grey waste on grass (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
.its only idleness and the person not being bothered to empty into a container and take to the waste water dump.

I think you'll find that in a lot of the cases being talked about there isn't a dump point to take it to. We aren't talking about Caravan Club sites here. A lot of CL's and smaller sites don't have them. Even Shell Island which is huge and commercial doesn't have a single place to get rid of grey water. They are the ones that instructed me to dump it on the road as I drove away.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
I think you'll find that in a lot of the cases being talked about there isn't a dump point to take it to. We aren't talking about Caravan Club sites here. A lot of CL's and smaller sites don't have them. Even Shell Island which is huge and commercial doesn't have a single place to get rid of grey water. They are the ones that instructed me to dump it on the road as I drove away.
Who mentioned the CC,your entitled to your opinion and I've just given you ours . I just firmly believe that all waste should be dumped responsibly.as far as I'm aware there's nothing wrong with that.
Brian & Jo

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Who mentioned the CC,your entitled to your opinion and I've just given you ours . I just firmly believe that all waste should be dumped responsibly.as far as I'm aware there's nothing wrong with that.
Brian & Jo

OK so if you were staying at Shell Island, Lyndon Top or any number of CL/CS type sites with no grey water dumping facility provided what would you do with yours?

I'm not having a go at you but not everywhere is full service.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If you fit a long enough piece of flexible pipe from your waste tank tap it will reach down to the ground.

Leave your tap open and no one will see the grey water coming out.

What they don't notice won't upset them...

To reduce the amount going into your own grey tank always throw your washing up water from the bowl out of your door aiming at the ground under the van next door...

Make sure you have removed all your quality cutlery from the bowl first though.

JJ :cool:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If you fit a long enough piece of flexible pipe from your waste tank tap it will reach down to the ground.

Leave your tap open and no one will see the grey water coming out.

What they don't notice won't upset them...

To reduce the amount going into your own grey tank always throw your washing up water from the bowl out of your door aiming at the ground under the van next door...

Make sure you have removed all your quality cutlery from the bowl first though.

JJ :cool:

I must be careful with our cutlery, has my initials BR engraved. ;)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We made a rookie mistake at the weekend, rinsed the system through before leaving on the Friday and when we got home I went to empty it down the drain I park over and the tap was already open, doh! I was horrified, we had obviously poured all our grey waste straight onto our pitch and then every lay by we had stopped for tea and biscuits on Dartmoor. Fortunately our pitch was on gravel so no damp patch for the next occupant, but I will never do it again. No 1 priority before leaving... Check grey waste tap.

I did that in Spain last Easter.

It did save the hassle of emptying it though and the grass seemed to like it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We're off to a festival on Thursday. Have a guess where our grey is going on Monday morning.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
if there is nowhere to dump grey waste we bring it home and dump in our drains.

I thought shell island had grey waste points cos it's definitely got Elsan points, don't know about Lyndon top though.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Just spent a week at a show, camping for hundreds in fields, longish grass and no grey emptying. I used the majic bucket, a quarter full of grass as a filter. At the end of the week dispose of the grass in a bag in the waste container. I estimated I had deposited 200L of water in a small area. The ground was not even damp and certainly not boggy, presumably because its deposited only gradually and has time to soak away.
Obviously if there are facilities for grey waste disposal then I will use it, if not the above serves whe necessary.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
OK so if you were staying at Shell Island, Lyndon Top or any number of CL/CS type sites with no grey water dumping facility provided what would you do with yours?

I'm not having a go at you but not everywhere is full service.
In 22yrs of camping,caravanning and motorhoming I have never been anywhere that you cannot dump your waste responsibly .i find it hard to believe that any campsite has not got this facility.
Brian & Jo

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
if there is nowhere to dump grey waste we bring it home and dump in our drains.

I thought shell island had grey waste points cos it's definitely got Elsan points, don't know about Lyndon top though.

Do you make sure that the drain you use is connected to a sewer and isn't just a rainwater run off? If not what's the difference.

Shell Island do have Elsan points but according the the people in the office they have no grey dump facility. Apparently they used to have a drive over one but it's not in use any more. They practically ordered me to dump it on the road when I left. I didn't do this.

Lyndon Top has a couple of Elsan points but no grey facility. The instructions there are to dump it in the hedge or in one of the planted border things that break the bigger fields up.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
In 22yrs of camping,caravanning and motorhoming I have never been anywhere that you cannot dump your waste responsibly .i find it hard to believe that any campsite has not got this facility.
Brian & Jo

Shell Island
Lyndon Top
Many CLs and CSs

None of the above provide "proper" grey dumps. I'm sure someone else can confirm it for you if you don't believe me.

My post before this one details what the two big sites instruct you to do and on more than one CL/CS I've been told by the owner to just dump it on the grass where I'm pitched.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
If we are at Shell Island / Lyndon Top or the likes I try and find a hedgerow or similar that would not mind an extra bit of water. I always remember on a pitch in France it was very hot and we had a sad looking bush leaves wilting almost dead, for a week I watered it with my waste water , when we went a nice healthy bush, my waste water certainly did it no harm.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Do you make sure that the drain you use is connected to a sewer and isn't just a rainwater run off? If not what's the difference.

Shell Island do have Elsan points but according the the people in the office they have no grey dump facility. Apparently they used to have a drive over one but it's not in use any more. They practically ordered me to dump it on the road when I left. I didn't do this.

