Gas Bottles whilst Visiting France & Spain.... (1 Viewer)

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Sorry in advance as I know there’s been a lot of posts on the Forum about gas bottles in Europe, but a lot of the discussions are what can be done in preparation for a trip, whereas I’m afraid we’re away already. ?

It’s our first trip to France and Spain, and we thought we’d got everything sorted and were advised to have a second leisure battery and second 6kg gas bottle fitted (Calor Propane), but we’ve missed a crucial point that we really should have gone for refillable gas canisters..... and we are kicking ourselves now!

So we’ve just cutover onto the second 6kg Calor Propane bottle. We are staying on a mixture of Aires and Sites, and have got as far as Northern Spain and hoping to continue touring around for another week or two, or longer if possible. The gas will be used, for heating and hot water when necessary, and cooking.

[ETA I originally said that we were using gas for the fridge when travelling, but as per Lenny’s reply, that’s incorrect and it runs on 12V when travelling - thanks Lenny!]

Would it be best to find a Motorhome workshop in Southern Spain when we get there, to update the gas setup to allow us to use a locally bought gas bottle? I think when we get home we’ll be getting the refillable gas system installed, so we just need to get fixed up so we can use locally bought gas whilst we’re over here.

Any suggestions gratefully received - and sorry for being such numpties! ?

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We were in exactly your position two years ago (except we don't have a second leisure battery). In Spain it is easy to get a second hand Repsol or Cespa Spanish gas bottle from car boots or several campsites had them for sale. (We paid €10 euros for one). Then buy a Spanish adaptor that will fit your existing pigtail ( from memory about €16 from a gas supply shop, though I can't recall the name of the shop but there are many. Then it's a simple task of taking your Spanish bottle to garage or other gas supplier and swapping it for a full one. Much cheaper than Calor gas in the U.K. Attach the new adaptor and connect to the pigtail. And Bob's your mother's brother!

Upvote 1

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You will only need to change the pigtail to be able to use a Spanish bottle, you can often pick up bottles at the flea markets.
You shouldn't be using the gas to run the fridge when traveling it should be running of 12 volts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Tell everybody on here what you have in way of pigtail from your current Reg.(assuming the Avatar you have is your 'van) to your connection to your propane bottle.
Then we'll be able to get our heads around what you need.

I know you can buy/hire a 6k repsol bottle from their garages.
From the Ferreteria, (Ironmongers, found in every Spanish town) you can buy an 'Adapter' that will sit on top of that bottle. It is just like a Regulator they use in Spain but has no innards to regulate the gas flow.

The only problem I have is working out how to connect your current Reg. fitted to the 'van to the Adaptor. The thread at the side of the Adaptor is a left hand threaded 22mm male that is identical to that found in the UK between the Regulator and a small Butane bottle. Its also the same as used to connect the larger french bottles but I note you are in northern Spain.

It may be that you can obtain a Spanish bottle from a Spanish Rasto (second hand shop) or on the larger sites, they may be be prepared to sell/hire you a larger Spanish bottle but you will still be left with the pigtail problem unless the previously mentioned Ferreteria sells pigtails.

You could also try a Caravan Motorhome dealer in your area.

Sorry I can't be any more help but I'm at the bottom of the Peninsula at the mo.

Good Luck.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Just note that the Spanish bottles are larger than UK bottles and you may find it may not fit your locker if your moving around. OK if you are on one site as you can leave it outside.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
You will only need to change the pigtail to be able to use a Spanish bottle, you can often pick up bottles at the flea markets.
You shouldn't be using the gas to run the fridge when traveling it should be running of 12 volts.

Hi Lenny, Thanks very much for your reply and advice - much appreciated! Sorry that was my mistake - the fridge is indeed running on 12V when we’re travelling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
We were in exactly your position two years ago (except we don't have a second leisure battery). In Spain it is easy to get a second hand Repsol or Cespa Spanish gas bottle from car boots or several campsites had them for sale. (We paid €10 euros for one). Then buy a Spanish adaptor that will fit your existing pigtail ( from memory about €16 from a gas supply shop, though I can't recall the name of the shop but there are many. Then it's a simple task of taking your Spanish bottle to garage or other gas supplier and swapping it for a full one. Much cheaper than Calor gas in the U.K. Attach the new adaptor and connect to the pigtail. And Bob's your mother's brother!

Hi Ingwe! Thanks very much for your reply, that’s reassuring to know that we’re not the first to have this happen! Also thanks for your advice it’s much appreciated and very helpful! ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Hi Emmit! Thanks very much for taking the time to reply to our post, we really appreciate it!

