket, another TV bracket, ramps, an upgrade in weight chucked in too. (3850 I think, but maybe 4100 if that can be done as a paper only exercise. Standard is 3500)

Overall in the current market I was very pleased, no doubt someone else will have been able to achieve more but at the end of the day I was happy and that is what matters. As was the dealer, who has made a profit which is what he needs to do in order to survive.

Its definitely worth haggling even in the current market. They can only say no, and might even say yes!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Everyone knows I don't pay for anything without haggling, but I don't work anywhere near these figures.
In this case if the van is what you want and you are looking at paying 50 grand plus, two grand is neither here or there if you risk losing it.

OP
OP
F

flfair

Free Member
May 3, 2021
North East
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
I'm a newbie
Everyone knows I don't pay for anything without haggling, but I don't work anywhere near these figures.
In this case if the van is what you want and you are looking at paying 50 grand plus, two grand is neither here or there if you risk losing it.
Yes we agree, when we view the van and decide to buy it we will not risk losing it, this model van is hard to find at the moment.
We got gazumped on a Hymer 588 which is another model we would be interested in but they’re also hard to find secondhand.
We are expecting the dealer not to move on his list price, but I will be starting at five grand below it.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes we agree, when we view the van and decide to buy it we will not risk losing it, this model van is hard to find at the moment.
We got gazumped on a Hymer 588 which is another model we would be interested in but they’re also hard to find secondhand.
We are expecting the dealer not to move on his list price, but I will be starting at five grand below it.
Yeah, no harm in trying (y) but do the deal there and then if it's what you really want, leaving it a day or two maybe means someone else gets it.:(

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Always remember:-
The model you are looking at today....and going to let them know tomorrow..
Could be the one that someone looked at yesterday....and is letting them know today😄

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
I haggled a grand of the price (about 5%) off mine 5 years ago by offering full payment with building society Cheques.

OP
OP
F

flfair

Free Member
May 3, 2021
North East
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
I'm a newbie
I haggled a grand of the price (about 5%) off mine 5 years ago by offering full payment with building society Cheques.
We think things now are a lot different to what they were 5 years ago.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
With the market as it is, you may need to beg to be allowed buy at the full asking price!

Gaza1515

Free Member
Feb 23, 2020
Accrington
Funster No
MH
Geist 710
Exp
Since 2015
Hi All

Thanks
Haggle on price or extras

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Bought a van in the last month. (y)
Are you gonna tell us what you bought Jim ... I haven't noticed you telling us and your info still says you've got the RV as your van.

Reactions: Jim
OP
OP
F

flfair

Free Member
May 3, 2021
North East
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just a Update

We went to view the motorhome at the weekend and made a purchase, they was no movement on the price.

The dealer said they have a waiting list for this model, the van is rated at 3850kgs so they are going to down rate it to 3500kgs for us, also they are fitting a wifi system in for half price plus free hookup cable, the van will not be ready till July.

We have noticed since we paid the holding fee that prices for Moho have gone up, so we think we have saved a bit of cash.
We found another van the other week same model but on a 2017 plate for the same price, it was sold three days after it was a advertised.

The next think I will be asking is which insurance company to go for.

Thanks for your help.

Tricuspid

Free Member
May 13, 2021
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630
Exp
Ex-caravanner, newbie to MH
When I was looking for our van a few weeks ago I was shocked by the variation in price ... there aren't many around and some dealers were asking up to £5,000 above the list price. I also noticed widespread practice of the price on the internet not matching the price on the windscreen, which is a bit cheeky really and not fair to someone who may not be internet-savvy. I phoned round a few dealers, but not any of the ones advertising silly prices.

To be honest (and it goes against my principles) I didn't even try to haggle on the van price, but I added a load of extras which were generously priced and overall I'm more than happy with the deal I got.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Just a Update

We went to view the motorhome at the weekend and made a purchase, they was no movement on the price.

The dealer said they have a waiting list for this model, the van is rated at 3850kgs so they are going to down rate it to 3500kgs for us, also they are fitting a wifi system in for half price plus free hookup cable, the van will not be ready till July.

We have noticed since we paid the holding fee that prices for Moho have gone up, so we think we have saved a bit of cash.
We found another van the other week same model but on a 2017 plate for the same price, it was sold three days after it was a advertised.

The next think I will be asking is which insurance company to go for.

Thanks for your help.
After they take off 350kg make sure you have enough payload for your needs…. It was up-rated for a reason…🤔

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back