LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
As a solo traveller I use very little water, approx 5 ltrs a day (don't showeR in the van). If I am at a rally and the ground is dry I leave my waste tap open, this will mean minimal water onto the ground as it isn't a big bore pipe. Obviously if the ground isn't suitable then I don't. I admit to this method at Malvern from Saturday on. Let's be honest a lot of others did the same. I noticed several with hoses connected to their waste outlet discreetly slung under their MH's.

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
We came back to motorhoming after some eleven years narrowboating, having travelled on the majority of canals in England and Wales and many rivers. There is something in excess of 30,000 boats on the inland waterways and I am not aware of any that have a "grey water" tank. So called grey water goes straight into the cut or river and doesn't cause any problems to anyone. Having said that, I have never emptied our van's grey water onto the pitch that we are on, but I doubt it would be a problem IF the waste tap was left open. Dumping 80 or 100 litres in one go could be classed as anti-social.

Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Believe it is very good for the veg plot helps to reduce the numbers of pests that otherwise munch their way through the veggies also good re-use of a precious resource especially in countries such as France where water restrictions are frequent. I agree that confined dropping of greys on a "pitch" lacks consideration for those who follow but doubt any health risks as "creepy crawlies" in the soil will soon make use of the small amount of vegetable waste and some washing up liquids smell rather nice

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Surely - as with dropping litter of any description (ref Broken Link Removed) - it doesn't matter one jot what other people do. There are lots of people who throw litter out of cars or drop litter in the street but that is no excuse for everyone to do the same.

It takes only a moment to ask the site owner/steward what the approved method for the place is so why not do so and abide by the answer?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It takes only a moment to ask the site owner/steward what the approved method for the place is so why not do so and abide by the answer?

Exactly. And if the site owner's preferred place is straight onto your pitch because he thinks it's good for the grass or just doesn't care who are any of us to argue? The only exception to this that I can think of is the cretin who told me to dump it on the road.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Sorry , battery being low I have no time to go through the whole thread but here: You never had a shower outside when a kid (even adult!)? You never saw campsites with outside showers ,built like in the old time? You know with a bucket over your head or a little chain opening some rain container? Soap water.... that's all! I never put my crumbs or anything else in thesink/ hoses ..... I throw them through my window , for the birds , ants and all the mini beasts living in the soil ...and?????
Here...south of France , to get a soppy place gosh you need to be flooded!!!! If you empty your grey water in my garden (and I am a childminder!!!) the only thing it can do is make some good to the grass. It'll be dry within a few minutes ..... I do it more than JJ ... and he laughs each time!!! I don't understand all this fuss , but hey each to his own after all!
Better post now , computer gets mad... no power left!!

Frankie;):cool:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Good point Frankie.

I'd forgotten about external shower points and our van has one! When you use those whether it's for washing the dog or for rinsing the BBQ you're creating grey water which goes directly onto the ground without visiting the holding tank at all.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
So when pulling in to it, you drive over the drain and its slap bang in the middle of under your motorhome.
Plus it was a drain metal cover which weighed a tonne leaving a big hole.
I've never seen a motorhome with its drain valve positioned centrally underneath the chassis? - how would you get to it?

I think that might have been a manhole cover giving access to those of us who have black tanks rather than cassettes to empty...

JJ :cool:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think that might have been a manhole cover giving access to those of us who have black tanks rather than cassettes to empty...

JJ :cool:

Yes like in France.

I recall a few years ago stopping at a service station in France somewhere and wandering over to a place that had a motorhome service point sign.

I was intrigued and recall seeing a metal grill and as I got closer I saw lots of toilet paper on this grill.

Then it dawned on me and I started retching:D

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
I've been on sites where the owner/warden has told me to dump it onto the grass. Would you really argue with them and refuse to do it because you don't approve of it? What would you do instead?

The only time I've refused to empty it where they told me to was at a very popular, very expensive (IMHO) site in Wales who don't have any proper provision. I went into the office to ask what I was meant to do with it and was told "oh, just wait until you've driven out of the site and then just open your tap and dump it on the road as you drive away" I had to ask her if she was being serious. Apparently she was and that's what they tell everyone to do :doh:
If only site owners in this country would get their acts together and provide the type of drive-over grid/drain as found on aires on the Continent then all motorhome grey water could be disposed of properly and all this controversy would be a thing of the past. Why don't they do it and provide proper facilities for us motorhomers. We are expected to pay the same as other users whilst not being properly catered for.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If only site owners in this country would get their acts together and provide the type of drive-over grid/drain as found on aires on the Continent then all motorhome grey water could be disposed of properly and all this controversy would be a thing of the past. Why don't they do it and provide proper facilities for us motorhomers. We are expected to pay the same as other users whilst not being properly catered for.

