Grand Fort Phillippe (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We headed for the above Aire last Friday.

It was closed off with very rugged height barriers in place. No signs suggesting it was still in use as an Aire, nor any signs for alternatives. The harbourside Road was also closed for roadworks.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
One assumes you already know that the alternative is in Rue du Port, near the marina? I have wondered about the one you mentioned but we like to visit the eateries on the other side of the canal.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
One assumes you already know that the alternative is in Rue du Port, near the marina? I have wondered about the one you mentioned but we like to visit the eateries on the other side of the canal.
No, we didn’t know, but just stopped off on the way back to the Ferry at Dunkirk to park up for lunch. Had “frites” from the “friterie” on the quayside.

It was shown in our “All the Aires” book as current.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Shows how good all the Aires is , that aire has been closed about two years, but why you would want to go past gravelines to get there no one knows:xdoh:

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Perhaps because we didn’t want to stay the night?

We were returning to Dunkirk from Belgium, had already passed Graveline, when it started to pour down and driving became awkward. Grand Fort Phillippe looked like a good place to break our journey before continuing to the Ferry.

We had already “serviced” the m/h at Graveline 2.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
No, we didn’t know, but just stopped off on the way back to the Ferry at Dunkirk to park up for lunch.

The Rue du Port aire gets a lot of mention on MHF, so I wondered if you might have already heard of it - anyway, you can see it here in Streetview for future reference. Service point (if needed) is on a campsite closer to the sea front, east of the canal.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Service point (if needed) is on a campsite closer to the sea front, east of the canal.

The official service point is about half a mile away, well signposted from the aire. Don't think there's a campsite there.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The Rue du Port aire gets a lot of mention on MHF, so I wondered if you might have already heard of it - anyway, you can see it here in Streetview for future reference. Service point (if needed) is on a campsite closer to the sea front, east of the canal.
Thanks for that.:xThumb:

I must admit that I had never seriously entertained the notion of using any Aire at good Phillippe. We just stopped for lunch.

I must have missed previous references on MHF and just wanted to help other members avoid disappointment if they intended to head there.

Anyway, I think the closure is now well publicised by all posters on this thread.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The official service point is about half a mile away, well signposted from the aire. Don't think there's a campsite there.

I stand corrected thank you - I'd never used it so assumed it was on the campsite near the dunes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We used the parking area (aire) at 'Le PAarc des Rives de l'Aa on the edge of Gravelines, nice and peaceful, it's about 20 mins walk into town.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back