Giffgaff reduce their roaming allowance to 5 GB and then charge £100 /GB. (1 Viewer)

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
I had this email from Giffgaff today. They're making "changes" (code for reducing) to their roaming allowance, lowering it from 20 GB to 5 GB per month. After that they charge 10 p per MB or £100 per GB although they're afraid to publish the GB price.
IMG_1878.PNG

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Just kick them into touch and cancel. If you need lots of data for the EU, then get yourself a Teikom data sim from the helpful camino.arias@tiekom.com.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I had this email from Giffgaff today. They're making "changes" (code for reducing) to their roaming allowance, lowering it from 20 GB to 5 GB per month. After that they charge 10 p per MB or £100 per GB although they're afraid to publish the GB price.
View attachment 633810
I dumped giffgaf back in January when they wanted to charge me for roaming despite only getting 1/4 of what i was getting in the uk for the same money.

Im going with smarty instead 100gb for £12

RobPullen

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 707
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020 - previously in campers
Just one of the benefits of Brexit for travellers abroad 🤷🏻‍♂️. Agree, kick them into touch and go elsewhere. Tesco Mobile do some good value Sims with up to 20 or 25Gb abroad. EE are currently 20 too but who knows, this could be the start of a change for them all, particularly after not implementing them during Covid.
I will be exploring other options for the future through the likes of Tiekom.

Jan 9, 2017
Luton
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
Just one of the benefits of Brexit for travellers abroad 🤷🏻‍♂️. Agree, kick them into touch and go elsewhere. Tesco Mobile do some good value Sims with up to 20 or 25Gb abroad. EE are currently 20 too but who knows, this could be the start of a change for them all, particularly after not implementing them during Covid.
I will be exploring other options for the future through the likes of Tiekom.
Not any more for new contracts- changed 16th June

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Darloman

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Smarty is 12gb when in EU and they enforce it as I found out. No longer use them at all.

Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Just kick them into touch and cancel. If you need lots of data for the EU, then get yourself a Teikom data sim from the helpful camino.arias@tiekom.com.
I’m trying to get up to speed with this. Are these pre-loaded data sims that you throw away once you’ve used all the data, or a subscription that can be topped up or renewed? And can you order them for delivery to UK before leaving for Europe or better purchased once in Spain?
Sorry for so many questions. If there is a posting or resource I can read up on, please point me in the right direction.
Many thanks.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I’m trying to get up to speed with this. Are these pre-loaded data sims that you throw away once you’ve used all the data, or a subscription that can be topped up or renewed? And can you order them for delivery to UK before leaving for Europe or better purchased once in Spain?
Sorry for so many questions. If there is a posting or resource I can read up on, please point me in the right direction.
Many thanks.
Thread 'I have a solution for good Mobile Data (300G) whilst in Spain (then any zone 1 country)' https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...ilst-in-spain-then-any-zone-1-country.258745/

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
We have used and are still using Giff Gaff for years.
Mrs Bob told me about this yesterday. TBH it all goes over my head, don't understand it and don't care.
However i will show her the above posts out of interest,

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
I don't think there is a single mobile data sim in the UK that will give you enough data to watch their own adverts in the EU.

I also don't think this is unique to the UK. Other EU countries also have data restrictions on roaming. I had a look at getting a ROI sim but it also had EU roaming restrictions.

Local mobile companies need to up their game with providing affordable 'disposable' data sims.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Think I may stay with Giffgaff for now (not going abroad for couple of months) but been looking at Smarty, is there another one with deals like Smarty?

RobPullen

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 707
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020 - previously in campers
I’m currently with EE and have a contract from before the changes took place so get a decent amount of data (50Gb and 20Gb fair use in EU - but this may have changed slightly). I need a good data allowance as when away I need to do some work which can involve Zoom/Teams meetings - allows me ti stay over there instead of coming home again. Did this whilst in France at Easter with no problems at all. Looking ahead, the new package available through pay monthly contracts with EE allows data to be bought for £2 a day beyond your allowed use, which appears to be different depending on your usual data allowance. But you can also buy an add on for £10 a month which allows you to use additional data each day of the month. I can’t quite tell what the fair use allowance for the £10 is though 🤷🏻‍♂️. Looking for better deals than this over the next few weeks as my contract ends in two weeks time and I can upgrade/down cost if I find a better one.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I've changed sim provider 3 times this year, trying to get a useable signal at home. I'm with Giffgaff now, but just recently, I keep getting the message "WhatsApp is using mobile data" even when I'm on our home wifi. The cynic in me thinks it's Giffgaff's way of using up my data quickly, but I'm wondering if the issue is with WhatsApp ? I've never ever seen this message on any other phone/network that I've used previously. 🤷‍♂️

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I don't think there is a single mobile data sim in the UK that will give you enough data to watch their own adverts in the EU.

I also don't think this is unique to the UK. Other EU countries also have data restrictions on roaming. I had a look at getting a ROI sim but it also had EU roaming restrictions.

Local mobile companies need to up their game with providing affordable 'disposable' data sims.
O2 are still giving 25gb. Ive watched qualifying and 2 F1 races on catch up and wife has caught up with Masterchef, supplementing with a Spanish card for other stuff.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Mrs Bob has looked at above mails.
We are staying with Giff Gaff she say's.
Who am i to argue, all a load of Chinese to me.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
GiffGaff had gone from being the very best PAYG five years ago to what now must be the worst.

Has a very loyal following, but it really doesn't deserve it.

I hope people now abandon it in droves and move to 1p, Smarty - any other network because they are now all better.
Trouble is Smarty run on Three (3) which is the worst coverage in the UK, Ive just checked coverage for two location I regulars go to, both o2 and Vodafone have 4g coverage while Three only has 3g so useless for internet.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Trouble is Smarty run on Three (3) which is the worst coverage in the UK, Ive just checked coverage for two location I regulars go to, both o2 and Vodafone have 4g coverage while Three only has 3g so useless for internet.
For my location, and abroad, I find Smarty very good. I've seen many criticisms on here, and find Smarty/3 better than Tesco and EE etc that I have tried. I'll never go back to EE, after the service I had. Each to his own.

OP
OP
L

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
Thanks everyone for your comments. I’ve decided to give Smarty a trial when my Giffgaff goody bag expires. Smarty charge £12 per 100 GB versus £20 with Giffgaff and their EU roaming allowance is (currently) 12 GB in comparison with Giffgaff’s 5 GB.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
At the time it was said to be good, but it did not seem any better than 3. I got a mifi free with the SIM, but changed over to 3 after the initial qualifying period. My wife's phone has a twin SIM, one a Vodafone and one EE. Neither seem to be as good as 3. maybe other factors involved, plus of course they are not data Sims as such. Maybe local area, but as I say have used Three allover western Europe.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Very happy with my Teikom 300 Gb sim using Vodaphone and Express vpn on the firestick and tablets. Been in France for 6 nights now and used 19 Gb watching some of our regular TV programmes on BBCiplayer and listening to the Test Match via BBC Sport. Noticed that without the VPN I would not be able to listen to the cricket. Only 281 Gb left to last me another 3 weeks! No data anxiety here😄

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back