Greater Manchester Clean Air Plans - Charging Motorhomes (2 Viewers)

Apr 10, 2018
Gt Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500
Exp
10 yrs
Greater Manchester’s air quality regularly exceeds global health guidelines. I will leave it at that as this isn’t the forum for political discussion.

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
Isn’t Birmingham’s, and if so, why not the whole of Birmingham and surrounding areas included in the CAZ Zone.
It’s just Burnham trying to claw back the money from his so called free bus passes and make a name for himself. The man is an out and out liar, which he’s admitted himself.
Do you honestly believe his bus passes are free.

Deleted User
Isn’t Birmingham’s, and if so, why not the whole of Birmingham and surrounding areas included in the CAZ Zone.
It’s just Burnham trying to claw back the money from his so called free bus passes and make a name for himself. The man is an out and out liar, which he’s admitted himself.
And there's me thinking that free oap bus passes was a national scheme!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Just to clear a few points up. Over the last 15 years Manchester has put into place and is still doing so, large numbers of congestion causing schemes. To qualify for a COZ 1st you have to have pollution, these schemes caused that back in 2017 and hence the government tasked them with cleaning up the air, it didn’t say that it had to be a charging scheme. Manchester, seizing an opportunity submitted a charging COZ which was accepted by government and was told to implement it. Now there is uproar, especially as since then the pollution levels have fallen to bellow levels that would need any action. People have seen that it is purely a money grab and a lot can’t afford to upgrade their vehicles.

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
Central Manchester has a pretty good bus, tram & rail network. Outside of this area it’s absolutely crap. What’s needed in the 500 mile CAZ zone is better public transport links and only when this is in place, put a charge on.

Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
I have been following the Manchester CAZ , although I don't live there , I can see this coming to everyone eventually.
We are going to vote out Labour and Tories in the local elections , we need to show them , they will lose their seats if they continue to persecute the motorist.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I have been following the Manchester CAZ , although I don't live there , I can see this coming to everyone eventually.
We are going to vote out Labour and Tories in the local elections , we need to show them , they will lose their seats if they continue to persecute the motorist.
As you can see I live in Manchester, it affects everyone regardless of whether you drive or not rethink the caz GM has made people aware as they were trying to sneak it in, so it will be fought and personally I think it will be defeated, it’s being watched countrywide and the result will have a big bearing on other areas.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I'm so pleased so many of you show compassion for Ella Adoo-Kissi-Debrah. The comments truly show peoples care and consideration for others.

ap.jpg

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Latest is:

Government has agreed that the Greater Manchester charging Clean Air Zone (for HGVs, buses, coaches and non-GM licensed taxis and private hire) will not go ahead on 30 May 2022.
The news comes after Greater Manchester said the current plan – developed under a legal direction to meet air quality limits by 2024 – was “unworkable” and could have created financial hardship for local people due to changes in the availability and affordability of cleaner vehicles.
A new government direction now requires Greater Manchester’s 10 local authorities to bring nitrogen dioxide on local roads to within legal limits as soon as possible and by no later than 2026.
GM now has until 1 July 2022 to work with government to develop a new plan that will clean up our air while protecting livelihoods.

Apr 10, 2018
Gt Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500
Exp
10 yrs
Nothing is free even those eye tests that opticians and chemists offer as free. The NHS pays for those.

Jun 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680
Just recently got back from Europe and drove through London , being a complete novice in that area I drove through an emission/ congestion zone? three weeks later received a find for £500.00, kind of knocked the edge off our 3 Month trip.:(

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I'm so pleased so many of you show compassion for Ella Adoo-Kissi-Debrah. The comments truly show peoples care and consideration for others.

