Got it (1 Viewer)

Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Picked it yesterday stopped off in Moffat for the night a whole new learning curve must say handover went very smoothly.
20230419_114325.jpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Didn’t see you there bilM ours was in the first service bay till lunch time yesterday having a new air conditioning unit fitted😏 great job by the guys in service again, enjoy yours👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Picked it yesterday stopped off in Moffat for the night a whole new learning curve must say handover went very smoothly. View attachment 741245

bilM Your 'flower' blocked the number. Is it new or S/H. What model? Either way enjoy it.
Didn’t see you there bilM ours was in the first service bay till lunch time yesterday having a new air conditioning unit fitted😏 great job by the guys in service again, enjoy yours👍

Martin funflair. Is the AC a new acquisition or a replacement already?

OP
OP
bilM
Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
My new Carthago after 3 months how is it preforming.

Carthago part.
So far grey water v/v can't open or close v/v with operating handle I now use an Allen key on the 90 gearbox. Doors only work sometimes with remote. Front blind not level. All lockers cupboards have the cheapest locking mechanisms I have come across in a long time. Table going to change as the table fitted (mounting) is not fit for purpose.

Mercedes bit. Van is going back in today for 5th time.
MBUX = Screen goes blank. When you blow the horn screen goes blank. Screen goes on and off when driving. Screen freezes.
Wipers = Do their own thing
Parking Brake = Parking brake symbol only comes on some times when you press park.
Key = Key not found this is happening more and more.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We've just got back from.looking at Carthago top end vans to purchase. After selling our faultless 2013 CTourer our sights were on a van for 2. We were amazed at the poor quality and amateur finish. After several hours looking we decided not to go for our (once) favourite brand, Carthago.
Good luck with your repairs.

brysee

Free Member
Dec 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
625se
Exp
I know 3 couples have got a new one this year and are having nightmares
It seems they are building them all on a Friday afternoon to catch up
That's that quality German engineering for you

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
I do hope you're wrong. We have a Compactline on order.

brysee

Free Member
Dec 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
625se
Exp
We are looking for a new van at moment and are still definitely looking at them still
I'm sure all makes are the same really and for the 3 horror stories there are probably 300 good stories that we don't hear because they are to busy enjoying themselves

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Our search for a Carthago started 2 months ago and we visited a dealer nearby. He had a 7 week old van returned as not fit for purpose. The customer was receiving a refund in excess of £165 K. That vehicle is now probably someone else's nightmare.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
The Grey waist open/close lever which is located in underfloor locker never worked as it became disconnected from the open/close valve. The valve is not easily accessible, so the dealer wanted the van in for 3/4 days to drop the grey tank from underneath, which never happened as that would be a PIA to get public transport home from Wellington Somerset, then return same way from Surrey.
I also had a problem with the drawers flying out going arround roundabouts, as the smallest bounce would allow the drawers to open, this was fixed by shimming the drawer latches with packing washers.
I cannot fault the build of the furniture & cupboards, hinges are very good quality, every wire & pipe is well hidden between floors and neatly installed, making it a bugger to get to if there are any problems.
Prices now are just plain silly, yet their orders books are still full, where is the new money coming from?
I doubt many would have had a 10% pay increase year on year.
Autumn 2017 Carthago Chick C Line models 149/150 single rear beds or double queen bed versions, were on the forecourt with list prices of £103,000, look at them today, its mind boggling.
LES

brysee

Free Member
Dec 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
625se
Exp
Germans are by far the best at engineering twice the price for the same product
Genius when you think about it

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Germans are by far the best at engineering twice the price for the same product
Genius when you think about it
The hinges, catches and mountings on my Carthago are not the same products as the ones I had on my Autosleeper, the Carthago ones are far better. They usually put the products together properly when making a motorhome but occasionally get it wrong and when they do it stands out. What matters then is how they put matters right.

They made a mistake on my Compactline by missing a clip on part of the wiring harness. This resulted in a a breakdown of the Comfortmatic gearbox because one of the wires was chaffed through. I paid the Fiat repair bill and within 2 weeks I had the £329 cost refunded by Carthago. No arguments, no sloping shoulders, just a quick response by the dealer and the manufacturer.

That is what you are paying for.

brysee

Free Member
Dec 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
625se
Exp
The hinges, catches and mountings on my Carthago are not the same products as the ones I had on my Autosleeper, the Carthago ones are far better. They usually put the products together properly when making a motorhome but occasionally get it wrong and when they do it stands out. What matters then is how they put matters right.

They made a mistake on my Compactline by missing a clip on part of the wiring harness. This resulted in a a breakdown of the Comfortmatic gearbox because one of the wires was chaffed through. I paid the Fiat repair bill and within 2 weeks I had the £329 cost refunded by Carthago. No arguments, no sloping shoulders, just a quick response by the dealer and the manufacturer.

That is what you are paying for.
That's all good and well and the majority of people get the same service from all the other brands
I'm not anti German we are considering one as our new van I was just pointing out they charge twice as much for the same product on a reputation that is at least 20 years outdated
It really is genius
Hats off to them

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back