Garmin camper 890

Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Does anyone know when in use can it powered via a USB port into the micro power and data port on the side so avoiding using the mount which the power cable goes into.Without the mount I can fit it into the dash tablet holder

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Can't say for certain on the Garmin but doing the same setup with a Tomtom can have issues because the USB power output is probably only 0.5A whereas the supplied Cig charger is likely to be nearer 1.5A or more. The effect of this lower USB output is that the Tomtom units are not getting enough power to run the units and charge the battery at the same time and on long journeys the units can eventually stop working. Try your unit when it is fairly low on battery and see if it works okay on a longish journey.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The other issue depends if this latest Garmin still uses its power cable as an RDS antenna for traffic information.

You may be able to use an App on your phone to link traffic information via bluetooth instead.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
If you have the 890 LMT-D I believe that live traffic updates are only available via the smartapp so you should be able to use the supplied power lead directly to the device instead of to the mount. If you wish to use just a USB lead then you will need to make sure that is is providing sufficient power. My 770 won't run & charge in the USB port in my car. It will charge if it is turned off but the USB port in the dash doesn't provide sufficient power when it is running, so after about an hour it shuts down due to low battery. I fitted a 12V to USB charger, 3A output, under the dash in the MoHo and that works like a charm.

OP
D
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
If you have the 890 LMT-D I believe that live traffic updates are only available via the smartapp so you should be able to use the supplied power lead directly to the device instead of to the mount. If you wish to use just a USB lead then you will need to make sure that is is providing sufficient power. My 770 won't run & charge in the USB port in my car. It will charge if it is turned off but the USB port in the dash doesn't provide sufficient power when it is running, so after about an hour it shuts down due to low battery. I fitted a 12V to USB charger, 3A output, under the dash in the MoHo and that works like a charm.
So if I plug a USB adapter into the cigarette socket would that do the same job.

Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
As far as I can recall the 890 comes with a cigarette socket lead which plugs into the mount. That lead should have the same USB plug type that can go into either the mount or directly into the 890 itself. Therefore you should be able to use the supplied one with the 890 directly. If the plug types are not the same then you should be able to use a cigarette lighter/USB adapter as long as it provides, if memory serves correct, at least 1.5 A.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
D
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you one and all for your help.The usb connections for the mount and device are different and the traffic information is obtained via an app on a smart phone so I think I'll go down the upgrade usb in the cigarette lighter and see what happens.If garmin support gets back to me with any other ideas I'll update on here for members info.

Rhino Installs
Passionate about energy
West Country Motorhomes
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians