Fridge/electrics advice opinions (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 28, 2020
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola S687SP
Exp
Well sadly it seems our thetford 3 way fridge is going to need replacing (PCB dying and now obsolete) We are now considering what to do regarding replacement
1-how do we get the old one it as itā€™s too wide to fit through the door and also new fridge in ? šŸ˜¬
2-do we just go like for like with a new 3 way (canā€™t believe how much they are !!!)
3- do we replace with a compressor fridge - that will also mean upgrading current electrics in our 2006 Adria, as we currently do not have solar and just 1 x 110ah gel battery so not sure what we would need to keep the fridge in power and how much work needed re upgrading electrics in the old girl.
Any words of wisdom gratefully received as we donā€™t want to rush into the wrong decision.
As it is we are not going to get it sorted before we head to Spain in a couple of weeks so we are going to have to restrict our stops to places with EHC which is annoying but not the end of the world.

OP
OP
Billylyne5
May 28, 2020
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola S687SP
Exp
The company that repairs them does not do a repair if the fault is the one ours is showing- which is 9 - gas
Unless you know somewhere that does

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Could you get the old fridge out through a window?
As regards compressor Vs absorption unless you are happy to rely on ehu then a compressor fridge will require upgrades to the electrics , probably 2 batteries or a lithium with all that entails.
Part of my reason to upgrading to lithium was to give me the option of a compressor fridge as my 3 way is 2006 vintage like yours and looking at the corrosion at the back of it I can't help thinking it will fall at some point ...

Upvote 0

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
1) Unless you are very competent, two weeks is too short a timescale to sort everything out for a compressor.
2) Fridge comes out the passenger door, after removing seat(s).
3) Least complicated and cheapest route is to replace like for like.

Cheers
Red.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Billylyne5
May 28, 2020
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola S687SP
Exp
1) Unless you are very competent, two weeks is too short a timescale to sort everything out for a compressor.
2) Fridge comes out the passenger door, after removing seat(s).
3) Least complicated and cheapest route is to replace like for like.

Cheers
Red.
Yeah no intention of replacing before we go away, just going to have to manage on electric only.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2023
Leyland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Excel 690L
Exp
Since August 2022
Our new motorhome came with a compressor fridge as standard. Not sure how much it takes out of leisure battery as not had it long enough but hope the lithium battery and solar will suffice. One advantage is that I can just turn it on without hookup before going away. Second advantage is that we donā€™t have to remember to switch power source which we always seemed to forget. Disadvantage so far is that even on the ā€œnightā€ mode setting supposed to make it quiet overnight it wakes us both up. Considering turning it off overnight to sleep, not too much of an issue in the UK !

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
If you're going to Spain you don't need to upgrade the battery for a compressor fridge, just get a solar panel.
I converted our fridge to compressor in 2022 and only have 150w panel and 80ah gel battery, works great in the summer šŸ‘Œ

Edit: We don't use a TV or much else to drain the battery, just phones, LED lighting and water pump

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
how do we get the old one it as itā€™s too wide to fit through the door and also new fridge in ?
Take a front seat out and remove through cab door.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
As others have said through the front passenger door - I usually recline the seat as much as possible - cover/protect seat then 2 person job to get through the door/ new one in
. When time allows I would price up a compressor fridge/freezer depending on the make you may find you can replace and upgrade to lifepo4 / solar for not much more than a Dometic/Thetford FF.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
A 3 way is not as efficient as a compressor but more versatile...will run for weeks without sun hook up or engine running and usually silent and in your requires no expensive up grades.Now a very good range of fridges from Alpicool a maJor worldwide player in everything fridge industrial ,home,leisure and massively cheaper than the usual names,They can be found direct from their eBay shop,free and rapid delivery good range of sizes

Upvote 1
Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Yes 3 way and compressor both basic (no fancy auto switching etc) but keep stuff cold.
Like any 3 way performance wise ( out fan at back for extreme weather,compressor as good as any other

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back