Free Member
Feb 5, 2020
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Newbie in March 2019
Hi, We’re planning a 4 week trip in September to Germany. This is our proposed route but after reading some forums are beginning to wonder if we are trying to pack in too much.
We are planning to start in Cologne then travelling to Bonn then Remagen down to Trier.
Then driving up the Mosell to Koblenz, stopping at various places.
Drive down the Rhine as far as Mannheim
Then driving to Wurzburg and driving down the Romantic road to Füssen.
Back up along top of Lake Constance and into the Black Forest towards Baden Baden
Then home.
We were thinking it would be better not to book anywhere to stay but just stop where we fancy ( arriving early enough for spaces)
We would appreciate your thoughts please.
Many thanks Helene

OP
OP
Helandto

Helandto

Free Member
Feb 5, 2020
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Newbie in March 2019
Hi made a mistake we’re actually going for 5 weeks not 4!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sounds like a good trip except far too much for a 4 week trip. From your other thread it sounds like it's going to be one of your first trips abroad. Loads to see in Germany take it a bit easier and enjoy. We have done most of what you are doing all good places to visit but best done over 2 or 3 trips.
You have your Mosele bit back to front, unless you plan going up to Trier and back down again.
Have a look at my Croatian trip (link in my signature) we spent a couple of weeks driving down through Germany also a short German trip last year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
5 weeks is plenty of time. You'll easily get all of that in and even more.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
[Agree we QUOTE="Jimbohorlicks, post: 3693129, member: 22759"]
Just go, no need to book, there are plenty of stellplatz, Aires, some places you will love and stay longer, some you will just want to move on, don't book just go with the flow. (y)
[/QUOTE]
Agree we never book anything.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I just mapped it out in Google maps and I think it sounds like a lovely route - 4 or 5 weeks is plenty of time. Depending on your interests and travel style I'd be tempted to not do too many stops around the Mosel/Rhine - whilst we like the area (especially in September during the wine festivals) we found it got a bit same-y after a while. Our favourite area of Germany is Bavaria - you won't be too far from Munich or even Berchtesgaden as you head towards Füssen and I can recommend visits to both. The view from the Kehlsteinhaus is spectacular (make sure you go on a clear day).

I also agree that in general there's no need to book anything - there are plenty of places to stop and by not booking you leave yourselves the option of changing your mind if you see something you like the look of, or if the weather isn't cooperating! There only exception to that is the Mosel which will be busy in September. If you 100% know that you want to be in a certain place at a certain time and you want a campsite then I do recommend booking because they get full (though you should be able to find a stellplatz somewhere nearby). There is a particular wine festival we like to attend and we like a campsite if we're staying for a few days so that is the one places we actually do book. Apart from that, just go with the flow. And enjoy (y)

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Avoid any am sportsplaz pubs on a wednesday afternoon (firearbent misspelt) or you may not wake up for a few days.

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi. :)

Like Lenny HB, we've also done a lot of touring in Germany covering pretty much everywhere in your plan. In 5 weeks, it's doable, IMHO. However, you will be moving on every couple of days at most, rather than dwelling in any one place for a while. We like that kind of holiday - taking in lots and exploring as much as possible in the available time - but it depends on what you want out of the trip.

You don't say where you plan on crossing via ferry, or if your intention is to make a rapid push through France/Belgium to Germany. If the goal is to see as much of Germany as you reasonably can in the 5 weeks you have, I'd allocate 7 days for outbound/inbound travel and budget 4 weeks in Germany.

I thoroughly recommend fitting in Saarburg at some stage, probably as a start point. From there to Trier, then along the Mosel to Koblenz. You can get a taste of the Mosel valley in a week but you won't be able to stop everywhere that appeals, obviously. You will undoubtedly go back. :)

We found the Romantische Strasse a bit variable. Wurzburg is a huge city and we gave it a miss. Rothenburg ob der Tauber would be a good point to pick up the Romantic Route. Maybe go down the Rhine from Koblenz to Bingen/Rudesheim and then hop on the autobahn to Wurzburg to connect with the 7 to Rothenburg. Take the non-autobahn Romantic Route to Fussen and see how you're doing for time when you get there.

Fussen to Meerburg along the north of Lake Konstanz is a nice run, Meerburg is worth a visit as is Lindau along the way. If you have time in hand, the Rhine Falls at Schaffhausen are on your way back west, too.

Schaffhausen to Freiburg would be my suggestion to take in some of the Black Forest, routing via the Schluchsee and/or Lake Titisee. You might have time for a day or two in Strasbourg before making a dirty dash for the ferry ports. :)

You shouldn't need to book anywhere at that time of year, but check the reviews on CamperContact or the other main campsite apps to see if they suggest advance booking on certain sites.

