Haggling for a discount on a new MH (1 Viewer)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Looking at a new Burstner. It is already in stock but unregistered. Is it normal to try and negotiate a discount? - and if so what sort of amount on a £60K MH. I get the feeling this is not the best time to to being buying so not sure if getting the price down is going to be doable.

Thoughts?

JohnJan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
England
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
No harm in asking if a refusal won't offend you.
Try £55k and see the reaction. The worst that can happen is a no, full price or F O!
Good luck and let us know how you get on

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
When you are getting near to closing the negotiations on price and accessories included, chuck in the pot that the first two or three years habitation services included, would seal the deal. ;):giggle:

Good luck! (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
As an ex-car salesman, I would recommend that you make it clear from the start of the visit that you WILL be buying a motorhome. The salesman must be convinced that you are genuinely in the market NOW. That will alert the senses of any self-respecting salesperson.

Get a price in your head of where you will do the deal and keep it in mind. Ask about a discount without mentioning a figure and then keep quiet. They will ask you for the figure that you have in mind. They need to give the first price.

If there is a discount, take in the response and digest for a few seconds without any giveaways of your thoughts.
If it is near where you want it to be, tell them that they are close..ish and that if they move further you WILL sign today. At this point they will ask you again where you need it to be. Give them your figure minus a grand or two or a grand below their discount if their figure was at or below your own figure. (Surprised if this happens.)

Barter sensibly and clearly.
Remind them again that you are in the market now and that you WILL buy from them today IF the deal is right.
(If the deal is moving away from the salesperson for the sake of a few hundred, the chances are that as you make noises to leave they will fine-tune it enough to get you to sign.)

Of course, this is the theory when the market is tilted towards the buyer. In view of the spate of new motorhomes being bought recently the seller will be much harder to crack.
The worst that either of you can say is no.

Ultimately it depends on how much you want that particular motorhome. (I assume that you will have looked around at similar models and competitors’ offerings.)

Good luck.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
No harm in asking if a refusal won't offend you.
Try £55k and see the reaction. The worst that can happen is a no, full price or F O!
Good luck and let us know how you get on
This is an interesting one, when enquiring about a MoHo at Becks about 3 years ago on a demo stock van there seemed to be some show boating going on between the sales guys and no way would they shift from the ticket price and no discount to any accessories would be applied. A few months later the ticket price was reduced to move the MoHo on, stupid sales guys really. Everyone needs to feel they have done a ‘deal’ both seller and buyer. Lowdhams and a couple of others including Tyne Valley we were considering were reasonable and flexible in pricing.

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
We were looking at our 4th motorhome and really wanted it, but it was for sale at £64 we offered £60 and was refused later that day a different salesman who we had dealt with before rang to say hed seen us and what were we looking at, we told him our offer had been refused, he asked us if the offer was still on we said yes, and he said he wouldnt lose that sale ,so please come back and the van is yours …………we were very happy

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We were looking at our 4th motorhome and really wanted it, but it was for sale at £64 we offered £60 and was refused later that day a different salesman who we had dealt with before rang to say hed seen us and what were we looking at, we told him our offer had been refused, he asked us if the offer was still on we said yes, and he said he wouldnt lose that sale ,so please come back and the van is yours …………we were very happy
I guess this is what should happen in that both buyer and seller do not loose out everyone has to feel a deal has been done. On one vehicle purchase and during negotiation I asked if there was any merging left to give away, the sales guy said yes about £50 I asked if it would be impolite if that could also be applied and he discounted by a further £50, which when considering we had already negotiated a price reduction of quite a few Thousand was insignificant but it was all good natured and the deal was sealed.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Thanks for your thoughts. Part of the issue is that the particular model we want is only available in 2 dealers. Also, being an odd time to buy and wanting to get on with it so we can holiday ASAP (retired this summer and just sitting at home!) we don't really want to hang about. We can afford it at sticker price but want to get what we can off obviously!

Upvote 1
Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Elsewhere someone is disappointed that Burstner have delayed delivery of their new van.

It may be prudent to go and bag that available model if it’s the one you want and you can afford it. My Brother nearly lost a £150K Carthargo after walking away when the dealer wouldn’t offer a discount. He fully expected a phone call to get the deal done, but it never came.
The reality is if a model is desirable and in short supply, why would the dealer offer a discount, nevertheless you have to try.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
OK - got refundable deposits on 2 Burstners now!!:LOL: the cheaper one of the 2 reduced the price by £1100 without even asking so now that one is £2K cheaper than the other. The other is slightly better specced with under floor heating and heated drivers and passenger seats. Probably not worth 2K but it would be nice to get him down to that price.