I’ve just taken a photo of the connector on the gas bottle, and also of the installation in the gas cupboard - I hope this provides the extra info.

Also, the gas control system fitted is a “Truma DuoControl CS” system (and also to confirm the photo in our avatar is our Motorhome - it’s a 2017 Hymer MLT57).

Attachments

• BA767CC3-1231-42DC-A16A-BF439CBE7D67.jpeg
    BA767CC3-1231-42DC-A16A-BF439CBE7D67.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 114
  • D611F5A2-3607-44FA-881E-B879ED46CE44.jpeg
    D611F5A2-3607-44FA-881E-B879ED46CE44.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 0
OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Just note that the Spanish bottles are larger than UK bottles and you may find it may not fit your locker if your moving around. OK if you are on one site as you can leave it outside.

Thanks very much Jimbo - I’ve just posted a photo above of our gas locker, but we’ll certainly take your comments into account when looking to buy a Spanish gas bottle, so thanks very much for alerting us ref the size of the bottles! ?

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks for the update.
As I thought, you have a pigtail that is a male left hand thread going into your bottles.

You need to source a bottle in Spain.
That will have an exit point nothing like what you have. It leaves the bottle vertically and is topped with an Adaptor (Adaptador para botella de gas) in Spanish. Here's a photo.

1580500565590.png

You can see that the exit point on the Adapter is the 'other way around to that of your propane. You need a pigtail that bolts ONTO the Adapter not INTO the bottle.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Your gas bottle housing looks big enough for a large Spanish bottle but still check. Obviously you will at best have to take out a small bottle.. If you have a bbq point in your garage or van side you can also feed in from a Spanish bottle thru that. You just need the regulator that emmit posted and the hose with just an open end you can connect to your bbq point. The regulators ar around 10 euros and available in Chinese shops and most diy hardware type shops.

Upvote 0

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
The hose you have is a UK propane one.
A UK butane hose fits the Spanish adaptor, fortunately these are available from the Spanish motorhome supply shops. Though not cheap.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Your gas bottle housing looks big enough for a large Spanish bottle but still check. Obviously you will at best have to take out a small bottle.. If you have a bbq point in your garage or van side you can also feed in from a Spanish bottle thru that. You just need the regulator that emmit posted and the hose with just an open end you can connect to your bbq point. The regulators ar around 10 euros and available in Chinese shops and most diy hardware type shops.
That post by Emmitt was a picture of a connector not a regulator if using your bbq point you should not use without a regulator so you would also need to purchase one.?

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Minor but necessary correction to Jim Jimbohorlicks post.
You don't need a Regulator. You need an Adapter.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
That post by Emmitt was a picture of a connector not a regulator if using your bbq point you should not use without a regulator so you would also need to purchase one.?
Speve
The OP requires a gas bottle from Spain. He requires to somehow connect the gas bottle to his van.
Yes, he could connect via a BBQ (if he has one) BUT (big but) the correct way to do it via an adaptor in his gas locker to his inbuilt Regulator, NOT via a BBQ point, leaving the bottle on the outside of the unit.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Speve's right ( in my humble opinion) There is confusion about adaptors and regulators. The Spanish bottle needs an adaptor not a regulator, that will take a pigtail to the poster's van's bulkhead regulator.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Speve's right ( in my humble opinion) There is confusion about adaptors and regulators. The Spanish bottle needs an adaptor not a regulator, that will take a pigtail to the poster's van's bulkhead regulator.
Have a read of Speves post after having previously read my last post and respectfully reread what you've just posted.
You may wish to make a correction

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Emmit, I think we're saying the same thing. At least that is my reading of the thread. I agree entirely with your post #10. My real point was to address the idea that the answer to the poster's problem was to connect a regulator to the BBQ point.
If I've caused offence I apologise. None intended.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Emmit, I think we're saying the same thing. At least that is my reading of the thread. I agree entirely with your post #10. My real point was to address the idea that the answer to the poster's problem was to connect a regulator to the BBQ point.
If I've caused offence I apologise. None intended.
Evening,
Good grief, offended? Naa.
In the past, I've been offended by experts.:h:. Yours didn't register on the talcum scale.
No worries.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Just how many days has the first bottle lasted and how many more days must the gas last?
The OP might be better getting a second bottle in France on the way back.
I see many supermarkets selling gas there
Mike

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Emmit I totally agree with ?you but Jimbohorlicks said
You just need the regulator that emmit posted and the hose with just an open end you can connect to your bbq point.
I was only pointing out that you had not posted a regulator but a jumbo connector and if connecting said bottle to a bbq point could be disastrous ???

