Giffgaff reduce their roaming allowance to 5 GB and then charge £100 /GB. (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just a note that when roaming you are able to choose which network your device uses. On a android phone its in network settings or Link Removed for a huawei mifi.not sure about apple
Yes you can select which network an iPhone uses in the data part of settings.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I found that with the Smarty you can cancel for upto 6 months , I’m thinking of doing that and then getting a local sim for my router next time

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Heads up to anyone heading to France shortly on EE that they’re not currently applying the fair usage limits. Not sure how long it’ll last for though…

View attachment 634653

Does that mean that if you call the UK as it's not in the EU you'll be hit with the extortionate charges?

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Tesco do an unlimited data on 24 month contract which can be used in EU on home from home tariff, so no cap as long as you keep usage in UK/EU comparable, only down side is the 24 month contract but I found it great as I work from my Moho all the time and need reliable internet.. BTW I also have Smarty and Voxi sims as never sure of coverage but thinking of binning Voxi as the have just changed their EU roaming policy to charging a £1 a day and still capped at 20GB per month, not good!! 🤨
As has been said previously as from the 16th June for new contracts you can only use your Tesco unlimited data home from home until 31st December 2022 after that you will have to buy data. If you have a contract from before 16th June you will be okay until such time as you renew your contract, i'm not sure what happens at end of contract whether you will just be able to continue or if you have to renew.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 14, 2022
Carvoeiro, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Bavaria T71LP
Exp
50 years of boating, just one on motorhomes.
We live in Portugal but our PAYG Portuguese Data SIM does not roam into other EU countries. This year we are touring a number of countries so my intention was to just pick up a PAYG data SIM in each one. However, first place was Spain where we got a 150gb Movistar in Valencia for €20. This worked in Spain, and to my surprise, all the way through France and for the last couple of weeks in Italy. So far so good :) All you need is passport in a Movistar shop to buy it and then top it up practically anywhere.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Rip off Britain at its worse but they are all at it! We are probably a minority so they think they can rip us off! I’ll be buying local country unlimited data sims wherever possible!

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
Another benefit of brexit. I've changed my GiffGaff to 3GB from 10GB, never really use that much anyway. That way I can't get clobbered for £100 for 1GB if I go over the 5GB limit. I'll just start another 'goodybag' (hate that term) for £8 once I've used the 3GB up. I'll probably move over to Lebara at some stage They don't seem to any caps on roaming in the EU.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I’ve just changed to Lebara, but as far as I can see they have a fair usage limit on EU roaming, in that you must use less in the EU than you do at home. Ok for low users, but not for us, as we use data for streaming when in the EU. I plan to get the sim from Tiekom (?) recommended on here when we go in October.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Another benefit of brexit. I've changed my GiffGaff to 3GB from 10GB, never really use that much anyway. That way I can't get clobbered for £100 for 1GB if I go over the 5GB limit. I'll just start another 'goodybag' (hate that term) for £8 once I've used the 3GB up. I'll probably move over to Lebara at some stage They don't seem to any caps on roaming in the EU.
I think you will find most companies have a roaming limit, I include EU providers here. They simply cant afford to offer the same mega data deals for the prices they do domestically on a 3rd parties network.

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
I think you will find most companies have a roaming limit, I include EU providers here. They simply cant afford to offer the same mega data deals for the prices they do domestically on a 3rd parties network.
I don't doubt you are right, but I'm not sure how many are charging a whopping £100 per GB. I'm all for fair usage and personally don't use any more date in the EU than at home so I should be ok. I'm also getting a bit fed up with GiffGaffs false 'mateyness' and all this "The network run by you for you" nonsense. End of rant.....for now.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I don't doubt you are right, but I'm not sure how many are charging a whopping £100 per GB. I'm all for fair usage and personally don't use any more date in the EU than at home so I should be ok. I'm also getting a bit fed up with GiffGaffs false 'mateyness' and all this "The network run by you for you" nonsense. End of rant.....for now.
I agree. Left Giff Gaff about 5 yearsbecause I got fed up of them. Like many businesses they were better when they were smaller.

Sep 9, 2021
Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
coach build
Exp
I’m a newbie
As has been said previously as from the 16th June for new contracts you can only use your Tesco unlimited data home from home until 31st December 2022 after that you will have to buy data. If you have a contract from before 16th June you will be okay until such time as you renew your contract, i'm not sure what happens at end of contract whether you will just be able to continue or if you have to renew.
Thanks ChrisL, this is news to me and luckily I got my contract before 16th June :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back