Getting a Spanish licence. (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
The missus wants to take her bike test here, but needs to get a Spanish licence to do so. That will also mean getting residencia. That's all OK.

But will she still be able to insure and drive her car in the UK? She keeps her car at her mum's so she can drive her about when she visits.

Or could maybe her brother insure the car and have her as named driver?

TIA.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Spanish Trafico will keep her UK licence when she applies for a Spanish one.

Once with a Spanish licence you cannot drive a UK registered vehicle in Spain, legally. The same as you can't drive a Spanish registered vehicle in the UK if you're still UK resident, legally!!!

I suggest you ask Citizens Advice Spain for the correct information.

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990
The missus wants to take her bike test here, but needs to get a Spanish licence to do so. That will also mean getting residencia. That's all OK.

But will she still be able to insure and drive her car in the UK? She keeps her car at her mum's so she can drive her about when she visits.

Or could maybe her brother insure the car and have her as named driver?

TIA.
If she is getting a license for a motorbike why does she have show her car license. Just apply for new license for motorbike only.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes,she just won't be able to use the caR in Spain ,where she would be resident, but will be legal anywhere else
Should be able to retain her UK licence as well.
No not If exchanging it
No reason why you cant hold two licenses…...
it is totally illegal under EU rules. Even if ,like my brother, you have taken and passed the tests in multiple countries in the days where it was the only way before exchanging was available.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Yes,she just won't be able to use the caR in Spain ,where she would be resident, but will be legal anywhere else

No not If exchanging it
it is totally illegal under EU rules. Even if ,like my brother, you have taken and passed the tests in multiple countries in the days where it was the only way before exchanging was available.
Ah...the EU I forgot about that.....My son took and passed a US driving test in the US and now has both a UK and US driving license. Must admit I was comparing Spain with this...:)

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
If she is getting a license for a motorbike why does she have show her car license. Just apply for new license for motorbike only.
Sorry. She wants a 125 as a learner. Needs to be Spanish for her car bit to qualify her.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
She'll need Spanish Residencia before she can apply to take any form of Spanish driving test.

Also she should be aware that although in some places you can take the theory exam in a very clunky Google translated English version of the original Spanish, the actual practical test is always done in Spanish.

Once a Spanish Resident she will not be able to drive/ride a British registered vehicle vehicle In Spain (except for one not owned by her and if the registered owner is present throughout the journey.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back