Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
A teacher was interviewed this morning who had been in a coach queuing at Dover for 18hrs.................with 39 kids.o_O
Enjoying the benefits of living in a truly independent nation no doubt. 😉

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I've not been following this having no interest in Ferries.

What's the reason?

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Doubt it as no delays on the tunnel!!
Apparently lack of border control staff in France and ferry delays due to weather but it’s always easier to blame Brexit☹️☹️
It’s one element, when you’ve got to decamp 50+ people and process them all x hundreds of coaches it almost certainly adds to the problem. Coach passengers seem to be bearing the brunt of it which tells its own story.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
It’s one element, when you’ve got to decamp 50+ people and process them all x hundreds of coaches it almost certainly adds to the problem. Coach passengers seem to be bearing the brunt of it which tells its own story.
When I was into my Koi fish we went on a few coach trip to Holland for shows, was about 15 years ago and I remember having to get off the coach and go through a building to show our passports.
Same as the tunnel for the last 12 years we have used it we have always had passports checked by both border control both ways so when the news say about passport checks I don’t think it has changed yet.
Obviously come the time when they start to check finger prints or do retina scans it will be carnage everywhere!!

Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Simon Calder blamed Brexit. It was about time taken to stamp passports. They did convert some car check ins to coach checkins, no idea what the difference is. There was also 15% more coaches than expected?? What does confuse me, last time we crossed the channel on a coach, pre Brexit, and I think it was Dover, all the passengers got out of the coach and went to the terminal, and were processed as foot passenger, then joined the coach in France. The inference over the last couple of days was that passengers normally stay in the coach, or is that only the kids? And hence the processing delays.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
He blames everything on Brexit..
Obviously a man with great insight 😃

It’s been a while time since I ventured anywhere on a coach, but my recollection was a french official would board the coach, look menacingly at a few passengers and then wave us through.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Simon Calder blamed Brexit. It was about time taken to stamp passports. They did convert some car check ins to coach checkins, no idea what the difference is. There was also 15% more coaches than expected?? What does confuse me, last time we crossed the channel on a coach, pre Brexit, and I think it was Dover, all the passengers got out of the coach and went to the terminal, and were processed as foot passenger, then joined the coach in France. The inference over the last couple of days was that passengers normally stay in the coach, or is that only the kids? And hence the processing delays.
Yeah been there done that a few times.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Obviously a man with great insight 😃

Yawn Yawn...

The delays are due to French action. Their refusal to open or staff enough booths.

You are also wrong on two other counts.
Stamping passports is not the issue. They still had to be handed over in most cases anyway and cars checked for security.
Coach passengers do not disembark, coaches are boarded.

I was in ques like this before brexit with the queen's jubilee springing to mind where I waited with 2 kids for 7 hours and we were the lucky ones.

No doubt if I want to get away at the busiest time of the year in any future year it will be the same.

I've just been on my bike over the A55 dual carriageway, hours of ques Wales bound, obvious Brexit

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Yawn Yawn...

The delays are due to French action. Their refusal to open or staff enough booths.

You are also wrong on two other counts.
Stamping passports is not the issue. They still had to be handed over in most cases anyway and cars checked for security.
Coach passengers do not disembark, coaches are boarded.

I was in ques like this before brexit with the queen's jubilee springing to mind where I waited with 2 kids for 7 hours and we were the lucky ones.

No doubt if I want to get away at the busiest time of the year in any future year it will be the same.

I've just been on my bike over the A55 dual carriageway, hours of ques Wales bound, obvious Brexit
Sorry if I’m keeping you up.

What you describe as ‘action’ is lengthy French border processes. And why might they be required?…. hmmm, let me think about that 🤔

I think you’ll find that school parties and groups do get off the coach with their passports so they can be checked face to face. I don’t suppose rounding them up after they’ve gone walk about is easy either.

As for the A55, doesn’t sound like the kind of place I’d visit so not too concerned about delays there.

Last edited:
Reactions: hja
Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Combination of easter holiday get away, bad planning, bad weather and Brexit related nonsense = chaos at Dover, particularly for any poor bugger on a coach.

Doubt it as no delays on the tunnel!!
Apparently lack of border control staff in France and ferry delays due to weather but it’s always easier to blame Brexit☹️☹️

Well it is part of it. Pre Brexit you could get through with a wave of your passport most of the time. Now checks are more thorough.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Sorry if I’m keeping you up.

What you describe as ‘action’ is lengthy French border processes. And why might they be required?…. hmmm, let me think about that 🤔

I think you’ll find that school parties and groups do get off the coach with their passports so they can be checked face to face. I don’t suppose rounding them up after they’ve gone walk about is easy either.

As for the A55, doesn’t sound like the kind of place I’d visit so not too concerned about delays there.

Well you keep on dreaming about the good old days. Whilst the rest of us just get on with it.

Brexit bashing is the most boring of subjects on any forum.
Can you tell me why I was stuck in a 7 hour queue at the queen's jubilee before Brexit?

No? I notice you correct me on the coach issue but ignore anything that doesn't fit the anti brexit agenda. Typical.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Regardless of nationality , any strike action that affects the ordinary person should be treated the same as if they attacked you.
If they only wish to open one border crossing point then wait until it is fully staffed in the future , round them all up, anchor chains & in the sea.
I would nationalise anything that is french every time they pull this stunt.
as was every coach parking space.
because it is far too dear

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
With both of us working shifts it wasn’t often we got away around this time of year let alone trying to cross the channel. I used to get bank holiday pay for Friday and Monday and weekend pay so it was worth working.
Now we are both retired our travel plans are more flexible but we are waiting until after Easter to start our next trip and that won’t involve crossing the channel.
Being in the northern part of the country we would rather use ferries nearer to us and not have the battle of the M25 and the mess at Dover.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Well you keep on dreaming about the good old days. Whilst the rest of us just get on with it.

Brexit bashing is the most boring of subjects on any forum.
Can you tell me why I was stuck in a 7 hour queue at the queen's jubilee before Brexit?

No? I notice you correct me on the coach issue but ignore anything that doesn't fit the anti brexit agenda. Typical.
Actually, if you read my earlier comments I mentioned four contributory reasons for the problems at Dover, Brexit being one of them. If I’m guilty of ignoring points that don’t suit my agenda, how is your approach any different?

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Actually, if you read my earlier comments I mentioned four contributory reasons for the problems at Dover, Brexit being one of them. If I’m guilty of ignoring points that don’t suit my agenda, how is your approach any different?
Give it a rest pal.. it's becoming boring..

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
One principle reason given by the boss of Dover Harbour was that the ferry operators had taken lots of last minute bookings for extra coaches, that the authorities didn't seem to know about? Go figure... :unsure:

Upvote 0
Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
It seems like the tunnel has dumped its coaches onto the Dover ferries. Also people are paying for the ferry and port services and are not getting what they paid for.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp

And then chose to focus on the one that you're still crying about...
Independent country,
A man with great insight etc etc..

You and a few like you just don't seem to understand...

WE'VE LEFT !!!

deal with it.
I didn't want too but we did and have and I couldn't be more excited.

It's proper sad that people are so infactuared by the facts and spend their lives trying to lecture everyone else at every opportunity about why they think they are right..

It's boring, it's sad, we ain't going back.

Move on, it's bad for your health

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back