Getting stuck on first trip? (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Remember years ago at Silverstone F1 GP, mud up to your ears. Tractors everywhere making a fortune dragging all sorts of stuff out, even 4x4 were getting stuck.
Never went back, and never will. Not just cause of the mud i may add as we parked on a road about 6 miles away only to get to our seats on the warm up lap. Did i mention never again.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Don't forget to take the bread out first or you'll need more than a slice of luck.:giggle:
or don't use your loaf.
That's half baked advice. Let them use some of their crust

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Also, other things not to worry about on first trip;-
  • Running out of fuel/breaking down on way
  • Forgetting the milk
  • Running out of Gas
  • Batteries going flat
  • Noise in the night........
  • Puncture on way home...no jack
  • Planning next trip
Relax, all part of the FUN :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
With front wheel drive , if you get stuck or wheels slipping going forwards , then try reversing out. It's got me out of a sticky (pun not intended ) situation a couple of times.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I did have some concerns about booking a grass pitch at Tewkesbury Abbey CMC site after seeing news footage of it being underwater a while ago.

When we got there I could see a few places where vans had dug themselves in (since dried out). It was very firm where we pitched up.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Ready for our first trip this weekend and I’m getting really nervous. I’m now panicking as we are on grass and I’m worried about getting stuck.
I’ve bought a couple of flamma mats but don’t think that’s enough

Any advice or product recommendations would be greatly appreciated
Don't Panic just watch Trucking Hell: Merrie tries to winch out a stuck delivery truck without taking down a fence you will feel much better when you see these Guys and Women in action

As the others have said don't worry go and enjoy yourself

Deleted User
Went to one THS and had to be towed IN, I knew it was going to be bad and on leaving it took a double head of 4*4s to get us out - haven't been to one since on grass. You should be OK on a site though, they'll soon get you out when it's time to leave.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
A bit of common sense and all will be fine, don't let it spoil this or any other trip.
On my first trip out in a coachbuilt van (May 1991, Billing Aquadrome, Northants -not that is stays in the mind, much) the van sunk after rain, I was clueless, always someone to help out. The time to get concerned is when the site insist on you being towed in....Silverstone of course.

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
Also, other things not to worry about on first trip;-
  • Running out of fuel/breaking down on way
  • Forgetting the milk
  • Running out of Gas
  • Batteries going flat
  • Noise in the night........
  • Puncture on way home...no jack
  • Planning next trip
Relax, all part of the FUN :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
But do remember to worry about:

- have I got enough wine
- have I got enough beer
- have I got enough painkillers for the hangover

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I had my front nearside wheel drop down a hole up to the axle on a campsite in Spain as I was parking up - the site had been flooded a few weeks previously and the so-called gravel hardstanding had supposedly been rebuilt with fresh gravel. The problem was, it was still sodden underneath... !! :cry:
To my own astonishment, I reversed out without even deploying any of the 4 grip mats I carry. Fortunately, the van has traction control and the offside wheel was on firm ground.

As others have suggested, if you're concerned, park the front wheels on your grip mats and follow the advice from the Funsters here about not spinning the wheels.

You'll be fine. Have a great first trip! (y)

IMG_20191022_153921.jpg

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
Getting stuck is not a fault of yours in the unlikely event it does happen unlike our first trip, to Setthorns in the New Forest. I filled up our water feeling really proud of myself for looking like a seasoned MH’er then disconnected the hose from the tap and walked around the MH to check the water level meter in the van. When I walked back around there appeared to be a newly formed lake….I had left the other end of the hose in the water tank and it had reverse syphoned all 120 litres back out. I went quickly and sheepishly back to our pitch and didn’t have a shower that day.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
It’s not getting stuck. It’s cleaning the mud off after. If you are near me I will get you out. have towing strop (10 ton) and shackles and most of all knowledge.

You are supposed to be going away to relax. So do it whatever happens happens all part of life’s experiences. 👍🏼☘️

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I always carry a strop in the van, there will always be someone willing to hook up and pull you out, if neither of you has a strop, you’re buggered. Never been stuck in van yet but, got a bit stuck at work once :whistle2:
860E3B07-DE36-4D54-9BE9-A04FDCCB9154.jpeg

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I have been stuck twice in 30 years, both times help was available and I was on my way in minutes, don't worry

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Remember years ago at Silverstone F1 GP, mud up to your ears. Tractors everywhere making a fortune dragging all sorts of stuff out, even 4x4 were getting stuck.
Never went back, and never will. Not just cause of the mud i may add as we parked on a road about 6 miles away only to get to our seats on the warm up lap. Did i mention never again.
Only missed 2 Silverstone since it returned always had a ball but unlikely to be returning any time soon but then again I was parked on site next the track great weekend was always had and we were paid for being there and doing very little but to enjoy the weekend (I may have little bit of rose pink tint on my specs)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Alway try to face downhill when pitching if possible.
Trying to set off on even the slightest of wet uphill gradients is asking to get stuck.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Unless you have a tow bracket remember to reverse in so if you need towing out then you can use the towing eye on the front of nearly all vans, most have poor/no decent rear towing points.

Aug 2, 2019
Hapton, Burnley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
Since 2007
We stopped at La Mailleraye Sur Seine 2 years ago. Only ourselves and an old French guy in a beaten up caravan! Next morning tried to get off the grass and got well and truly stuck digging deep furrows into the grass. So French guy come to help - no English we have little French. Between the 3 of us more furrows. In the end the French guy takes my wife off to the Marie!!
15 minutes later they return with 2 guys in a tractor and their boss in a van. 10 minutes later we were pulled out. Hand shakes all round - no charge. ( I slipped the tractor guys 20 euros. Our old French guy refused any cash).
Cannot wait to get stuck on a French Aire again!!

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
I always carry a strop in the van, there will always be someone willing to hook up and pull you out, if neither of you has a strop, you’re buggered. Never been stuck in van yet but, got a bit stuck at work once :whistle2:
View attachment 509746
I carried a strop for years then I got wise and divorced her

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
If you get stuck (which you probably won't) just try and gently rock the van backwards and forwards using very little throttle and keep the steering straight

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Chester one year we got stuck getting on the pitch never did get there and towed out 4 days later

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Taking some pressure out of the drive wheels will help in some situations, making sure you can put pressure back in once released, but on the 2 occasions we have got stuck we never needed to do it.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I don't know the whole story as I don't do Facebook (someone sent me the link but I cannot open it); but this looks a little scary!

Screenshot_20210626_090745_com.android.chrome.jpg

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I don't know the whole story as I don't do Facebook (someone sent me the link but I cannot open it); but this looks a little scary!

View attachment 510269
He ain’t gonna hold that up if it decides to roll, but it’s quite a way from rolling imho!👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back