Generators (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Honda all day long!

I'm thinking of buying one at the moment. Turn off someone's generator is a real no, no in my book. You have no idea what they need the power for, it could be running for a medical device reason and then you'd be in real trouble.

I bought a Honda lawnmower years ago as the engines are amazing; they were said to be the best. The problem was, the engine fell through the cheap rusty steel deck after a few years and had to go to the dump (I did keep the engine though, I thought, I'll need that one day - never have though).

I then bought a Hayter mower with an aluminium deck (paid extra and its been going for years) Although, sadly, I think they are even made in China these days. After 2 years it wouldn't start so I stripped the battery pack down (it's electric start) and found the battery terminal had corroded through completely. Then, the starter key switch broke so I had to hot wire it!

Sadly, real "old school" quality is so very hard to find these days as it's all about profit.
How about a fuel cell ?

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Whoa! $4000-6000! That's pricy!

I see it is fuelled by Methanol. Isn't Methanol volatile / flammable? Why would you carry that stuff around inside your motorhome in a plastic container?

I have a Mastervolt Ultra 12/5000 system but having used it last weekend for the first time on a single overnight off-grid stay, it surprisingly used 50% of the cell power (no solar top-up was available as it rained all weekend). I thought it would have lasted longer than that although we were pretty power-hungry and not giving a single thought to reducing our consumption.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

I see it is fuelled by Methanol. Isn't Methanol volatile / flammable? Why would you carry that stuff around inside your motorhome in a plastic container?

I have a Mastervolt Ultra 12/5000 system but having used it last weekend for the first time on a single overnight off-grid stay, it surprisingly used 50% of the cell power (no solar top-up was available as it rained all weekend). I thought it would have lasted longer than that although we were pretty power-hungry and not giving a single thought to reducing our consumption.
Not as dangerous as petrol but yes it is a fuel(y)

A fuel cell is virtually silent and other than power at 12volts they produce nothing other than heat and water, yes they are expensive but it's only money;)

Martin

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

It’s a case of balancing Generation / Storage and Consumption.
In our N&B we’ve installed 600w of solar, a 60a B2B charger and 540ah of batteries.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Our day to day power requirements are served by 320 watts of solar and 320ah Gel batteries, the EFOY is just a "get out of jail" addition to make sure everything stays charged when in the storage shed and would earn its keep if we didn't have some sun for a few days on end.

Martin

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Do I have to put up with prats like that!

No you don't.

These type of "prats" are everywhere, as you have no doubt noticed.

They think that if they don't like doing something then others mustn't do it because it upsets them.

Luckily motorhomes have wheels and engines which allows us to get away from them. (y)

JJ :cool:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
They think that if they don't like doing something then others mustn't do it because it upsets them.

So where do you draw the line ?

Anti social behaviour is anti social behaviour whether it's in a housing community or in a motorhome.

If your gonna run a genny have the decency to do it miles away from everyone else.

The self entitlement attitude of "F you Jack I'm okay" can easily come back to bite them on the ass.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If your gonna run a genny have the decency to do it miles away from everyone else.

I never understand folk who think they are in a position to advise or tell others what to do.

I have full timed in my motorhome(s) for over 35 years and have built up a fair bit of experience in how to deal with these matters.

But thanks for trying to help me with your opinion. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My view FWIW? Kit out your van so that a genny is unnecessary most of the time then carry one to use only when essential. The very fact that strong opinions exist goes to show that many find them offensive and regard them as anti-social when used to excess.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
No you don't.

These type of "prats" are everywhere, as you have no doubt noticed.

Luckily motorhomes have wheels and engines which allows us to get away from them. (y)

Indeed.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Ever so slightly back on topic, I have a Clarke IG950 inverter generator (the is a Wolf & Screwfix version - same gennie, different colour - I chose Clarke as they have a reputation for good spares backup)

It is only 800W (just) and I use is at Classic motorcycle races/shows, just to top up the batteries (via Victron charger) after a couple of days of rain

It is small, very lightweight, has an eco mode, which reduces revs (& noise) and is great for what I bought it for

Obviously in the environment I use it in, generators are common & not frowned on. But I was interested to ask others about the noise. So I compared it to a 2.2Kw Honda generator being used by the van next to me, and general opinion was that the noise level was about the same (Honda one is way more powerful and probably better made!)

At a classic motorcycle show in Stafford showground, whilst back in the van for lunch, I put the gennie on, after about 10 minutes, I noticed someone had returned to their van, 2 vans down & opposite (close parking as it was busy) so I asked if my gennie was disturbing him - his reply was "what gennie"!

Whilst I know there are some who think that generators are the invention of the devil and these people will never change their minds - I am just suggesting that if you have an occasional requirement for a gennie and 800W is enough, then the one I have is a good bit of kit for the money. Mine was ÂŁ180 on special offer

I will add that my MoHo has been designed around carrying motorcycles, no naked flames/gas, so carrying something with petrol in it is not a problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back