Fuel supplements (1 Viewer)

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Do any of the funsters use any of the diesel supplements (redex/forte etc ) with any noticeable benefits ?

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Recently listened to the Radio 4 podcast ‘Best Thing since Sliced Bread’. Their verdict on premium fuels was that it made less than 1% difference in fuel economy if any at all. They may make a difference to clogging up of injectors but no hard evidence was presented. In the end the ‘expert’ (I assume from the fuel industry!) conceded that a tank full of premium every now and then would probably give the same results!!

On the subject of stand alone additives it more or less said if it makes you feel better then why not.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jewellbags
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Every time I fill up at Costco when out away with the Van I feel a noticeable difference especially coming home to the west highlands. A lot smother and perceived economy. Costco only sell high grade derv. 🥹🌟
I had also heard that from a friend that runs a local garage - he agrees that Costco fuel is far better

Upvote 1

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Our 05 Mondeo failed MOT on emissions a few years ago, I put, probably two bottles of additive in it a year now (I.e. not every time the tank is filled) and it's not failed since.

Cheers
Red.

Upvote 0

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Millers increases the cetane content, makes the engine a bit quieter and smoother, or you can just use premium diesel to get the same effect.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Do any of the funsters use any of the diesel supplements (redex/forte etc ) with any noticeable benefits ?
I would suggest before using Any fuel supplements to check your owners handbook ..

they are not recommend for my petrol engined Skoda ..

CAUTION
Petrol additives (additives)
■ The unleaded petrol in accordance with the prescribed standards meets all the conditions for a smooth running engine. Therefore, we recommend that you do not add any fuel additives to the petrol - there is a risk of engine dam- age or damage to the exhaust system.
■ The following additives and auxiliary products may not be used - there is a risk of engine damage or damage to the exhaust system!
■ Additives with metal components (metallic additives), in particular with manganese and iron content.
■ Fuels with metallic content (e.g. LRP - lead replacement petrol).

For my diesel engine van, I occasionally fill up with premium diesel which has additives to clean the injectors and fuel system ..

Brand makes no difference.. be it Tesco's, Shell , Esso or whoever .. they fill up with the same diesel and have the same additives added for premium ..

I was employed by a Shell Refinery for several years as an instrument technician and calibrated flow meters where the tankers from all companies filled up from the same bowser.. .. Texaco, BP Tesco etc..

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
I thought all fuel came from the same refinery carried by the same tankers ?
No.... There are still a number of UK refineries as well as imported fuel feeding the UK market - so not the same refinery.....
All fuel on the UK has to meet a BS Standard as a minimum. Each fuel company or supplier then adds additives to meet their own company standards. These are either injected into the base fuel at the refinery or if the fuel is distributed from a regional bulk storage terminal, at the point of loading into the road tankers.
During my time working in fuel storage and distribution for a major British Petroleum company, we went from a time with no additives to one involving complex mixes for the high grade fuels. Some supermarkets either required low or no additives in their fuel - likely to be down to cost.

Upvote 1
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Our 05 Mondeo failed MOT on emissions a few years ago, I put, probably two bottles of additive in it a year now (I.e. not every time the tank is filled) and it's not failed since.

Cheers
Red.

Just before an MOT I used to find a few miles of M/way or dual carriageway and get up to 50-60mph and drop the vehicle into 3rd gear for a mile or so. This seemed to ensure crud was blown out. Now no 'MOT' needed as registered as Vintage here in Poland.

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I thought all fuel came from the same refinery carried by the same tankers ?
You aren't far off the mark but additives added to tankers will be different between brands as they are loaded.

I have also worked with a UK company adding Luminescent markers to commercial shipping fuel oils too - so vessels can prove they have Low Sulphur fuel - something only implemented a couple of years ago!!!! Keep in mind one container ship from Hong Kong to UK produces the same emissions as 50,000 cars!!!! Why the hell weren't ships made to use cleaner fuels first!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I use Millers Eco additive in each tank and Liqui Moly diesel purge to clean injectors every 6 months. This is in my Ducato which has injector variances outside Fiat limmits. I do not have any data to show any improvement or otherwise (are my injectors values so bad that a simple clean is no good and a replacement is required). On my Skoda VW 1.6 CAYC engine just one clean showed a significant improvement in injector variances to well bellow VW limmits +-1 80,000 miles (half of Fiat limmits).
injector variation pre-post-clean.jpg

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Italian Tune-up once every trip and just before MoT. And most importantly use it regularly.

