Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Yep Honda 1kw not cheap but comparatively quiet and intelligent. The revs will reduce as your batteries reach charge. They do a 2kv version but heavier and bigger than the small one I find ample for my 3x 110 amp batteries. Although you might need the larger one if running air con direct from it. Another plus is that they are easily convertable to LPG, I just plug mine into the BBQ point, saves all that smelly petrol.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Can anyone help looking to buy a generator for our motorhome any recommendations
You might be opening a can of worms with that question. LOL. But anyway, depending on the power you need to generate it's probably going to be a 1kw or a 2kw genny.
Mike is correct Honda if you can afford them 1kw Honda goes for around £770 and that is on Just Generators at the moment and I think the 2kw one is around £1000.
My friend has a Kipor 1Kw and that does not seem that loud and at a reasonable price of around £400
I myself have a Hyundai 2.2kw with electric start which comes in handy with my back the way it is, because of the extra start this comes in at around £750 and does not seem any louder than my friends Kipor or the Hondas.
I’ve not heard anything bad about these genny’s except from people who hate them and will say use solar panels, to me that is fine except in the winter. I’ve only used my genny once this year and that was over the New Year Bash.
Best Wishes Tony

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
@Mart grump Just to clarify most gennys reduce their revs when power draw is reduced, I think most call this eco mode.
Or it is on my Hyundai
Best Wishes Tony
Only inverter generators, cheaper mechanical generators run at a constant speed.of 3000 rpm (50Hz) no matter what the load.

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Only inverter generators, cheaper mechanical generators run at a constant speed.of 3000 rpm (50Hz) no matter what the load.
That is quite true pappajohn but I assumed "yes come on with the jokes" he would only be looking at an inverter generator as I would think he would want it to be safe for charging
sensitive elctronics, all the ones I'm talking about are what are called suitcase gennys and all inverter gennys.
Best Wishes Tony

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I have a Honda 1kw job which is excellent.
Bought it about 12 years ago when we had a caravan and have hauled it around Europe in the motorhome garage for years.
I think its been used twice in all that time.
I hang on to it because we live in the country and power cuts happen now and again but I really can't say when it was last used in anger.
Solar is so much better but in winter its not always reliable so the Honda gets chucked in the back...............just in case.

Richard.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Cheesy nibbles and lightly chilled anyone. I’m so sick of popcorn. :)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Can anyone help looking to buy a generator for our motorhome any recommendations
Might want to look at these so the rocks your nearby campers throw dont break the windows
BA2880_b-600x600.jpg
:LOL:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
What do you want to power from a generator?

In my case Mobility and Health Aids. AND the ALL important Hair dryer.:rolleyes: But to be fair it really only goes to Festivals, when we are on-site without power for over a week at a time. It was extra useful when the van had a microwave, charging the batteries which powered the Inverter. The current van dosent. Mine is an original Honda 700 vintage 1990`s, Cost £600 then, is quite heavy (all steel casings) and has seen one house build and a refurbishment, operating lighting and running one power tool at a time. Ultimately reliable, I would take bets that even though it has not run since August, if I went to the Garage, even at -2 currently, it would start 1st or 2nd pull.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I myself have a Hyundai 2.2kw with electric start which comes in handy with my back the way it is, because of the extra start

Had a look at these, seems good value. any downside?. SWMBO`s needs are only going to get greater, as we inevitably age. And we seem to acquiring more power hungry stuff all the time. BTW, I assume the Extra should be Electric?(y) Bloody spellcheckers!:whistle:

Mike Kiff

Free Member
Feb 20, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 1995
Good morning from Devon,
I have a HONDA EU10i for sale as new and still in the box, been used
For about 1hour and comes with charging leads and all manuals.

Coming north this next week so may be able to deliver.

£550 Ono Mike.

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Had a look at these, seems good value. any downside?. SWMBO`s needs are only going to get greater, as we inevitably age. And we seem to acquiring more power hungry stuff all the time. BTW, I assume the Extra should be Electric?(y) Bloody spellcheckers!:whistle:

@PeteH LOL yes you are correct it is meant to be electric. Let's talk qbout the downside, because of he extra bits on it for the electric start it's heavier than most, so that might be a big problem for you.

The servicing is from what I see and understand is the same as others, except for the battery which I take out at the end of the season and place on a battery charger maintainer. If Im not going to use it for a while I turn off the petrol tap and keep it running until the fuel is used up and it stops on it's own.

It has been very reliable up to now although as stated the use of this is not very often, it has been left for a year and started up no prolblem although you have to pump this little plastic bulb to refill the carbureta 30 times when coming out of hibernation.
I have been able to start and stop it without getting out of the Motorhome with the remote which is a big plus if it's raining.
To be fair I don't think it's quite as quiet as a Honda but then again the difference is very little and I'm sure if you were listening to them with a blind fold it would be hard to tell which one was louder at the recomended distance. Thanks for the spellcheck error I won't change it as it will make your reply look funny. LOL
Best Wishes Tony

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
@PeteH Hi Pete I see some are indicating LPG might be a way to go, just for your info the Hyundai can be run on LPG obviously with conversion or bought that way.
Best Wishes Tony

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
That is quite true pappajohn but I assumed "yes come on with the jokes" he would only be looking at an inverter generator as I would think he would want it to be safe for charging
sensitive elctronics, all the ones I'm talking about are what are called suitcase gennys and all inverter gennys.
Best Wishes Tony
Interesting that. Non-inverter generators output a true sinewave and are completely safe with sensitive electronics. But, and it's a big but, they can cause damaging surges when equipment connected to them is switched on or off. So, for example, a sensitive, low current, device might be badly affected by a microwave switching off. An inverter generators output is as good or bad as the inverters filters and could be "modified sinewave" or pure sinewave. I don't know how the various inverter generators describe themselves but what applies to any inverter applies equally to the generator variety.

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I don't know how the various inverter generators describe themselves but what applies to any inverter applies equally to the generator variety.

Hi tonyidle don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure that most modern suitcase gennys are pure sine wave inverteres there may be some modern suitcase gennys out there which are of the modified type but I don't know of any. Perhaps others on here know of some.
The difference as I understand it is that pure sine wave gennys are less likely to cause problems to sensitive electronics as aposed to modified gennys.
I'm not a genny expert just go on what i've read like most people who do not have knowlage as a profesional person in this field.
Best Wishes Tony

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Id happily murder generator users in their sleep.

Just saying ....because even wild camping where you think your miles from anyone I guarantee your still annoying the bejeesus out if someone with it.

I watched a pillock fire one up a few weeks back so his wife coukd microwave her porridge.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I use a Honda EU1.0 it's ideal for running the microwave, for the wife's porridge.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I can run a hairdryer and a microwave off my inverter

With zero noise :)

Well apart from the hairdryer noise and the occasional "ping"