You have flexibility at all times to change your plans depending on the weather and how you're feeling the trip is going. If you decide you're trying to cram in too much, cut out the eastern end of the plan and focus on the Mosel, Rhine and Black Forest.

Fun, ain't it? :)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Covering that sort of itinary is doable , but you will be driving past more than you are stopping at , Germany is very dense on POI , eg Mosel Trier to Koblenz is a good 4/5 days . Plenty of Stellplatze https://stellplatz.info/reisemobilstellplatz . Very much agree with Lenny and Falcon , ive been visiting Germany on and off for four decades + , still plenty left :)

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
If the Rhine in Flames is on at the time you are going past you have little chance/ no chance of getting anywhere to stop

OP
OP
Helandto

Helandto

Free Member
Feb 5, 2020
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Newbie in March 2019
Wow thank you all, we will take into account some of your ideas. We’ve not yet gone anywhere without having all places booked so this is reassuring. We had thought if we could keep it open we would be free to stay longer if we love it or move on if not. It all looks amazing though. And yes it’s so much fun

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Don’t rely on being able to use plastic as we found that many places don’t accept cards and insist on cash.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Wow thank you all, we will take into account some of your ideas. We’ve not yet gone anywhere without having all places booked so this is reassuring. We had thought if we could keep it open we would be free to stay longer if we love it or move on if not. It all looks amazing though. And yes it’s so much fun
You will rarely have trouble finding somewhere to stop, we have been traveling for 11 years in a Motorhome never booked anything.
In Germany you can stop overnight in car parks providing there isn't a cars only sign.
In case you don't the sign (we use it in the UK)
1580982448502.png

Don’t rely on being able to use plastic as we found that many places don’t accept cards and insist on cash.
Used to be the case but the last few years we have used cards everywhere.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Lenny is your man for this. I have looked at most of his trips with envy!

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I only went last year and found that I could only use a card in garages and supermarkets. Every single restaurant, bar and smaller shop I went into demanded cash so I made several trips to the hole in the wall, even the main campsite we stayed on said "no plastic sorry"! Maybe it was the area we were travelling in (around Mainz mainly)?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
My Favourite route south through Germany is to pick up the E40/42 in Dunkirk to Aachen via Charleroi. Turn off at Junction 2 just as it enters Germany and head directly south to Monschau a town unchanged since a 1700. Then south again to the Mosel at Cochem. Tour the Mosel to Boppard and a ferry across the Rhine. For me there is not much to see on the Rhine so either side will do. There are ferries at various spots down to the south. South to Rüdesheim am Rheine and then I would head for Lindau on the Bodensee. You’re now in my favourite part of Germany, Bavaria and the Tyrol into Austria. There are many place to stop anywhere in Germany and plenty of Stellplatze if needs be. I would strongly recommend Mittenwald for a few days. You are next to the railway station and ticket to Garmish are very cheap. At Garmish station there is mountain railway to the highest Beer Keller in the world.

Other popular visits are a lap of the old Nurburging circuit and the science museums at Technik Museum Speyer and Sinsheim

https://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/en/

You could buy a Critical air sticker for Germany – This one is for France, they last forever and are only about 5 euro.

cert.jpg

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi made a mistake we’re actually going for 5 weeks not 4!

You could easily overdose in that time. If in Fussen you could sample Austria and Northern Italy. Glorious hills. Loads of apples.

I don't see Heidelberg on your list, a must see place.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
I only went last year and found that I could only use a card in garages and supermarkets. Every single restaurant, bar and smaller shop I went into demanded cash so I made several trips to the hole in the wall, even the main campsite we stayed on said "no plastic sorry"! Maybe it was the area we were travelling in (around Mainz mainly)?
We travelled from Cologne to Fussen and back up towards Landau and card was being accepted everywhere we spent any money :unsure:

Mar 22, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V line 635se
Exp
Caravanner since 1993
????
Fuel is cheap, food is cheap, eating out is cheap. Really don't understand your comment.
Yeah. We go all spring and September for 2 months each . Food is cheep fuel is cheaper than here. Eating out is more expensive than shopping it but it's still less than France Netherlands and UK. Not sure why you think Germany is expensive

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Must have been unlucky then. Our friends in Germany explained to us that they are used to carrying cash as shops prefer to lose business rather than pay commission to the card company!

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We had the same concerns as you about booking when we went the first 2 weeks of August last year.
Even then we always found a spot ... try to get to your chosen Stellplatz or site by mid afternoon.
Germany was good value in our eyes. But, whilst cards are accepted in all supermarkets we visited, smaller shops and sitesrequired cash.
We only had 2 weeks and covered the Mosel and the Alpenstrasse plus Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber. A lot of driving but stunning. We fell in love!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back