I once did a close check on fuel consumption using premium fuel against standard. I got improved consumption but only in proportion to the increased cost.

My view on additives is that you get an extra 500cc of fuel so it's bound to appear beneficial!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jewellbags
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Italian Tune-up once every trip and just before MoT. And most importantly use it regularly.

I once did a close check on fuel consumption using premium fuel against standard. I got improved consumption but only in proportion to the increased cost.

My view on additives is that you get an extra 500cc of fuel so it's bound to appear beneficial!
What’s an Italian tune up ?

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It got me curious. I know there are only a few refineries in the UK but I didn't know how many or who owned them

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_refining_in_the_United_Kingdom
1711095113295.png

From this we can easily see that no fuel company produces their own fuel for their own personal use. By this I mean there are no BP refineries supplying just BP garages and no Shell refineries supplying just Shell garages.
The refineries appear to be geographically dispersed and my guess would be they supply ALL garages in their area including supermarkets and independents along side the big boys.

I suspect based on this that there is no difference in the base fuel. And the only difference will be with the premium fuels where the additive may vary in some small ways between say BP and Shell premium fuels.

I found the above interesting so am sharing on that basis. I have no industry knowledge though.

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
I try to use premium derv every second tank. If not, I pour half a bottle of Redex into the tank. I don't know if it makes a difference, I just think it might do.

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Van, diesel, I add a bottle of a Wynn's additive at ever tank fill.

I use either;

A DPF cleaner.
An injectors cleaner.

Or a Complete System cleaner

Depends what is on offer!

Especially with the DPF cleaner, although they all seem to have some effect, less issues with power fade especially on hills.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Be mindful..... not all fuel treatments are DPF compatible

Don’t use a diesel fuel additive or injector cleaner unless it is DPF-compatible. There is an increased risk of the DPF clogging by putting a poor-quality fuel treatment in a vehicle’s diesel fuel system. If the product isn’t DPF compatible, it’s creating a bigger problem! Unfortunately, some drivers have fallen into the trap of purchasing an injector cleaner off the shelf from the local auto parts store, without checking to see if the product is DPF compatible.

Some products contain substances that do not burn cleanly and actually increase the long-term issue of ash build up in the exhaust areas, clogging the Diesel Particulate Filter. These particles cannot be fully burned off by the DPF Regeneration cycle. Unfortunately, running a fuel cleaner through the engine might seem to be the right thing to do, but in many cases, this is just creating bigger problems. If the product is NOT DPF compatible, don’t use it in your diesel fuel.

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
It got me curious. I know there are only a few refineries in the UK but I didn't know how many or who owned them

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_refining_in_the_United_Kingdom
View attachment 878155

From this we can easily see that no fuel company produces their own fuel for their own personal use. By this I mean there are no BP refineries supplying just BP garages and no Shell refineries supplying just Shell garages.
The refineries appear to be geographically dispersed and my guess would be they supply ALL garages in their area including supermarkets and independents along side the big boys.

I suspect based on this that there is no difference in the base fuel. And the only difference will be with the premium fuels where the additive may vary in some small ways between say BP and Shell premium fuels.

I found the above interesting so am sharing on that basis. I have no industry knowledge though.
We supply measurement equipment to most refineries in UK and Europe.
They have huge bunkers of fuel and strategic ones for shipping.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
We supply measurement equipment to most refineries in UK and Europe.
They have huge bunkers of fuel and strategic ones for shipping.
But no separate tanks for BP, Shell etc was my point???

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The family garage that did all our servicing and MOT's until Covid forced their hand to retire, was very keen on Forté treatments, especially prior to an exhaust gas analyser test ?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back