Gas at Marjal Costa Blanca (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Wondering if anyone on here is currently at this site. Looking for a bottle of gas if anyone is selling or knows where I could get one. I notice there is plenty Repsol garages close by so should be easy enough to get an exchange.

Also need to get the jumbo connector for it, any hardware or camping shops close by?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The adaptor will be the hardest thing to get, hence why I mentioned camping shops in past post.
In all the hardware, chinese and garages I have visited they always sell the standard regulator bit the 35mm adapator is harder to find.

When I see people post about this from UK I always advise buy the adaptor here before they leave..
Good luck with the search,,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Last edited:
OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
The adaptor will be the hardest thing to get, hence why I mentioned camping shops in past post.
In all the hardware, chinese and garages I have visited they always sell the standard regulator bit the 35mm adapator is harder to find.

When I see people post about this from UK I always advise buy the adaptor here before they leave..
Good luck with the search,,
Cheers, I knew I was going to need gas but didn't realise I'd need it that quickly. First time using the fridge on gas so it's obviously burning through more than I expected.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Also I read somewhere about a few places that will fill different kinds of bottles including uk calor. Anyone any experience of this?

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We are at the sister site, Marjal Guadamar a fair few miles away but are moving on in the morning

Is there not a notice board at reception where people put items for sale on?

It might be worth considering popping back up the road to Benidorm to locate the man who sells the empty bottles as suggested on your other thread?

Something else to consider regarding connecting the bottle is whether you need a regulator or an adaptor. This will be determined if your MH has an on board regulator or not.

download.jpeg

If you have, then you will need an adaptor and a hose to connect it to your regulator. You can see the hose coloured red( but not always) in the image above.

If your POL connector that screws into your Calor bottle has a regulator with it like the image below, then you will need a regulator for your Spanish gas bottle.
images (1).jpeg

Regulators for Spanish gas bottles can be bought at Chinese bazaars, hardware shops ( ferrerteria) and camper stores.

I have never seen an adaptor in the Chinese bazaars so you would need to try the other places

Hope this helps rather than confuses.

EDIT you are are long way away but might be worth looking at this site for a refill

http://gasbottlerefill.com

Barry

Last edited:
OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
@namwaldog

You are confusing me but only because it's been a long day and I'm a few JD's and cokes down.

My vans an old girl so no on board regulator, just the one that fits straight on to the bottle like so....

116qh43.jpg

kb7yok.jpg

If I get a Spanish bottle do I just need this 'jumbo' connector that someone mentioned on the other thread? Or will I need a whole new regulator?

I did think about going back up to Benidorm and it is still on the cards if I need to. I checked the boards here and there is no one selling a bottle and I missed the Sunday sale earlier where I expect there might have been one for sale.

I did bump in to some English guy earlier who sounds like he knows his way about this place, he told me his plot number (I can't remember it but I think he said he has a blue van so I'll cycle around until I find him) :LOL:

I was parked up at Carabassi the last few days but decided to find an aire when I ran out of gas and needed a charge but they were all full, I must have tried 7 and only one had a space but not for over 6m. So phoned Marjal and they said the only space they had was here so I headed over.

Deleted User
You need a Spanish bottle top regulator, easily available at Ferreterias and some Chinese Bazaars,just connect to your pipe with a hose clip.

It is always worth trying at a Repsol or a Galp fuel station to ask if you can buy a bottle, not all are as fussy as maybe they should be about contracts etc.

I recently swapped a Portuguese Repsol bottle for a Spanish Galp at a garage in Ayamonte, €12.82 in Spain, around €23/24 in Portugal.

If you intend venturing into inland Spain in the next few months my advice would be to get a Propane bottle, the regulators are the same.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Looks like you need a Regulator, bought locally from Hardwear Shop or petrol station, these should be fairly easy to get. Just a thought, but does your campsite do cylinder rental?

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Put a wanted ad up on the notice boards in the toilet blocks or wander round the site. That site is huge, must be someone on there got a bottle to sell. They used to have boot sales there also in the main carpark. The adapter or regulator you can get from a hardware shop.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Have you thought of trying a scrap metal recycler or a community tip in uk tips they always have old gas bottles - but this time of year in spain probably very few available lot of people parked up for the winter - march/april always see them dumped

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
. Lists it as being used for welding equipment, so just in case you pass anywhere that may look like that supply that stuff.
Yes one of the main uses , oxy-propane welding/cutting. saves having a contract for an acetylene bottle + bottle cost.
Available in any ferreteria around here .
Also I read somewhere about a few places that will fill different kinds of bottles including uk calor. Anyone any experience of this?
Yes there are places about .I know of one in Águilas.

If I get a Spanish bottle do I just need this 'jumbo' connector that someone mentioned on the other thread? Or will I need a whole new regulator?
If yo are getting a spanish bottle & have no onboard regulator then an ordinary spanish flip-over regulator will do the job correctly.

http://comgas.es/gb/taps-and-regulators/94-regulador-presion-de-salida-28-30-mbar.html

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Looks like you need a Regulator, bought locally from Hardwear Shop or petrol station, these should be fairly easy to get. Just a thought, but does your campsite do cylinder rental?

