Fuel supplements (1 Viewer)

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Do any of the funsters use any of the diesel supplements (redex/forte etc ) with any noticeable benefits ?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Go for a spin to warm up and then blast the living c##p out of the engine…Mamma Mia!
Ermm yes! Get the engine fully warmed up first then cruise for around 20 mins but in a lower gear so that the revs are a good bit higher. The idea is to get the engine hotter and either force the EDF regeneration or burn off all the accumulated carbon etc if it doesn't have that function.

I usually manage it climbing a long hill in a lower gear.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
But no separate tanks for BP, Shell etc was my point???
That was my point in #15 - all fuel sold in the UK regardless of wether it was refined in the UK or overseas, must meet a British Standard. So can be held in common tanks at the refinery or imported in the same ship, as at this stage it is the same product..
The additives (not the best description as it it really the extra ingredients like octane/cetane boosters and engine cleaning ingredients) are then added, either at the UK refinery or the point of loading into the road tankers, to make that base fuel into whatever standard BP, Shell, Esso or a supermarket etc need for their own brand. Not just for the super grade fuels but for every grade.
You will see tankers from many different oil companies coming out of our refineries, they have all loaded the refinery UK standard base fuel, which has been changed to meet that tankers oil company requirements during the loading process.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I put a tank of premium diesel every ‘few’ tanks and I have to say, I definitely perceive a minor increase in performance, only just perceptible, but definitely there!

Upvote 0

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
Dave Newell did a test in 2023 and if my memory is correct deduced that the economy improvements about balanced its cost. Hence not to bother.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2017
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
I thought all fuel came from the same refinery carried by the same tankers ?
Yes they all come from multiple refinery’s but the additives that are added before they leave are different depending on which manufacturer is selected at the additive stage

Upvote 0
May 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
LWB Sprinter
I used to get the Sprinter hiccups, clouds of smoke, loss of power.
I got some DIPETANE. It's a fuel lubricant, 20ml to 10 litres.
Power restored, no smoke, increased economy.
I would whole heartedly recommend it. I now get 32 to 36mpg and very smooth running engine.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2023
Walsall, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 522 Van
Exp
Since 2021
Do any of the funsters use any of the diesel supplements (redex/forte etc ) with any noticeable benefits ?
I use dpd-100. Helps keeps injectors in good shape. Uses lot less than other brands and cheaper than filling up with premium fuels.

Screenshot_20240324_132629_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Upvote 0
Jul 3, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato MWB, DIY :-)
Exp
10 years campervanning, 60+ camping
As an allied point, a few years ago I ran a 1.9TDI VW on rough bio-diesel, brewed up by a local back street place.
After a while the engine seemed to run much smoother. I believe it had a ) better lubricity, and b) stripped off a 150K mile's worth of lacquer build-up in the pump, injectors, and tank.
This definitely carried on after I stopped using it (as I moved jobs away from the source), as I got fuel starvation from clogged filter 3 months after a switched back to dino diesel...

Whilst the latest injection systems and dpf's won't like that fuel, I'm a believer that fuel additives can definitely clean out your system and even perhaps restore OE tolerances.

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Every time I fill up at Costco when out away with the Van I feel a noticeable difference especially coming home to the west highlands. A lot smother and perceived economy. Costco only sell high grade derv. 🥹🌟
see below
I had also heard that from a friend that runs a local garage - he agrees that Costco fuel is far better
I agree too. When I fill my van or motorhome at Costco, I can tell the difference after about 1/2 tank.

I cant in my Car, Range Rover 4.4 V8 Diesel

But, I have been using Repsol Premium in my Spanish Audi. What I notice with that is virtually no smelly exhaust fumes.

I thought all fuel came from the same refinery carried by the same tankers ?

It does. But Costco only sell premium Diesel alongside standard and premium petrol

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
Be mindful..... not all fuel treatments are DPF compatible

Don’t use a diesel fuel additive or injector cleaner unless it is DPF-compatible. There is an increased risk of the DPF clogging by putting a poor-quality fuel treatment in a vehicle’s diesel fuel system. If the product isn’t DPF compatible, it’s creating a bigger problem! Unfortunately, some drivers have fallen into the trap of purchasing an injector cleaner off the shelf from the local auto parts store, without checking to see if the product is DPF compatible.

Some products contain substances that do not burn cleanly and actually increase the long-term issue of ash build up in the exhaust areas, clogging the Diesel Particulate Filter. These particles cannot be fully burned off by the DPF Regeneration cycle. Unfortunately, running a fuel cleaner through the engine might seem to be the right thing to do, but in many cases, this is just creating bigger problems. If the product is NOT DPF compatible, don’t use it in your diesel fuel.

A few years back we had a 2012 Ducato and, before starting a 4000 km trip around Spain and Portugal, thought it was a good time to use a cleaner over an extended run. I tried a bottle of Wynn's which I think it suggested using every 6 full tanks. About half-way round our trip, in the middle of nowhere in Spain, I had a dash message I had never seen before saying there was a problem with the catalytic converter. Mildly panicked I turned the ignition off and back on and it disappeared; never to be seen again! That is the only time I have ever used a cleaner and it will also be the last.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
There are 2 types of uses for additives routine use maybe with cetane improvers and routine cleaning or one shot cleaners. alternative uses include improveing DPF regeneration. Not all uses will improve performance or mpg maybe cleaner longer running no obvious quantafiable effect. Bellow graph was 1 clean of Liqui moly diesel purge. It works, whether it works as well on low mileage as my old skoda

injector variation pre-post-clean.jpg

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
The only fuel additives I have ever used were in the boat to counteract Diesel Bug. Even then it didn't really work and had on one occasion have both tanks emptied and 800ltrs of diesel washed and tanks steam cleaned. I still have Diesel bug nightmares to this day and the boat went 3 years ago!