Absolutely, using an RV , the sites in europe with drive over dump for black and grey are very handy.
Some CClub sites now have a drive over manhole for black and grey.

DJK

Free Member
Jul 29, 2015
Bury Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E645
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I run a pipe from our MH stuff the end with grass like a filter and put the end in the hedgerow. When we are moving on shake the grass out peas and all into a plastic bag and into the bin

anniej

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Herne, Herne Bay, Kent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Exec
Exp
20 years
Have just changed my motorhome for a Tregano Tribute which has a grey waste discharge in the middle of the underside of the habitation. The discharge hole is about 3inch diameter, too low to get a bucket under and I would have to crawl under the vehicle to put a washing up bowl under. Perhaps someone could give me a solution.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Have just changed my motorhome for a Tregano Tribute which has a grey waste discharge in the middle of the underside of the habitation. The discharge hole is about 3inch diameter, too low to get a bucket under and I would have to crawl under the vehicle to put a washing up bowl under. Perhaps someone could give me a solution.
Could you fit an Ultradrain kit?

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Extend the pipe ?

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years

Our Tribute has a waste pipe with a tap on the end. just in front of the rear drivers side wheel, that clips into a spring loaded Terry clip. The tap is higher than the tank outlet. Therefore the pipe has to be unclipped and dropped to the ground before it will drain into a low bowl or service point.

Have you lost this drain pipe?

DavenRoe

Free Member
Sep 27, 2014
Bredenbury, Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
As a relative newcomer to motor-homing I am following this debate with interest. If it is OK to dump your grey waste anywhere, at any time (as most folk seem to believe) then why do all motorhome manufacturers go to the bother of fitting large capacity storage tanks to their vehicles? Why don't they simply run the discharge pipes from the sink, hand basin and shower straight to the underside of their vehicles. Think of the weight/cost savings.
On the same subject, re. Malvern. A neighbouring van pulled of the site leaving a foaming mound of suds on his pitch. When eventually this had subsided there was an unsightly greasy patch with uneaten carrot slices, peas, and noodles, together with shreds of sodden paper kitchen towel left behind. Ugh!
. . . and don't even start me on the owners of another van who raised the flap of their awning very early every single morning to let a rather large dog out to wander and defecate unsupervised, presumably whilst they enjoyed an extended and unconcerned lie-in.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
with uneaten carrot slices, peas, and noodles, together with shreds of sodden paper kitchen towel left behind. Ugh!
Dont be soft.....I bet you put bird food out for the poor tweety sparrows??? The very same birds eat carrots, peas AND noodles.....(y)

and don't even start me on the owners of another van who raised the flap of their awning very early every single morning to let a rather large dog out to wander and defecate unsupervised, presumably whilst they enjoyed an extended and unconcerned lie-in.

Did they have ten foot arms?? I have never seen that happen. I do hope you woke them up to tell them what there dog had done whilst they released it as they slept........And if you didn't, why not?? o_O

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
There's no 'bits' in my grey waste - the dog does a very efficient 'pre-wash' prior to washing up. Hedge bottom, or take it home is my preference.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Completely missed the point of my post but never mind. If you define "proper facilities for motorhomers" as always including drive over drains we're never going to agree on this issue.

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
Completely missed the point of my post but never mind. If you define "proper facilities for motorhomers" as always including drive over drains we're never going to agree on this issue.
I think we'll have to agree to differ on this one.

drago35uk

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
I bucket mine away to the grey waste emptying point as I wouldn't want some poor sod tripping over the ball of hair that was once on the wife's head prior to spending an hour using all the hot water!

But, what I did notice at our recent CC site Godrevy/St Ives visit was that their motorhome service point which was located in like a layby to the sites road, had its drain positioned in the middle of that layby. So when pulling in to it, you drive over the drain and its slap bang in the middle of under your motorhome.
Plus it was a drain metal cover which weighed a tonne leaving a big hole.
I've never seen a motorhome with its drain valve positioned centrally underneath the chassis? - how would you get to it?
So not only poor planning of siting the drain but you need to be Charles atlas to get the lid off. Mis-judge it and your wheel's down the hole.
Park off layby and you block everyone wanting to pass.
With events like this, it's no wonder people are tempted to drive off with the drain valve open.

Mine is bang in the middle with a rod operated valve. No need for buckets ,filters etc as I am in disguise(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back