Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Does anyone know when in use can it powered via a USB port into the micro power and data port on the side so avoiding using the mount which the power cable goes into.Without the mount I can fit it into the dash tablet holder

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Can't say for certain on the Garmin but doing the same setup with a Tomtom can have issues because the USB power output is probably only 0.5A whereas the supplied Cig charger is likely to be nearer 1.5A or more. The effect of this lower USB output is that the Tomtom units are not getting enough power to run the units and charge the battery at the same time and on long journeys the units can eventually stop working. Try your unit when it is fairly low on battery and see if it works okay on a longish journey.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The other issue depends if this latest Garmin still uses its power cable as an RDS antenna for traffic information.

You may be able to use an App on your phone to link traffic information via bluetooth instead.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
If you have the 890 LMT-D I believe that live traffic updates are only available via the smartapp so you should be able to use the supplied power lead directly to the device instead of to the mount. If you wish to use just a USB lead then you will need to make sure that is is providing sufficient power. My 770 won't run & charge in the USB port in my car. It will charge if it is turned off but the USB port in the dash doesn't provide sufficient power when it is running, so after about an hour it shuts down due to low battery. I fitted a 12V to USB charger, 3A output, under the dash in the MoHo and that works like a charm.

OP
OP
D

Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
If you have the 890 LMT-D I believe that live traffic updates are only available via the smartapp so you should be able to use the supplied power lead directly to the device instead of to the mount. If you wish to use just a USB lead then you will need to make sure that is is providing sufficient power. My 770 won't run & charge in the USB port in my car. It will charge if it is turned off but the USB port in the dash doesn't provide sufficient power when it is running, so after about an hour it shuts down due to low battery. I fitted a 12V to USB charger, 3A output, under the dash in the MoHo and that works like a charm.
So if I plug a USB adapter into the cigarette socket would that do the same job.

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
As far as I can recall the 890 comes with a cigarette socket lead which plugs into the mount. That lead should have the same USB plug type that can go into either the mount or directly into the 890 itself. Therefore you should be able to use the supplied one with the 890 directly. If the plug types are not the same then you should be able to use a cigarette lighter/USB adapter as long as it provides, if memory serves correct, at least 1.5 A.

OP
OP
D

Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you one and all for your help.The usb connections for the mount and device are different and the traffic information is obtained via an app on a smart phone so I think I'll go down the upgrade usb in the cigarette lighter and see what happens.If garmin support gets back to me with any other ideas I'll update on here for members info.

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Thank you one and all for your help.The usb connections for the mount and device are different and the traffic information is obtained via an app on a smart phone so I think I'll go down the upgrade usb in the cigarette lighter and see what happens.If garmin support gets back to me with any other ideas I'll update on here for members info.

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Hi, we have a Camper 890 and want to do the same as you. We have found that our standard USB output is enough to keep the device charged while navigating, even without using the cigarette lighter output, but there seems to be a software issue. The device’s software thinks that because the device is not plugged into the mount’s USB port, it can’t be getting enough power, and so it shuts down after a set period of time. On the settings, we’ve managed to change this to 30 minutes, but can’t switch it off entirely.

Did you make any progress with this?

OP
OP
D

Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
It seems that the unit needs to be connected via the cigarette point into the base to operate fully using the drive app.I have put a square of perspex into the tablet holder closed the tablet holder and that provides a flat service for the mount.Have spoken to Garmin about hard wiring it.They advised against this saying it may impair operation and consequently don't produce any kit for this.Hope this helps.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
For a £400 unit not to have traffic information without being tethered to a mobile phone is a bit naff to say the least.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
For a £400 unit not to have traffic information without being tethered to a mobile phone is a bit naff to say the least.
I find 'Traffic Information' more of a hindrance than help.

Frequently out of date, even Google Maps shows slow moving traffic where I live, when there is no traffic and there hasn't been for days.

As a result I disable any such 'feature'.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner

Frequently out of date, even Google Maps shows slow moving traffic where I live, when there is no traffic and there hasn't been for days.

When the 'must have' becomes the 'don't use' ... :unsure:

Steve

OP
OP
D

Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Calm down everyone it's just a sat nav

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome

The you haven't used Tom-tom's traffic information which is normally spot on with remarkably accurate journey times. Probably the best feature and why the built in SIMs are so important as TomTom uses anonymous measurements from GPS navigation devices, smartphones, commercial fleets and sensor data for its traffic information.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
sorry to resurrect this thread but i have a question for you lot

does anyone have a link to a usb power cable for my 890, i'm trying to find an angled (down) micro usb to usb about 50cm long. The supplied by Garmin cable works fine but it comes straight out of the unit rather than being angled down

Any help would be really appreciated

Al
D8905534-3546-4AB6-85AD-C53DCA8B8B9B.jpeg

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
If it is just a USB power cable then there are loads on places like eBay, buy a decent quality one as some of the cheapos aren't worth even the cheap price. Just search for USB to Micro USB cable 90. Don't know the 890 so not sure if the Garmin USB cable has the Traffic aerial built in to it or not.
If so you could try a Micro USB to Micro USB 90 adapter, a few on eBay too. Just one thing to double check, is it definitely a Micro USB? I know all previous models used Mini USB.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
yup it’s a micro usb on the newer models, or it is on the 890

i’ve searched and could only find cables that either angled up or were too long or as you say looked really cheap and nasty 👍

Feb 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
McLouis Steel
Exp
20 years
So the "cigarette lighter " plug for the 890 is not USB, it's 8-30V output. This feeds the mag mount, and is therefore pretty straight forward to hardwire in.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
So the "cigarette lighter " plug for the 890 is not USB, it's 8-30V output. This feeds the mag mount, and is therefore pretty straight forward to hardwire in.
Yup

I managed to speak to someone with a brain who told me the same, the unit is designed to be used with the mag mount only but they don't want to tell you that bit, silly really as all the others can just be usb powered like i've been used to doing. Luckily the Fiat dash top lends itself to using the supplied flat baseplate though or you'd be scuppered if you couldn't mount the mag mount

Al (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back