Francaise, franglais...or Del boy ? (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
I am multi -lingual when it comes to ordering beer(y)

And asking for an ash tray

Got the priorities right then:)........next is the food.........I like to know what I am eating!

Don't do a lot of beer drinking in French bars........too b****y expensive:)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Got the priorities right then:)........next is the food.........I like to know what I am eating!

Don't do a lot of beer drinking in French bars........too b****y expensive:)

I know. French beer is :sicker: as well.

Italian beer is nice but again too expensive in restaurants.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I have been in France 13 years and am fairly fluent apart from the odd mistake lol But as I live here it is a necessity but I do like languages it hasn't been a chore. I did french at school but that wasn't yesterday ! Also it is correct those who dont speak english are more tolerant of errors ! But not you Frankie lol Your english is far superior to my french :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
@Madcaravanner Je m'excuse Mon français n'est pas très bon et lent J'essaie d'apprendre s'il vous plaît ours avec moi

Very nice from you to try, but that's where Google OR even a dictionnary can't help where a native can .

Bear, here is a verb, not a noun. You looked up for the translation of the noun, which is OURS ...the animal .... you know the bear in the mountains!
While you 're looking for the the verb TO BEAR which here would be difficult for google to translate as we don't use the same idiom. We would never say anything near to bear with me BUT be understanding with me, which of course in English even if understandable is not idiomatic at all.
So, this is what you should say : Merci d'être compréhensif, or, Merci de votre compréhension

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I was on another motorhome forum recently and someone asked in broken pigeon franglais about the tour de france next year.” nous going a la tour”. I was amazed that anyone could publicly show how ignorant they were.I resisted the temptation to slag her off,just leaving a cryptic comment,then It crossed my mind that maybe most people(english) dont bother with any foreign languages because they can expect foreigners to understand us! This may be the case in northern france and the low countries,but I know when I had problems with my campervan this year down SW France,if I hadn’t had a bit of french I would’ve been screwed.I got the feeling some of the locals went out of their way not to talk english. So I just wonder how many of you guys make an effort to comunicate when in europe..or am I just talking out of my derrière ?

Is that anywhere near your a*se?

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I think a simple please and thank you in any language gets you a long way!!

Not hard to learn,,,

And the other phrase guaranteed to get you through is,,, I'm sorry, I don't speak,,,, whatever,, yet!!!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Gi Daay Mate! spracken sie vous the old Anglais Senor?
Generally gets me thro to Johnny Foreigner.

I can get by in German, French, a bit of Maori, a tad Samoan, a few swear words here and there but! Seriously! if anyone English criticized my speaking foreign, I would tell them at least I'm trying, and :lips::moon2:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
..... I was amazed that anyone could publicly show how ignorant they were.I resisted the temptation to slag her off .....

Before I answer, what did you mean by 'ignorant' ?

As I suspect @Yorick is alluding to, one of the consequences of being ignorant is that you don’t have the knowledge to appreciate that you are about to make/have made a faux pas.

That being the case, they would hardly be in a position to contemplate the wisdom of their saying their piece!

Ian

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Once stayed with an English builder who had moved to France - he spoke French with a pronounced Somerset accent! Sounded hilarious but when I asked his workmates they thought nothing of it.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I’m a member of the same FB group, saw the same post, but it never crossed my mind at all that they were “ignorant” (in any sense of the word), they were just posting like that for humorous effect - for “fun”, as in the name of this forum. They may well be able to speak perfectly good French, but posting in French, no matter how perfect, would be rather silly in a group populated by people whose first language is English.

Bon soirée!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you understand what the poster is asking what is the problem? We went to night class for 2 years to learn French as we were seriously considering moving to France permanently a few years later and wanted to be able to speak some of the lingo when we got there. As it turned out we didn't do that but it has certainly come in very handy on holiday in places that speak French and also in some that don't as there are similarities between a lot of the main European languages in terms of how sentences are structures and some of the words. We can read and understand a lot more than we can 'say' but we can still have basic conversations in French ... or in my case give a telling off to a young lady who pushed in at a queue at the till during our last holiday. :D

OP
OP
Ricardoe

Ricardoe

Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer544
Exp
Just started
Before I answer, what did you mean by 'ignorant' ?
The ignorance of someone who obviously loved going to france,but couldn’t be bothered to look up the correct french..so why do it? Why not talk in english?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The ignorance of someone who obviously loved going to france,but couldn’t be bothered to look up the correct french..so why do it? Why not talk in english?
For comedy/fun value ... you shouldn't take stuff so seriously IMV.

OP
OP
Ricardoe

Ricardoe

Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer544
Exp
Just started
Yeh but I did conclude the original post by asking “if I was talking out of my derrière”..so it had a light hearted twist.All I’m doing is explaining what I think...its just chat.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The hard bit to understand initially was that everything has a gender, its either male or female even a wheel barrow!,

Hilarious (apparently) joke, told to me by a colleague in our Paris office:

Englishman pointing to the sky:...... "Regardez, Pierre! Une hélicoptère".

Pierre: ......"Non, c'est UN hélicoptère"

........ "Ah Pierre, you obviously have better eyesight than me".