Upvote 1
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Take your time. Walk away and wait for them to ring you ----- They will;)
They may not though. If you are looking at a van that is in stock and you want it. Don't haggle too hard. You'll miss it

I would haggle if I was ordering for next year though still

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
They may not though. If you are looking at a van that is in stock and you want it. Don't haggle too hard. You'll miss it

I would haggle if I was ordering for next year though still

Difficult to judge. Are there lots of people out there like me, ready to buy in time for the big escape on April 12th or May 17th?

I have noticed there are are a lot of vehicles reserved on dealers websites so maybe all the potential buyers are already half committed and there maybe a shortage of buyers for whats left. - who knows:unsure:

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
I’m a great believer in you don’t get if you don’t ask and the worst anyone can say is no in which case your no worse off than you were before started. That said I suspect with the effect covid has had in pushing up demand for mohos & holidaying at home you’ll be given short shrift but nothing g to be lost in trying 😀

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I’m a great believer in you don’t get if you don’t ask and the worst anyone can say is no in which case your no worse off than you were before started. That said I suspect with the effect covid has had in pushing up demand for mohos & holidaying at home you’ll be given short shrift but nothing g to be lost in trying 😀
That's absolutely true.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I drove past Brownhills today and they have a big banner outside stating they have 250 motorhomes for sale .....?

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I am just honest, when I got ours I asked what was the lowest price from the screen price they would go. No haggling, no ringing the Manager, no coatings, or GAP insurance. I had the money and I wanted it, but wasn’t prepared to pay what it was advertised at. Knocked a couple of grand off and the deal was done.

Friend who got his from the same dealer walked out three times and was called back. Got a great deal but I can’t be bothered with that hassle, we all have margins to meet and as long as everyone is happy, that’s what matters.

Years ago I got a nearly new second hand car and with a heavily pregnant wife went to pick it up, they pulled every trick to try and get us to buy the GAP insurance and other rubbish! I must speak to my Manager, other salesman tried to separate us and convince us, back to Manager, all the text book sales rubbish! We were there nearly an hour and it was exhausting, I would simply walk out now and not even bother arguing.

Give them what you want to pay, walk away if you aren’t happy, no tactics, no hassle, works for me.

Upvote 0
Jun 13, 2020
Bradford
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T68 XV.
Exp
And dont say you are a cash buyer until a price is agreed. Cash doesn’t get them commission from the finance company. The game works two ways.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
In my experience discount is dealer specific rather than brand specific
I was quoted 0% discount from one dealer, but agreed a 20% discount on the same make and model from another dealer

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
OK - got refundable deposits on 2 Burstners now!!:LOL: the cheaper one of the 2 reduced the price by £1100 without even asking so now that one is £2K cheaper than the other. The other is slightly better specced with under floor heating and heated drivers and passenger seats. Probably not worth 2K but it would be nice to get him down to that price.

If by that you mean it has Alde wet heating then that’s the one to get; worth paying more for in my book.

Ian

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2018
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
This post relating to doing a deal reminded me of an attempt we made to buy a couple of years ago! As we know we all like to at least feel we have made a reasonable deal. On that basis I always assume whether it’s a car or Motorhome the price in the window is what the seller would LIKE to achieve. I stress at this point I am talking about second hand not new. A dealer very close to me who I won’t name ( but is near a river and a bridge) was advertising a suitable Mo Ho that we wanted for £35,995. We let him know we were cash buyers nowt to trade in etc. First warning sign was when we mentioned a lot of the decals were damaged he said it was because the previous owner whom he had taken it from in px really looked after it and washed I regularly. Told me I could get some made for about £50 from some mush in nearby Peterborough! At my expense. As we stood next to this family run businesses office alongside the owners red Lamborghini I asked what price he would accept for the aforesaid Motorhome. Cash . Take away today etc. Well(S) (for those of you who know whom I’m on about forgive the pun!) anyone would have thought I’d asked him to pluck the eye from his head ! We got a ten minute impassioned lecture on how he had to make at least £4K on each sale to break even . Mechanics wages, overheads etc. I actually was made to feel guilty for even asking! Bearing in mind he had just taken it in as a px he obviously made a shilling or two on that deal already and by comparison this one was around two to three grand dearer than others we had looked at. Same age same model similar mileages! I could not believe he would not take a penny less! He then added that he would charge us £170 on top for a cam belt! I kid you not ! It’s a great pity really as we did not do a deal as non to be done ...we haven’t that many dealers close by and it would have been so much more convenient to be able to buy from their and use for services etc. Sadly not to be .. all for being totally inflexible. Anyway whatever happens I hope I at least get to feel I have made a reasonable deal when we buy our next single bedded Motorhome!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Just to feed back on this. Spoken/visited 2 dealers and both were very open to discounts on Burstners. One actually dropped the price by £1200 without request and by email - just because I mentioned I was looking at another elsewhere. Then the other lowered his price his price and added in a couple of bits including a Gemini Alarm system (I had asked about alarms). So certainly deals to be had. I will always wonder whether there was dealing to be done though!!!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back