View attachment 588782
Nobody is denying that pollution exists, but you choose an extreme case where she had severe asthma, also it happened in London where they are charging lot to drive in the area, unfortunately the pollution figures tend to be around 8, Greater Manchester is three at the highest, normally one or two, the figures 1,2 and 3 are in the low scale whereas 8 is in the high scale. The whole thing is about making money, if it really was aboutclean air they would treat it seriously and ban many vehicles.
Latest is:

Government has agreed that the Greater Manchester charging Clean Air Zone (for HGVs, buses, coaches and non-GM licensed taxis and private hire) will not go ahead on 30 May 2022.
The news comes after Greater Manchester said the current plan – developed under a legal direction to meet air quality limits by 2024 – was “unworkable” and could have created financial hardship for local people due to changes in the availability and affordability of cleaner vehicles.
A new government direction now requires Greater Manchester’s 10 local authorities to bring nitrogen dioxide on local roads to within legal limits as soon as possible and by no later than 2026.
GM now has until 1 July 2022 to work with government to develop a new plan that will clean up our air while protecting livelihoods.
No2 figures are within legal limits, as for saying Greater Manchester have said its not workable that’s only since they have been found out, otherwise they were quite happy to enforce it.
Just recently got back from Europe and drove through London , being a complete novice in that area I drove through an emission/ congestion zone? three weeks later received a find for £500.00, kind of knocked the edge off our 3 Month trip.:(
That’s ideally what they want, people to drive through a chargeable caz area and not know they have to pay a charge and the first they know of it is when they receive a fine in the post.
If you park illegally, or accidentally go through a bus lane or commit any other motoring offence you receive a letter in the post advising you, if you don’t pay within a certain time it goes up, but at least your warned, not with caz, they give you no warnings.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Greater Manchester’s air quality regularly exceeds global health guidelines. I will leave it at that as this isn’t the forum for political discussion.
I think you need to rephrase that. Wigan, Leigh, Atherton, Ramsbotham, the list goes on and on of towns and villages in Greater Manchester that don’t.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Everyone will pay all my builder mates just said £10 a day going on the bill. So even if you have an electric car your paying.
I agree the builder etc cannot afford the £10 a day, he has to pass it on, so I think the reference to the electric car is you can have one thinking you don’t pay but if you use a tradesman then you could be picking up a bigger bill than you expect so indirectly we would all be paying.

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
It’s an indirect form of taxation , it’s that simple , I call it theft , regarding Burnham I believe we get the politicians we deserve .
If we are truly that motivated to oppose these criminal politicians then we should stand for office or shut up n suck it up .
Who on here fancies standing ? 💡

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

View attachment 588782
I'm not without sympathy for this unfortunate girl, but this is a bit of a strange story, she died in 2013 and it has taken until 2020 for an expert to put their name to the cause of death being air pollution. Prior to this her death had been attributed to respiratory failure and when you read the conclusion further down the page :-

"Giving his narrative conclusion over almost an hour, the coroner said: ‘I will conclude that Ella died of asthma, contributed to by exposure to excessive air pollution.’

I have no doubt that there is air pollution in a major city, there always will be. I also have no doubt that sometimes children are sadly afflicted with a health problem. What I'm not convinced about is that if the surrounding traffic comprised of Euro 6 vehicles instead of Euro 4 or 5, that this outcome would have been any different.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
My reference was you will pay via builders etc working on your house charging you the £10 pounds daily cost for attending your property.
So not fake news a real cost that i will be adding to my invoices.
It’s expensive to get trades to work in the centre of Manchester if you have a flat there now, and for parking if visiting

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
It’s expensive to get trades to work in the centre of Manchester if you have a flat there now, and for parking if visiting
Yes poorly thought through as said before. Cant just offer people £5 k grant and say get on with it. Where do you find the other £35 k for an electric van of the size i would require.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
......... What I'm not convinced about is that if the surrounding traffic comprised of Euro 6 vehicles instead of Euro 4 or 5, that this outcome would have been any different.
You can't seriously be saying that the level of pollution wouldn't make any difference to a child with existing breathing difficulties. I have a vested interest, having COPD to the extent I have just been prescribed oxygen. For some time now I can tell if the surrounding air is polluted to the extent that it effects my breathing. People seem to be saying that their right to drive what they want where they want should supersede the rights of those with respiratory problems to live as normal a life as possible. My grandsons live very close to a major southern approach to Greater London, which is busy 12/14 hours a day. I frequently notice fume laden air there to the extent that I occasionally wore a mask prior to covid.
I am sympathetic to owners of vehicles which are classed as high polluting, but there are solutions, including storage outside a CAZ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back