Lyndon Top has a couple of Elsan points but no grey facility. The instructions there are to dump it in the hedge or in one of the planted border things that break the bigger fields up.
Yes I do make sure the drain I use is connected to a sewer, it's the main sewer from our bathroom and ensuite.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Grey can be emptied in elsan points, it would all go down the the same pipe in any domestic situation.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Grey can be emptied in elsan points, it would all go down the the same pipe in any domestic situation.

That's what I did at Shell Island in preference to their stupid instructions. I had to empty the toilet on the way out anyway and we had very little grey so it was no big deal.

Can see it being a little impractical if you had a full tankful to get rid of though.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
That's what I did at Shell Island in preference to their stupid instructions. I had to empty the toilet on the way out anyway and we had very little grey so it was no big deal.

Can see it being a little impractical if you had a full tankful to get rid of though.

Can see big queues for the Elsan points when we go to shell island in September for the rally that isn't a rally :rollingeyes:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Can see big queues for the Elsan points when we go to shell island in September for the rally that isn't a rally :rollingeyes:

There's only one bloody Elsan point as well. For the whole 300 acres.

If I stay there again which is highly unlikely I'll be using the hedges.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Shell Island
Lyndon Top
Many CLs and CSs

None of the above provide "proper" grey dumps. I'm sure someone else can confirm it for you if you don't believe me.

My post before this one details what the two big sites instruct you to do and on more than one CL/CS I've been told by the owner to just dump it on the grass where I'm pitched.
We just wouldn't support those sites without that fundamental facility. But that's just our opinion and the way we chose to camp. I obviously bow to your superior knowledge about sites,maybe I haven't lived and I've led a very sheltered, CC type life previously.:whistle::LOL:
Brian & Jo

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
There's only one bloody Elsan point as well. For the whole 300 acres.

If I stay there again which is highly unlikely I'll be using the hedges.

:Eeek: Oh dear, I can see another 'poo in carrier bag' thread about to start....:doh::doh::doh:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I may be wrong not read the whole thread but I advocate the use of a grass filter when holding rallies. A carrier bag with holes in the bottom stuffed full of grass or hay from the hedgrows, that traps any detritis and the water flows through to soak into the ground, waste tap left open. At the end of the rally close the tap tie up the grass filter and leave in the rubbish bins provided, no smell, no residue and not health problems, just healthy grass.
We do have a grey dump on site as well should anyone need it.

Phil J.

Free Member
Dec 21, 2014
Clay Cross, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 696
Exp
At Camping and Caravan Club weekend rallies it's normal to dispose of grey water in the hedgerow.
We use a waste master type for getting rid of waste water but a bit of a problem I had at the Norfolk moto4home show, where you had to use the toilet waste disposal point, was the height you had to lift it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We just wouldn't support those sites without that fundamental facility. But that's just our opinion and the way we chose to camp. I obviously bow to your superior knowledge about sites,maybe I haven't lived and I've led a very sheltered, CC type life previously.:whistle::LOL:
Brian & Jo

Each to their own obviously. Personally I hate big full service club type sites with a passion and won't ever willingly stay on one.

There's no need to have a dig. You expressed some surprise in post #70 that sites exist without, what to you are, "basic" facilities. All I did was offer some examples of sites that I've stayed on that don't have these things. The two big sites I mentioned don't have EHU either.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I bucket mine away to the grey waste emptying point as I wouldn't want some poor sod tripping over the ball of hair that was once on the wife's head prior to spending an hour using all the hot water!

But, what I did notice at our recent CC site Godrevy/St Ives visit was that their motorhome service point which was located in like a layby to the sites road, had its drain positioned in the middle of that layby. So when pulling in to it, you drive over the drain and its slap bang in the middle of under your motorhome.
Plus it was a drain metal cover which weighed a tonne leaving a big hole.
I've never seen a motorhome with its drain valve positioned centrally underneath the chassis? - how would you get to it?
So not only poor planning of siting the drain but you need to be Charles atlas to get the lid off. Mis-judge it and your wheel's down the hole.
Park off layby and you block everyone wanting to pass.
With events like this, it's no wonder people are tempted to drive off with the drain valve open.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I bucket mine away to the grey waste emptying point as I wouldn't want some poor sod tripping over the ball of hair that was once on the wife's head prior to spending an hour using all the hot water!

But, what I did notice at our recent CC site Godrevy/St Ives visit was that their motorhome service point which was located in like a layby to the sites road, had its drain positioned in the middle of that layby. So when pulling in to it, you drive over the drain and its slap bang in the middle of under your motorhome.
Plus it was a drain metal cover which weighed a tonne leaving a big hole.
I've never seen a motorhome with its drain valve positioned centrally underneath the chassis? - how would you get to it?
So not only poor planning of siting the drain but you need to be Charles atlas to get the lid off. Mis-judge it and your wheel's down the hole.
Park off layby and you block everyone wanting to pass.
With events like this, it's no wonder people are tempted to drive off with the drain valve open.

I'm trying to remember the aire we stayed on that had a drive over dump but it was set between two hedges less than 2m apart so it was impossible to actually drive over it. Wissant maybe?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Its not been a problem with RV , just attach 3" dump hose and down it goes . If too central use longer hose.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Our six peneth. ..
We go to lots of sites that have grey waste drains that you drive over. .. our grey waste drain is central .. its not difficult to line up.
If there isn't a drain then once we've left we find the first quiet lay by with a drain and empty there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back