Gaslow Advice Please (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Evening ...I'm thinking of having Gaslow fitted to the new van but have a few questions before I embark.

Advantage/disadvantage of auto switch over ...can you tell when you are running low?
The filler cap I've seen some in gas locker and some on outside ..can you still fill upp anywhere if its inside ..pros and cons?
Is it easy to get gas? Is there a data base? Ive seen one on the Gaslow web site but there don't seem to be many.

Anthing else I should consider?

Cheers

Dougal.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I would go for manual change over so at least you know when you are effectively half empty and then can judge when you need to top up as gauges are a waste of time.

Outside mounted filler for us as you are likely to rouse suspicion and maybe get refused if you start stuffing the pump nozzle in a locker, but I'm sure that there will be plenty coming along to tell you otherwise.

For sourcing places to fill we have several app to fall back on.
We manly use : -

https://www.filllpg.co.uk/index.php?page=lpg.php

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.mylpg.android

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
There's a phone app call Fill LPG tells you where and how much
The French Essence (Petrol) APP can also be programmed to sow you

There is a lot of conflicting reports BUT it is generally considered that an external filler is best it is supposed to be fitted so it cannot possibly leak into the habitation part of the motorhome or near an ignition source

Also consider Gasit and Safefill

We have an auto changeover but keep a check on the cylinders but the old-fashioned method of tapping the noise is more accurate than the gauges

Remember you still have to turn the gas off on Train (Channel Tunnel) and Ferry (if they remember )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GerTee

LIFE MEMBER
May 9, 2016
Near Fareham
Funster No
MH
Burstner iXeo
Exp
Since 2016 - UK & Europe
Hi Dougal

We have a manual switchover on a 2 bottle system. We find that one bottle does us around 5 weeks full time. We tend to swap the bottles at 5 weeks and look for somewhere to fill up. The best app we've found for locating LPG garages is myLPG.eu mobile. This has a database of sites which can be used offline.

Our filler cap is on the outside. I believe that this may be a requirement in France, but not sure. Maybe others here have more accurate information.

Don't forget your adapters... depending on where you go you may need 2 or 3: French, Spanish and ?Italian.

For us the system works and is easy to use and fill up.

All the best

Jackie & Alan

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Definitely Gaslow rather than Gasit for me as actually cheaper for the new 4 hole bottles .
A lot depends on how you intend using them as we can use an 11 kg cylinder in 2 days in winter if it’s cold .
I personally don’t like automatic changeover valves as prefer to know when one cylinder is empty so only ever turn one on at a time .

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
We have Alugas, the bottles are lighter than gaslow so save on payload and fill on gas locker door.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@Morag and Dougal What van are you getting?
If you have a Truma system it could have a Truma duoC system which has a control panel in the hab area and a red and green light for the two cylinders and switches them automatically so as with ours when light turns red I know the first cylinder is low or empty so look for refuelling station.
It works very well and even has heater trace to warm gas pipes in locker.:xThumb::xThumb:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Dethleffs Globetrotter XLi 2014 ...don't know about this Truma duoC system.
If you have it on the van it looks like this. Nice van.:xThumb::xThumb::xThumb:
image.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Hi Dougal
Don't forget your adapters... depending on where you go you may need 2 or 3: French, Spanish and ?Italian.
For us the system works and is easy to use and fill up.
All the best
Jackie & Alan

Forgot the adaptors We have Gasit and bought the system complete with them included there are three for Europe just screw on to inlet when you work out which you need ()

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Gasit twin 11’s in mine. Big size upgrade for me as could only have twin 6’s in Calor. Man switch over, but both bottles are always connected so I could empty both together as one if I wished. You can have it where you just connect each bottle as you require it, but you could possibly fill an open bottle with that setup which I consider to be very dangerous.
I’ve got internal filler due to the design of my MoHo, but it’s still safe as the locker is sealed from the habitation are, there are no points of ignition in there, and it has a drain so spilt gas could escape if required. I haven’t had a problem ever filling, and I think that’s due to be competent and confident in filling it.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Have a 2 bottle gaslow system with auto change over but only have one bottle turned on at a time so if one runs out then turn 2nd bottle on. When I bought at first thought auto changeover was easier not realising manual was safer as you knew when one bottle was empty.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Today we had a 2x11kg Gaslow system with auto changeover fitted to our new Globecar.

I hope the contents will last longer than two days.

20181211_171409.jpg

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
We have Gaslow 2x11kg bottles with autochange.
There is nothing worse than one bottle running out
in the middle of the night and having to go outside
in the rain to turn the other bottle on.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
We have Gaslow 2x11kg bottles with autochange.
There is nothing worse than one bottle running out
in the middle of the night and having to go outside
in the rain to turn the other bottle on.
If you know how long bottle lasts check in daylight when you can see if it is low then just swop over anyway you know you want gas then or very soon so start looking for lpg pump still got a few days or more to find one but youre not using autochangeover as it is meant to be used

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Manual changeover for me. I changeover when the first bottle reads low so no chance of a middle of the night job. You don't have to run them down to empty before you refill. Normally refill at first opportunity when the first bottle runs low.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Have you considered going for an underslung gas tank. It frees up the gas locker for storage.

Stephen Franklin

Free Member
Jan 11, 2017
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Alpa
Exp
since 2017
Auto changeover is the preferred option for us. It means you will never get caught out. The changeover valve makes it obvious that it has switched to the second bottle so you then know you need to refill the next time you have the opportunity.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Gaslow works well for us although haven't tried another system.
2 x 11 kg bottles with auto changeover and we also have an indication in the cab regarding what cylinder we are using. Also has an auto cut off for ferries/tunnels.
External filling as some garages are instructed not to refill gas bottles - if its an external filler point it is not so obvious. It would also make the filling easier which can be tricky sometimes.
When we had the standard bottles we were always throwing away partly used bottles as we wanted to start a journey with full bottles. Changing bottles in Europe is a problem as a different type.
Don't forget the adapters and there are usually 3.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We have Gaslow, manual change over as we can keep an eye on amounts in bottles, filler is the small one and down on the outside, we did originally have it in the locker but most time there’s not enough room to open locker & as stated earlier it can arouse suspicion!
We joined ‘Countrywide’ they have LPG tanks in various place but mostly in the western side of the country. Can be a bit annoying sometimes to have to travel somewhere specifically for gas but not a problem in France!
We’ve had the Gaslow for a long time now but wished we had enough room for an underslung tank! We could do it but would probably have to lose the spare wheel!

OP
OP
John and Jo
Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Have you considered going for an underslung gas tank. It frees up the gas locker for storage.
Did enter my thoughts at one point but kinda assumed would be more expensive and as much as extra space is nice, we're not that short of space. I'm now having a further look though, cheers.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
We have a single Gaslow with a Calor Lite as backup in case we cannot get gas. We have a filler point in the gas locker mounted on the floor. Never had a problem, only once in France madame in the kiosk would not turn on the gas pump till she came over and checked I was not filling the bottle directly but via the separate filler point, apart from that never any issues.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back