Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
When I worked at a place that had toilet silo, a bloke would come to suck it all out with a tanker. One day there was a blockage caused by sanitary products the had blocked the manhole leading to the tank.. Said bloke came, rolled up his shirt sleeve and stuck his arm full length int said manhole to stir it up and move the exit blockage. Most of the nearby workers ran off with their hands over their mouth. Can't see the problems myself.. Later in life I had to deal with the same stuff coming out of patients live and hot. somebody had to clear it up and tend to them at the same time.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Ah they put these gloves on in case they have a large deposite stuck up the emptying tube they can reach in and poke it! You know like you do at home with a stick when you have a floater.;):devil::devil:
I find if you keep sliding the flap across as pass it you end up with neat slices that come out of tube easy.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
This is what I use to empty our cassette.

John.

8F0E9E30-BF35-4CBA-AF2A-85C5D6CB16A6.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I've never got passed three pages yet with a question. The response to this one is fantastic.
I completely understand the people who suffer from low infection tolerance. But the Frenchmen who wear elbow length gloves then put the spout of the cassette over the drinking water tap, well!!!!

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Brings a memory back to me many years ago my grandparents lived in a back to back terraced house down RIpon st in Hull .There was only one way in or out which was the front way.The dry toilet(no water or drain) a large tin tank which had to be carried through the house to empty into a cart every two weeks.One particular week when carrying the tank through the house on the bin mans shoulder the rotten bottom fell out and all the efluant dropped out onto the living room floor and furniture .The council came to there aid 2 Days later sending 2 men to clean up .After the clean up they were awarded £8 .16s compensation .for a new coconut mat and a rug.My father went to watch the clean up as our grandparent were stopping at our house .When he came home he told us he was disgusted because the cleaners did not wear gloves ,No mention of the furniture and carpets .Them were the days lol.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I use gloves, rubber ones (not marigolds) for attaching the sewer pipe from the discharge valve on my RV, to the waste chamber. No cassette, only black and grey tanks. Just as I did when driving tankers. Keeps my hands clean from the muck, and the odd cut, and I can wash the gloves on my hands.

Craig

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Polythene gloves are free at petrol stations, I just pull out a few more than I need to handle the diesel.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
When we first started with a motorhome I insisted on wearing throw away nitrile gloves
Richard ( @Scotties ) laughed.. Asked me if my skin leaked !
We still have a few gloves in a box somewhere... for use when delving in to greasy bits under the bonnet :)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Is it time to post some of the classics, they're always good for a laugh, complete with flip flops, bare chested and not a glove in sight:)

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I wear gloves for lots of things, but I have a set just for this , which I use because A) I have them, B) because a fair few places that you empty them have covers with handles, or gratings that have sharp edges, and I don't want to risk a cut.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Clean hands?. After emptying the cassette,eat a noggin of cheese.. Cheese is as good as Swarfega for getting your hands clean,after an oil change ?... Cheese sarnie,sorted.
Tea Bag
Eating the bit where your thumb and forefinger has held it is optional:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Frankiej

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
26 years
I wear gloves for lots of things, but I have a set just for this , which I use because A) I have them, B) because a fair few places that you empty them have covers with handles, or gratings that have sharp edges, and I don't want to risk a cut.

I must admit I hadn’t thought about this, being in the 'no need for gloves' camp, but you’re right, some if the manhole covers are a bit of a hazard. And if you’ve ever emptied into one of those huge vats at a festival that you (or at least I), have to stand on a pallet and reach into the middle to open the lid (which is the size of a dinner plate, btw), and then stretch over to empty at arms length......
Well, you get the picture, there can be some overspill lurking around the tub!
And being not much over 5ft tall, I’m of the opinion I might be better off with elbow length gloves and an apron in that situation!

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I wear my gauntlets as I don't like dirty hands on my arms

1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche, 2013
Exp
Spent a few weeks touring Australia and New Zealand about 10 years ago...
~Sorry if I was sounding a bit miserable on my earlier post.

I feel like I drowning at the moment with Family deaths and impeding passing of another any hour soon.

So, I was just being a bit nowty.
Sorry to hear that.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I have always been in the no gloves camp but last night I watched a program presented by Angela Rippon which made it quite clear how much bacteria we have on our hands and emphasised the importance of careful washing. I dread to think how much bacteria floats around most cassette emptying points so in future it’s single use gloves for me. Having said that I don’t think I have caught anything yet. But why take a chance on picking up something nasty.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
~Sorry if I was sounding a bit miserable on my earlier post.

I feel like I drowning at the moment with Family deaths and impeding passing of another any hour soon.

So, I was just being a bit nowty.
images

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
If the human race was going to be wiped out by a bit of poo, we would have died out 30,000 years ago.

Nothing to worry about really except perhaps

Cholera
Clostridium difficile
Dysentery
Typhoid fever
Vibrio parahaemolyticus.
E-coli
Campylobacter.
Salmonella

A few nights/weeks in hospital should cure these. Indeed, most will have a very positive effect of helping with weight loss.

On second thoughts, maybe gloves are a good idea. If I really wanted a bout of any of these, I'd sign up for a weeks cruise.:LOL:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hubby does the cassette emptying (seeing as he fills it more than me! :D) and doesn't usually bother with gloves but if we're just stopping en route at a service point and all we need to do is empty the cassette he'll put on gloves (usually disposable) which means he then doesn't have to go in the back of the camper to wash his hands afterwards although we do have a bottle of the anti-bac cleaner in the cab just in case he needs to sanitise them but usually by carefully peeling the gloves off the hands afterwards it means no accidental contamination.

Those who don't wear gloves do run the risk of getting germs/bacteria into any cuts, scratches etc they have on their hands from the service point taps, flaps etc so if I did it I would use disposable gloves all the time as I often have the odd cut on my hands ... better to wear gloves than risk infection. Oh, and if you DO get sh*t on your hands regardless of how much scrubbing you do afterwards the smell permeates for a LONG time! :censored: I speak from experience of picking up dog poo when the bag split! :eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back