Greece-Italy-Croatia-Ferries (1 Viewer)

Aug 2, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo It 724
Exp
Since 2015
In order to circumnavigate Albania, we’ve just completed a weekend dog leg from Greece (Igoumenitsa) overnight to Italy (Bari) by Superfast; had a surprisingly lovely day in Bari before embarking from Bari to Croatia- Dubrovnik on an overnight ferry with Jadrolinija on a dire rust bucket called ‘Dubrovnik’.

Granted, we couldn’t get a cabin because it was booked solid, and so we we’re obliged to pay for a ‘reclining seat’ for the night. So there was a degree of trepidation even before boarding.

The Pros; We got to Croatia.
The Cons: This boat is a rusting, filthy, noisy, cramped disgrace, the carpets and seats are stained worn and smelly. Apparently aquired from the Brits when it was originally retired, it’s a floating hell hole of a boat, with cramped narrow corridors and uneven floors. Every painted surface is chipped and dirty. And the toilets are really special places - bloody awful.

There are hundreds of numbered ‘reclining seats’ set out in rows, except they don’t recline, just tilt back a couple of inches, worse than a ThomasCramp flight to Turkey.
Coupled with the fact that there were four coach loads of Italian women around us, none of whom were shy of decibels, I didn’t get much kip. Probably why i’m a bit testy today.

Also, there is no WiFi available anywhere on the boat, but the best is last, it was very entertaining watching vans and campers having to reverse load up the ramp with the HGV’s, crikey, embarrassing to watch,

Anyway, the upshot is- avoid this boat - not recommended.

But I will give Viamare a thumbs up for sorting out the bookings.

And...calm.

OP
OP
Decaf
Aug 2, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo It 724
Exp
Since 2015
Why do you need to avoid Albania please ?
Because Safeguard wouldn’t provide any insurance cover, and the border insurance is minimum cover and no recovery.

I’ve previously ridden through Albania - Montenegro - Macedonia on my motorbike, but that was with Comp: cover. Lovely country, but it’s a personal choice about the level of risk you are prepared to take with a very expensive motorhome.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I think I'd have chanced it, but then i can double the value of my motorhome by filling the tank with diesel :confused:

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Sorry you had such an appalling experience. I've never used that particular route but have used Jadralinja a lot over the last 45 or so years and while some, most, of them leave a bit to be desired I've never had it this bad. Trust you enjoy rest of your trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back