Getting prescriptions when away for 3 months + (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We "always" forget to take something. :crying1:

Usually we are able to buy a replacement BUT Germany was a real problem. We were getting low on something (dementia kicking in?) and tried several different pharmacies: one said they could get some for the next day but we needed to visit a local doctor and get a prescription before they could order it.

Entering the Netherlands we saw big signs saying "Buy your paracetamol here": speaks volumes! We'd previously spoken to an Ozzie couple who couldn't get them despite obviously being in chronic pain.

A Dutch pharmacist happily provided the tablets that we needed, accepting the local CamperContact spot as our "residence" and filling in their own home address as the billing point.

Gordon

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
On both occasions that we were in Australia and New Zealand for long holidays I had a struggle getting any more than my normal prescription that is for twenty eight days.
My big problem was getting past the receptionist. She said I had to see the doctor to get a holiday prescription. The doctor was furious saying I could have three months and if there was any problem whilst away he told me to take a copy of my prescription to any pharmacy. This could have been sorted by the receptionist by just asking the doctor.
When we were in Australia last year our daughter started with migraines. The local hospital was very close to were we were staying so she called in to the pharmacy for advice. They checked her over and gave her tablets. She was not charged for the checks or the tablets.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
We made an appointment with the local doctor 25 euros each! Just took along the boxes (packets) of current long term meds and he wrote a prescription. SW France.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
You can almost anything over the counter in the chemist in Spain, we got our flu jabs a few weeks ago and do each other, as we was away in the camper because it needs to kept cold its packed within ice pack. 😁 Bob.
View attachment 447722
Mrs Crazylegs recently ran out of Thyroxine whilst in Portugal, before phoning home for help we popped into a chemist who was happy to sell some at a ridiculously cheap price.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks Speve I'm hoping thats the case in Russia and Asia :D
Be very careful carrying even prescription drugs into some Asian countries. Check each country you plan to visit with your precise medication or the equivalent for that country.
Cheers
Ed

OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Hi Dave and Diane,

Thanks for your post detailing European travel after Brexit, very helpful.
I noticed you have travelled extensively in Eastern Europe and wondered if you had any information regarding the aquisition of prescribed drugs in that part of the world?
Thanks

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
We usually get repeats every 3 weeks and build up a stock plus 3 months, but we ran out in Portugal once and got two months supply for 5 Euros, as my doc said prescription charges here are a nice earner for the NHS, I suppose it all depends on what you need.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I order mine on line, one lot I can only get 28 tablets at a time but can re-order it 3 weeks after it has been issued, my other one is 56 tablets which can be ordered again after 7 weeks, with careful ordering I can build up a stock for holidays or if I can get an appointment with the Dr I can get up to 3 months at a time.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Dave and Diane,

Thanks for your post detailing European travel after Brexit, very helpful.
I noticed you have travelled extensively in Eastern Europe and wondered if you had any information regarding the aquisition of prescribed drugs in that part of the world?
Thanks

On any other forum a newbie posts in the wrong place you can bet a smart-arse comes along and takes the pee.
But we don't like that here.

Please make your next post a warm welcome here. https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/hello.232183/

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jim
I sent them a message yesterday and think they posted a reply here by mistake.
Hence I replied and continued our conversation.

They made just one post. saying hello, and you took the pee. We like to have a laugh here but not at a new members expense

OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
In that case I might have mistaken them for the newbies that I have conversed with, I'll check who I messaged. I can assure you that I wasn't taking the Mickey.

Dec 30, 2019
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner t700
Exp
Early 2019
We won't have an address in the UK and friends & relatives live miles away from our doctor.
As far as I'm aware buying them abroad is the only sensible option but someone may well know better.
We expect to be away for 11 months out of 12.
Interestingly we can buy some of our prescribed drugs online.
Thanks for all responses :)
Be very aware of buying on line, as you have no idea what you are likely to get especially if they are from India, not say all on line suppliers are from India or will sell dodgy meds....:)

Nov 22, 2011
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
PVC WildAx
Exp
Since 2007
A cooperative Doctor gave me the maximum he was allowed of three months and a prescription for one more month to carry on my trip to Australia. All set until the pharmacist in Sydney was not permitted to fill the prescription under Aussie regulations. I was told to visit a doctor in Sydney then get a prescription. All at my own expense of course. The pharmacist was delighted to see an English prescription from the NHS!!

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Source = many GP surgeries and Gov websites -

Travelling out of the country for more than 3 months
Patients who inform us they will be leaving the country for more than 3 months will be prescribed sufficient medication to enable them to make alternative arrangements at their destination (up to 3 months supply where safe to do so).

They will also be removed from our patient list. We will be pleased to re-register patients on their return to residence in the UK and can reassure patient that their electronic notes are kept on file for reference on your return.

Patients and relatives should not seek medication for themselves while they are abroad as this constitutes NHS fraud.
Thanks for the information, I will talk to our surgery pharmacist. But as for getting medication on prescription in the eu, when we finally escape from Brussels, it will probably be made very hard to get and very expensive.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I see Superdrug have a facility to consult a doctor and obtain prescribed medicines, max 3 month supply. Wonder if this can be done alongside normal doctors prescription?
You will have to pay for the medicines.
At least you would be dealing with a known entity.

Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
I have found that in both Austria and Spain I can purchase presciption medication by simply showing the counterfoil of a UK presciprion. They do not require the original presciption (which the UK chemist has retained when making it up), as the counterfoild will suffice.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
When my surgery said I could only have 2 months I said I was going anyway and would have a month without medication.They then gave me 2 x 2 months prescription.BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back