They do but only for on site use. You give it back to them when you leave.

I'll take a cycle up to the repsols later on.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If your van is older and has no bulkhead regulator then a Spanish regulator will do the job.
Bulkhead fitted regulators have been on every van I have had since I started in 2000 so that's almost 20 years and I guess we forget there could be older or self build vans....

Better check and confirm what you are using on the top of your current gas bottle regulator or adaptor. (y)

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Wondering if anyone on here is currently at this site. Looking for a bottle of gas if anyone is selling or knows where I could get one. I notice there is plenty Repsol garages close by so should be easy enough to get an exchange.

Also need to get the jumbo connector for it, any hardware or camping shops close by?
I'm getting a propane cylinder delivered today (full) €18 total by repsol man.If I find a a place to get the jumbo con version I will post the address.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I popped down to the shop and bought the flip top regulator and a length of butane hose. If I can finally get my washing on I can go down to the town and have a look around their garages and see if I can find a bottle.

Been round all the toilet blocks here where people put up stuff for sale, plenty of tv's, caravans and a German couple looking for someone to slaughter goats on their farm back home but no bottles for sale.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
On a side note the new (I think they are new) chalet development is really nice and the outdoor pool is the best I have seen. Don't think it's open though.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I popped down to the shop and bought the flip top regulator and a length of butane hose. If I can finally get my washing on I can go down to the town and have a look around their garages and see if I can find a bottle.

Been round all the toilet blocks here where people put up stuff for sale, plenty of tv's, caravans and a German couple looking for someone to slaughter goats on their farm back home but no bottles for sale.

Have a look in charity shops, not been down that way for a few years but we cycled from Camping Marjal to a rastro I think was the other side of catral, but they did start having rastro / car boot markets at camping markets don't know if they still do. :D2
Or if you have had a recent gas check certificate you can just take a contract out with Repsol or Cepsa and your sorted. (y) Bob.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Well I took a cycle on to Catral today and stopped for burger and chips. Asked the lady running the place if she knew of any charity shops as I was looking for a gas bottle and she remembered seeing someone selling some on the towns facebook page.

I got the sellers number and I am meeting her later to buy it off her.

Will only certain garages exchange it depending on what type it is? I did have the photo she put up but can't seem to find it any more.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
@monzer , Well Done
Regarding swapping like for like, remember we are in Spain !!

If you get the chance, go for propane, (propano) especially if you are spending any time away from sea level in the winter months.

I remember being at Cabopino site just N. of Marbella and running out of Repsol Propane. There was a Shell
filling station just outside the gates and I had a wander down and noticed they had empty Repsol propane bottles same as mine in their cages so asked if I could buy a refill. " No problemo " but they only had cepsa propano and as I was keen to stay with Repsol, I declined.

I am now trying to imagine how you are going to transport an empty 12 kg cylinder whilst riding your bike.
Dash can footage would be appreciated. Good Luck.
Barry

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
In all honesty we all get caught with problems and i am sure OP will regret not making life easy and getting refillable system what it costs now non refillable and ending up probably dumping - could of come off refillable system cost - and he would of been able to just top up as req'd - and we all learn by mistakes

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
@namwaldog I've checked out the address and it's not too far but I will take the van down to pick it up, stop at the garage on the way back to try and exchange then head back to camp to fit up the new hose and regulator.

@mfw No big deal, like I say I was expecting it, just not this soon. To be honest it has given me something to do.

Going to stay an extra night here as I fancy trying the cycle route down in to Crevillente.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Might be worth getting some new jubilee clips and/or some WD40 as likely or not the existing ones might be a bit stubborn. Chinese shops should have both.(y)(y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Going to stay an extra night here as I fancy trying the cycle route down in to Crevillente.
You can spend a day just perusing the chinese wholesalers on the industrial estate. Dozens of them selling everything that you can see at the weekly markets. Apart from a Moroccan one on the front road all the others are chinese.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Well I went round, turns out it's her dads 2nd hand shop. He had a few bottles there but he gave me this one for 15E.

55ih4n.jpg

Went up the road to the first garage and the guy came out, had a look at my bottle and said no, sorry. Went further up to a bigger garage and he said the same.

Why does no one like my bottle? I see a lot of the bottles in the garages seem to be fancier, maybe aluminium? Have they changed bottles and are now phasing these ones out? I hope some garage somewhere will exchange mine!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
are you going to garages selling repsol gas or is it cepsa garages you are going to.
cepsa are usually the shiny bottles .

Deleted User
Well I went round, turns out it's her dads 2nd hand shop. He had a few bottles there but he gave me this one for 15E.

55ih4n.jpg

Went up the road to the first garage and the guy came out, had a look at my bottle and said no, sorry. Went further up to a bigger garage and he said the same.

Why does no one like my bottle? I see a lot of the bottles in the garages seem to be fancier, maybe aluminium? Have they changed bottles and are now phasing these ones out? I hope some garage somewhere will exchange mine!
What does the top look like, Spanish bottles have 2 handles, Portuguese are enclosed most of the way round like UK bottles, can't think of any other reason that they would not exchange.

Presume that they were Repsol fuel stations.

They will normally exchange butane bottles for propane.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back