His other favourite was that it was a Belgian who invented the toilet seat, but it was a Frenchman who had the idea to put the hole in the middle. :rolleyes:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
A lot of english words have invaded the french language, known as franglais.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
A lot of english words have invaded the french language, known as franglais.
"Le parking" "le tennis" ... "le weekend" why isn't this "le semaine fin"??? o_O

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I have lived in France for fifteen years and I do not speak French and probably never will. I get by and I mix well with my neighbours many of whom have become friends. Unfortunately my brain is not wired for languages. The only criticism I have ever had is from a Brit who does speak French (badly I am told). He said I should be ashamed of myself for not learning. I asked him how long he had been using computers, which was longer than I have been in France and shouldn't he be fluent in computers.He comes to me to fix his computer. Because my brain is wired that way.
As @Frankie above has demonstrated a little knowledge and a dictionary can be very dangerous and will usually steer you wrong. She can speak excellent English and write it and make jokes and probably understands the technicalities better than I but as I am sure she will be the first to admit she does make mistakes. We all understand her though and I hope would never criticise.
I have great respect and admiration for those that can converse in other languages. But anybody who suggests that I or anybody else is ignorant because they do not or who make mistakes I think should look in the mirror and have a very strong conversation with them self. Even in fun that sort of criticism can be devastating and hurtful.
Steve

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I have lived in France for fifteen years and I do not speak French and probably never will. I get by and I mix well with my neighbours many of whom have become friends. Unfortunately my brain is not wired for languages. The only criticism I have ever had is from a Brit who does speak French (badly I am told). He said I should be ashamed of myself for not learning. I asked him how long he had been using computers, which was longer than I have been in France and shouldn't he be fluent in computers.He comes to me to fix his computer. Because my brain is wired that way.
As @Frankie above has demonstrated a little knowledge and a dictionary can be very dangerous and will usually steer you wrong. She can speak excellent English and write it and make jokes and probably understands the technicalities better than I but as I am sure she will be the first to admit she does make mistakes. We all understand her though and I hope would never criticise.
I have great respect and admiration for those that can converse in other languages. But anybody who suggests that I or anybody else is ignorant because they do not or who make mistakes I think should look in the mirror and have a very strong conversation with them self. Even in fun that sort of criticism can be devastating and hurtful.
Steve

Oh yes, deffo still make mistakes and not only a few. Since I got my Oxford dictionnary I understand better the use of some words. Having an english dictionnary is really helping, but natives will always give me another use of the word, which is not mentionned in the dict.

Steve, I came across your post accidently, as the person you mentionned with @ is another lady Funster whose username is Frankie. To mention me you have to use @yodeli .

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Oh yes, deffo still make mistakes and not only a few. Since I got my Oxford dictionnary I understand better the use of some words. Having an english dictionnary is really helping, but natives will always give me another use of the word, which is not mentionned in the dict.

Steve, I came across your post accidently, as the person you mentionned with @ is another lady Funster whose username is Frankie. To mention me you have to use @yodeli .
Sorry Frankie @yodeli typing late and while bobbing up & down in a Norwegian Fjoyd on a Northan Lights cruise at the top of the world. Just put Frankie in and accepted the result.
The point remains though that a dictionary, especially a French dictionary can lead you astray because more than English I think, French has so many words the same which totally depend on the context and sentence structure for their meaning. And TheFrench do shorten things so much. For example, your shortened word "deffo" above would rarely be used by other than a teenager. Nothing wrong with it at all and every English person would understand you but to me it would probably indicate somebody who works with teenagers, somebody who is trying to make out they were a teenager or somebody such as yourself who is not a native speaker. No offence at all intended. To somebody from a different UK region the inference may be slightly different. The French usually will shorten Resturant to " "Resto" why? Because they do. But I can't check butI doubt that it in the dictionary.
Your sentance correction above really makes little sense to an Englishman as does the one you corrected to a Frenchman.
Those that are linguistically gifted should not mock or look down on those that are not. We have our uses.
Steve

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
@OldAgeTravellers

Shame on me Steve, I use "deffo" only because I've never been able to remember the spelling of the whole word. I've tried many times but seems to be stupid when it comes to this word lol! Never thought though it was for teenagers mainly, having read it on here so many times. I've learnt something else today.

French are very lazy when speaking, resto is shorter , easier, and somehow it means "why make it difficult when you can make it easy".

As you said all the people from different countries have their uses.
I've noticed that a lot of people use acronyms. I find it so difficult to understand, but there again, I am the foreign bit on here, so either I ask right away what it stands for, or look up on the internet to try and find the full meaning.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
"Le parking" "le tennis" ... "le weekend" why isn't this "le semaine fin"??? o_O

Probably for the same reason you say "rendez-vous" (verb rendre , subject is the pronoun vous and it's all French) or "quant à moi" I have read somewhere or even just Moi?
Best of all being: Honni soit qui mal y pense..... very surprising for an English motto . Even if I know you had some French bits in your history.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Going to the tower .... hmm ....

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I was on another motorhome forum recently and someone asked in broken pigeon franglais about the tour de france next year.” nous going a la tour”. I was amazed that anyone could publicly show how ignorant they were.I resisted the temptation to slag her off,just leaving a cryptic comment,then It crossed my mind that maybe most people(english) dont bother with any foreign languages because they can expect foreigners to understand us! This may be the case in northern france and the low countries,but I know when I had problems with my campervan this year down SW France,if I hadn’t had a bit of french I would’ve been screwed.I got the feeling some of the locals went out of their way not to talk english. So I just wonder how many of you guys make an effort to comunicate when in europe..or am I just talking out of my derrière ?
So what would you make of Simone with dyslexia posting on hear or someone who's first language is not English
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back