Upvote 0

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Try this company in Spain for refillable system fitting and filling up your present bottles, I think they are on the south coast of Spain but may have contacts all over Spain so maybe give them a call
Or phone +34 616 96 94 96
Good luck Flatpackchicken

new-logo-gasbottle2.jpg

Gasbottle International
Gas Bottle Refills – Propane & Butane
(By appointment)

We supply and refill gas bottles of all nationalities and systems
+34 616 96 94 96
Call Us without compromise!

We operate on Marbella.
Bring your gas bottles to us for converstion, exchange or refill.
Refills preferably in the mornings by appointment.
Marbella pick up point:
36º 30' 14" N 04º 50' 37" W

We can offer our Services in Andalusia (Spain) from Gibraltar to Malaga, including

• San Roque
  • Manilva
  • Marbella
  • Calahonda
  • Torremolinos
  • Estepona
  • Sabinillas
  • Elviria
  • Fuengirola
  • Costa del Sol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Hi everyone, thanks so much for your replies - we really appreciate all of your advice - thanks! ?

We would prefer to connect the new Spanish bottle to the existing gas system and regulator via a new pigtail and adapter suitable for the new Spanish style bottle.

Please can I just check that we've understood correctly what we need to purchase?

Gas Bottle: buy a new Spanish style gas bottle from Repsol (from a garage as per Emmit's Post #4), or buy a used bottle from a site or flea market.

Pigtail: buy a new pigtail - of the UK butane type from a motorhome supplies shop.

Adapter: buy a new adapter (adapter para botella de gas - thanks Emmit!) from an ironmonger, and connect to the new pigtail, which is connected into the inbuilt gas system and regulator in the gas locker.

I hope this is correct but obviously would be grateful to hear of we've missed anything! ?

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Should you decide to extend your travels and get as far as the Algarve, my mate Nigel ( who is English) owns Algarve Motorhome Services and is a Gasit dealer and fitter.
He will come to you, and is only a few km from the small private site we live at.
.......just another option?

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
If it helps you my end fitting looks like the attached pic onto a standard Repsol cylinder.

Attachments

• 20191101_105658.jpg
    20191101_105658.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 0

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
This is a my set up

20200201_144754.jpg

The next photo shows a regulator (which you don't want) the easy way to tell if you have the correct one. Regulators have the pipe pushed on and sealed with a clip. Just to make it more complicated the new adaptors do not have a Red top, but are always connected with a screwed thread.
20200201_145234.jpg

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, it your passing Javea Costa Blanca I will sell you a large full Cepsa propane bottle €23. ? Bob.

Attachments

• 20200201_171525.jpg
    20200201_171525.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 9
Upvote 0
OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Try this company in Spain for refillable system fitting and filling up your present bottles, I think they are on the south coast of Spain but may have contacts all over Spain so maybe give them a call
Or phone +34 616 96 94 96
Good luck Flatpackchicken

new-logo-gasbottle2.jpg

Gasbottle International
Gas Bottle Refills – Propane & Butane
(By appointment)

We supply and refill gas bottles of all nationalities and systems
+34 616 96 94 96
Call Us without compromise!

We operate on Marbella.
Bring your gas bottles to us for converstion, exchange or refill.
Refills preferably in the mornings by appointment.
Marbella pick up point:
36º 30' 14" N 04º 50' 37" W

We can offer our Services in Andalusia (Spain) from Gibraltar to Malaga, including

• San Roque
  • Manilva
  • Marbella
  • Calahonda
  • Torremolinos
  • Estepona
  • Sabinillas
  • Elviria
  • Fuengirola
  • Costa del Sol

Morning Flatpackchicken, sorry for the late reply but thanks very much for your post and the link, that's really helpful. We're further north from Marbella at the moment but planning to head south, so that's good to know we can call in there to get our UK cylinder refilled so we then have the new Spanish bottle and the refilled UK bottle as backup. Thanks again! ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Just how many days has the first bottle lasted and how many more days must the gas last?
The OP might be better getting a second bottle in France on the way back.
I see many supermarkets selling gas there
Mike

Morning Mike, apologies for the late reply to your question. We're not 100% sure how long the second UK 6kg bottle will last it, but we've just had two nights where we've not had hook-up, so that will have eaten into it. So we're pretty sure we'll need to sorry out a new Spanish bottle fitted that we can use and replace as necessary for the remainder of our trip.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back