France Questions (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Of to France on tunnel Saturday morning then head to Loire region but wanted to know if Citi Europe I've heard about is a good place to get diesel ?
Also mobiles, calls between me and Mrs don't cost on virgin, will this be the same in France or will we be charged for the local network we use ? I'm thinking may be useful if we get separated, her in shops, me in a nice bar !
Hope to be at la mailleraye Sur seine after lunch, anyone else heading that way ,?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We just coming back :)
For diesel get the 'Essence' app you can see all the garages on a map round you with the price displayed, and it will even navigate you to them.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you're leaving the tunnel you might as well use the Cite Europe fuel station on the way out of the terminal.

Our first choice for fuel in Calais is the 24/7 Auchan station on Ave Roger Salengro, opposite the Auchan hypermarket.

If your SatNav accepts POIs, try getting them for leading French supermarkets - their fuel is always around 20 cents a litre cheaper than on the motorways. For a full tank that's quite a saving.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
With phones there should in theory be no roaming charges but I doubt it will be free. It is possible you will get charged the same rate as if you were calling someone else.
You could of course ring Mr Branston but it might be less bother to just use the phones, don't chat for too long and then check what the charges are. :)

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
We just get out of Calais as soon as we can.
We pick up fuel and any essential supplies at Auchan, Boulogne St Martin. (50.73242, 1.66825)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Alternatively for Fuel you can fill up at Tesco - Next junction on the motorway past the tunnel, then easy follow back to Jct 11A.

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
As of the 15th June all networks have no roaming charge, you can use your included calls,texts and roaming at no extra charge.I'm with EE and called to check as my daughter will be in Gran canaria while we are in France and it wont cost us to call each other, however calling from the UK will cost ( not sure why) My husband is O2 and thats the same, so I am pretty sure it's all networks.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
In reply to your question regard fuel at City Europe yes ,was there the other day it was just over a euro a litre (50.93606 1.80671) .If anyone has not being in City Europe to have a shop,Really worth a look lol.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
, however calling from the UK will cost ( not sure why) My husband is O2 and thats the same, so I am pretty sure it's all networks.
No charges on Plusnet they use the EE network. Appears to be a rumor reported in the press I've never been able to find any evedence of it.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We're in France and on the 15th June I received a message from Tesco to say that the £20 extra they gave me for topping up just before we came out was now just part of the credit and didn't have to be used before the 22nd June, (not that we could have used that over here anyway pre 15/6) With me so far?

So, we have to get Ins immediately we get back so I thought I would use the extra on the phone.

Well, swings and roundabouts. When we over in the winter, our credit lasted forever @4p a minute but now, gobble, gobble.

OK, we have the Insurance sorted, (Sorry AIB, you lost, Safeguard won) but that £17.62 free??? credit disappeared down to £6.00 in the blink of four telephone calls.

The moral is, even if the EU think they are doing you a favour, the telecoms Co.s will always twist the knobs and beat the living daylights out of you Bank balance.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Last November I signed up with EE and got a deal that gave unlimited calls and texts from and to anywhere in the EU. I can also use my data allowance anywhere in the EU. Sadly I don't get coverage where I live so I can't use any of it at home.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Of to France on tunnel Saturday morning then head to Loire region but wanted to know if Citi Europe I've heard about is a good place to get diesel ?
Looking at the receipts from our trip earlier this year, there was less than 1 cent difference in the litre price between Carrefour at Cite Europe and the Super U near Haguenau we used the following day. So if its convenient to stop at Cite Europe then go for it (y)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
With phones there should in theory be no roaming charges but I doubt it will be free. It is possible you will get charged the same rate as if you were calling someone else.
You could of course ring Mr Branston but it might be less bother to just use the phones, don't chat for too long and then check what the charges are. :)
I agree, even if there is a cost it will only be a few pence if you send each other SMS rather than talk. If necessary, then do call each other as in the long run, not much for convenience against the cost of a holiday.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
How DID we manage in the 80's ???
If you had a mobile it really was a brick and only useable in the UK.

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Last November I signed up with EE and got a deal that gave unlimited calls and texts from and to anywhere in the EU. I can also use my data allowance anywhere in the EU. Sadly I don't get coverage where I live so I can't use any of it at home.

Phone EE and ask them for a booster, I recently moved to them as my O2 signal had become really bad , but when I tried it the signal was worse, I called them to say I would have to go back to O2 and they sent me a booster within 24 hours. ( I had taken the contract out with a third party) so was very impressed. I had been trying to get O2 to give me a booster for years. It's great as it just links up to your wifi .I have a samsung

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
As of the 15th June all networks have no roaming charge, you can use your included calls,texts and roaming at no extra charge.I'm with EE and called to check as my daughter will be in Gran canaria while we are in France and it wont cost us to call each other, however calling from the UK will cost ( not sure why) My husband is O2 and thats the same, so I am pretty sure it's all networks.
I don't know about all networks but using vodafone for calling to a roaming area, France for example from the UK will be chargeable because you are not roaming and in your home area if you were roaming in France and called German number or any other roam free area it wouldn't cost anything because you would be calling a roaming country from a roaming country.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back