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
I took my wife's Suzuki Cappuccino for it's MOT a few years ago and the tester, who I get on well with as I like to do my own repairs, came out to where I was waiting. He said the car was failing on the emissions but suggested that if I added a fuel additive it would pass. I went with him to the MOT bay where he pointed out the emissions figures on the machine. We added a tin of Wurth petrol additive. Within minutes the figures dropped until it passed. It really does work in minutes.

As you might expect I fully believe it's beneficial to use additives. I use a tin of it about a few days before the MOT in both our cars and one about six months later. It's on my kitchen calendar to remind me as I would forget otherwise. I use a diesel additive in my Peugeot Boxer.

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2017
Funster No
There's a company out there called POWER ENHANCER..... www.powerenhancer.co.uk... TECH SUPPORT 01953 455683, ask to speak to a gentleman called ANDY, he's very help full and very knowledgeable gent on all FUEL ADDITIVES OILS ETC.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2011
West sussex
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E460
Exp
15 years
My 2.3 Ltr ducato smokes so I’m using diesel Redex, still smokes on the over run. Going to try a different one on next fill up. Struggled with emission test on the mot.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
I have extensively tested My Ducati S4 916 Monster with Gasohol 10% 95 fuel and pure zero gasohol Benzine 95 in Thailand ,,, the results are interesting

On 1 gallon of each fuel the bike can go 40 miles on Gasohol 95 octane but 45 miles on Benzine 95 Octane so at least 10% better mileage on real benzine Petrol that is first benefit

Next on the dyno the bike gets 10% more power on pure Benzine petrol and loses 10% power on Gasohol 10% thats clear

last benfit of pure Banzine 95 Gasoline over Gasohol crap is the injectors , manifolds are clean but with gasohol they gum up

For my bikes in Uk I only use esso, BP 98/99 5% gasohol and add when bikes are stored I empty the tanks so gasohol does not clog the carbs or injectors and water separation does not rust the tanks

Its clear to me that ethanol/gasohol fuel is bad for many reasons ,, it also makes plastic fuel tanks swell as well , damages fuel systems , causes loss of power and lower fuel mileage ,, its another green con

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
Now ours has reached 40,000 a bottle of Cataclean will go in once a year.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better

Archoil​

I use this product from time to time as it seems to prevent the turbo waste gate sticking issue which can push us into limp mode or light the ‘money’light on the dash(aka the engine management light)
Seems to work, so I give it a go every now and again

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold

Archoil​

I use this product from time to time as it seems to prevent the turbo waste gate sticking issue which can push us into limp mode or light the ‘money’light on the dash(aka the engine management light)
Seems to work, so I give it a go every now and again
which Archoil product there are several additives ?

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2011
West sussex
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E460
Exp
15 years
I used to get the Sprinter hiccups, clouds of smoke, loss of power.
I got some DIPETANE. It's a fuel lubricant, 20ml to 10 litres.
Power restored, no smoke, increased economy.
I would whole heartedly recommend it. I now get 32 to 36mpg and very smooth running engine.
Can this be purchased in Halfords? and how often do you use it?

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2011
West sussex
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E460
Exp
15 years
I took my wife's Suzuki Cappuccino for it's MOT a few years ago and the tester, who I get on well with as I like to do my own repairs, came out to where I was waiting. He said the car was failing on the emissions but suggested that if I added a fuel additive it would pass. I went with him to the MOT bay where he pointed out the emissions figures on the machine. We added a tin of Wurth petrol additive. Within minutes the figures dropped until it passed. It really does work in minutes.

As you might expect I fully believe it's beneficial to use additives. I use a tin of it about a few days before the MOT in both our cars and one about six months later. It's on my kitchen calendar to remind me as I would forget otherwise. I use a diesel additive in my Peugeot Boxer.
Would you expect same results for a diesel engine as mine had difficulty with the mot emission
and does smoke on the over run. At the moment I’m using Redex but it still has that puff of sooty smoke.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
Would you expect same results for a diesel engine as mine had difficulty with the mot emission
and does smoke on the over run. At the moment I’m using Redex but it still has that puff of sooty smoke.
I put diesel additive in my Boxer but cannot vouch for how effective it is. I have seen evidence that the petrol additive works in my wife's car so I hope that the diesel additive is also beneficial. For the low cost it's worth a try. Not had any emissions problems with my Boxer on the MOT so far, nor noticed any black smoke.

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2017
Funster No
HIII... Speak to Andy from POWER ENHANCER... he will advise you on all products ARCHOIL.. OILSIN.. recommend giving him a call on 01953 455683

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2017
Funster No
HIII... Just a quiky, been using ARCHOIL on my diesel vehicles for a couple of years now brilliant product, there's also another product called OILSYN it's got all the latest products in it... iv'e all ways used the company POWER ENHANCER... now the best part the got a EASTER25 promotion on 25% discount....

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2017
Funster No
HIII... Contact POWER ENHANCER ... ASK FOR ANDY on 01953 455683 they sell all ARCHOIL and OILSYN products... there's a EASTER PROMOTION ON code EASTER25 discount 25% hope this helps... ALLAN.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better

Archoil AR6400-D MAX Pro DPF Cleaner Diesel Fuel System, Diesel Injector Cleaner, Turbo, CAT Cleaner Concentrate - High Strength Carbon Removal & Exhaust Emissions Reduction for MOT Pass (400ml)I have used this when Ive had a turbo waste gate issue and prior to MOT. Seems to work. Available from Amazon​

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back