Getting prescriptions when away for 3 months + (1 Viewer)

May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
I believe you can get a maximum of 3 months at a time?
How do you manage periods longer than that?

You could get them delivered to a friend or relative who posts them on but this poses at least 2 problems a) It is fraud and therefore illegal b) postal systems are perhaps too erratic to arrive in time.

tia :)

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
My Surgery will only do 2 months holiday script.

To get around that we usually put them in early each month and gradually build up an extra supply.

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
We can usually get 3 months but at the moment the NHS here have instructed surgeries only to issue one month. As we will be away over Christmas and with 4 Bank Holidays, careful planning will be needed.

OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Thanks, our pharmacy monitors the frequency and it would take a while to amass 12 months worth.
Love the map of Greece :)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I believe you can get a maximum of 3 months at a time?
How do you manage periods longer than that?

You could get them delivered to a friend or relative who posts them on but this poses at least 2 problems a) It is fraud and therefore illegal b) postal systems are perhaps too erratic to arrive in time.

tia :)

I'm genuinely struggling on your comment, a)It is fraud and therefore illegal.

Could you please explain.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
We are in the same situation, 3 months only. However, I found them in the local chemist for less than 10 euro for a supply of 100days. They wised up now and ask for prescription. The nice thing about it, I showed my wife’s prescription in english( nhs) for the next lot, they stamped it, signed it and dated next to, and offer us a supply of 4 weeks at the time for under 2 euro. Once the date is up, we just go and re stock for the next lot. This is because stocks are low and need to honour locals prescriptions as well. But 28 days supply no problem.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm genuinely struggling on your comment, a)It is fraud and therefore illegal.

Could you please explain.
I suspect it is fraud to say you need some more when you don't its just to stockpile them although you're very unlikely to be done for it. Whether it's fraud to ask for them to be delivered to a friend I'm not sure isn't there something about being supposed to deregister from your GP if you're away for a certain length of time?

OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Source = many GP surgeries and Gov websites -

Travelling out of the country for more than 3 months
Patients who inform us they will be leaving the country for more than 3 months will be prescribed sufficient medication to enable them to make alternative arrangements at their destination (up to 3 months supply where safe to do so).

They will also be removed from our patient list. We will be pleased to re-register patients on their return to residence in the UK and can reassure patient that their electronic notes are kept on file for reference on your return.

Patients and relatives should not seek medication for themselves while they are abroad as this constitutes NHS fraud.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We struggled to get more than a month from doctors in Wales.:swear: Then we looked to go private but they wanted £8 per tablet and we were using 10 per day. In the end We got a neighbour to collect a repeat prescription and post on when we knew where we would be for a few days.

But you've no need to worry if you have a prescription or an empty bottle or drug details leaflet then In my experience you can get it filled in France, Spain and Portugal. You'll have to pay, but the prices are nothing like at home. For example the tablets we needed they wanted to charge us £8 each for in the UK, were bought in ALL the above mentioned countries for just €14 per 100

OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
I thought it might get expensive as we take 10 per day between us. It's an idea of cost home and away that interested me so, thanks Jim :)
I wonder how Brexit will affect availability in the EU?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I thought it might get expensive as we take 10 per day between us. It's an idea of cost home and away that interested me so, thanks Jim :)
I wonder how Brexit will affect availability in the EU?
I don't think it's going to make any difference I'm pretty sure visitors from other countries could take in prescriptions and buy meds privately.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Source = many GP surgeries and Gov websites -

Travelling out of the country for more than 3 months
Patients who inform us they will be leaving the country for more than 3 months will be prescribed sufficient medication to enable them to make alternative arrangements at their destination (up to 3 months supply where safe to do so).

They will also be removed from our patient list. We will be pleased to re-register patients on their return to residence in the UK and can reassure patient that their electronic notes are kept on file for reference on your return.

Patients and relatives should not seek medication for themselves while they are abroad as this constitutes NHS fraud.

Thank you for that.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I managed to get nearly a years supply from my doctor. She had to ok it and take responsibility for the decision though as it's not standard practice.

OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
We won't have an address in the UK and friends & relatives live miles away from our doctor.
As far as I'm aware buying them abroad is the only sensible option but someone may well know better.
We expect to be away for 11 months out of 12.
Interestingly we can buy some of our prescribed drugs online.
Thanks for all responses :)

OP
OP
frwjd
May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
I managed to get nearly a years supply from my doctor. She had to ok it and take responsibility for the decision though as it's not standard practice.

Yes that is also an option, pleased to see it may be a viable one.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
You can almost anything over the counter in the chemist in Spain, we got our flu jabs a few weeks ago and do each other, as we was away in the camper because it needs to kept cold its packed within ice pack. 😁 Bob.
IMG_20201016_201741451.jpg

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
We used to get 3 - 5 months at a time for our Paul, when we did our forays to France/Spain and Portugal over the winter..

Did that for about 4 years on the trot...

But the Doc did say with so much metal and stainless rods in him, it was the best thing to do.. chase the sun..

I think it`s a lot to do with how well you get on with your doctor and where you live.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
In England it is legal to get 3 months worth if you are travelling overseas. Your GP at their discretion can give you a Private script for a further 3 months supply, this may or may not be cheaper than buying abroad . This is allowed but the GP is taking the responsibility that they are happy that you don’t need your condition monitoring for 6 months or have a plan in place eg blood tests abroad. This is one reason why they might not be happy to give you more.

Obviously there is a bit of flexibility and some CCGs seem to say no now but that is what is legal.

No idea about Scotland and Wales.

What I do is refuse to allow the pharmacy to order our medication. We can reorder online after 2 weeks and 5 days so it is very easy to build up stocks when we’re around. I set a reminder every time I order to reorder after 2 weeks and 5 days. Build up a healthy store. Then ask for 2 months worth to cover hols just before we go away.

Have a look at your online ordering, it will depend how it’s set up but most will let you reorder earlier than you expect to avoid the pain in the bum of people leaving it until the last minute and causing hassle at the Pharmacy!

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Longer than three months is going to run into the 90 rule.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back