For you off-roaders tonight (1 Viewer)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Seen a bit of the trailer for this, don’t think the chaps going to get far with the way he rides..

When I use to ride a few very good local riders did the six days and they never finished..

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The first few sections were nothing short of embarrassing !
I do hope he improves... I think he will to be honest..Certainly no stranger to two wheels

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Suprised to see him struggle on the moors as he is supposed to be a handy enduro and mx rider..
Could understand him struggling in the sections as it takes years of practice and riders from the south are not use to the terrain.

I did a two day trial in Wales years ago and the rocks were an eye opener for sure....

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Like Ross and appreciate his honesty but he needs to be fitter and lose a few pounds (not money ).I rode trials (pre-65) for 10 years and wouldn't dare to tackle what he did on any bike -brave man! Why not ride the pre-65 Scottish on the "normal" trick bikes" at least not as dangerous/

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I agree, I expected him to ride better on the linking rides, maybe it's the expected difficulty of the event got in his head.
Good for the Trial to get shown on tv.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Good for the Trial to get shown on tv

Could never understand why someone has not brought back Kick Start.
Use to like watching that and it wouldn’t cost a lot compared to what they pay to send a load of ‘celebrities’ to Australia to talk a load of shite for 4 weeks...

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Could never understand why someone has not brought back Kick Start.
Use to like watching that and it wouldn’t cost a lot compared to what they pay to send a load of ‘celebrities’ to Australia to talk a load of shite for 4 weeks...

Very true

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I competed in the SSDT 8 times, great Clubmans Trial so often the Proffesional that Wins the Event such as Dougie Lampkin wins on single figures and as such it’s a great test of skill and endurance,however,many non professionals are not that far behind.I believe the entry number is 250 and I bet the person who comes last will feel just as good as the Winner because he finished.

The problem with Televising Trials is that very few normal viewers can get a real understanding of just how difficult it can be, hence the introduction of “ Indoor Trials”
that show a level of danger that the public seem to like.

I think Ross has been quite brave in having a go! And perhaps as many before him have, perhaps he’ll get stuck in and improve for a further attempt.

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I remember Gordon Jackson winning it with a single dab on a Matchless 500cc single which probably weighed about twice as much as the modern bikes.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I had my very first motorcycle ride on my BIL's Greeves 197 Scottish Trials on a field near where we lived when I was 16, (nearly)!, never tried proper trials like he did though, he rode in Eastern Centre and Norwich Vikings events, also rode his Triumph TRW road bike as my first ever ride on the road, showing my age now!

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I remember Gordon Jackson winning it with a single dab on a Matchless 500cc single which probably weighed about twice as much as the modern bikes.
Quite,but it’s all relative a modern bike is something in the order of 75/80 Kilo,therefore, the severity of the Sections have become so much harder,having said that they still use the Pipeline section in Kinlochleven on the modern bikes which of course they sail up, but!! Ty also still have it in the Pre65 Bikes 2 Day Trial and it’s different story. All quite brilliant and Historic.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Quite,but it’s all relative a modern bike is something in the order of 75/80 Kilo,therefore, the severity of the Sections have become so much harder,having said that they still use the Pipeline section in Kinlochleven on the modern bikes which of course they sail up, but!! Ty also still have it in the Pre65 Bikes 2 Day Trial and it’s different story. All quite brilliant and Historic.

61 kilos for the carbon bike that Vertigo build and most of the others about 65.
I use to ride the Southern Trials when Sammy Miller use to ride that big British bike, he must have been in his late 60s early 70s but he was still a cracking rider and a nice chap to speak to...

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Used to ride a rigid James late 1990"s for about 10 years -I was no Duggie Lampkin but had so much fun on that little bike I built -then all the "trick machines " started to appear -money no object-spoilt the idea of it.Now some of the
pre-65 sections are life threatening!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Did quite a bit of trials riding in my youth at a 'for fun' level on a TY175 and 250 Sherpa, a far cry from today's bikes, at an ex MOD training camp locally.
Couldn't even contemplate the SSDT....
respect to Russ noble just for trying..... though he will be getting very well paid for his time.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I missed last week's, this one exhausted me watching. He's in no state to be doing that, I even feel sorry for the bike. But had a go, didn't flounce out at the treatment he got from his "mate" ( was it all scripted ? ) so give him full marks for that.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I don’t think people appreciate how hard it is to ride a trials bike over a distance, they are so uncomfortable when I helped my mate set out a local enduro when we finished he said can you ride the route to check it, 6 miles later I came back and I was hanging!!

He is way to unfit to attempt this event, would have been better to train some more and do it this year.

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I couldn't ride one of those excuses for a motorbike to the end of our drive. I know I'm a BOF but I think the current state of trials riding is one step away from a circus act. I'm enjoying watching this as a insight into Ross Nobles tribulations, but with very little interest in the bike content. Pre-65 trials for me.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Bugger, I forgot all about it being on, hopefully being 'Dave' it will be repeated.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I watched it on the Dave app.
I can see why his mate was getting fed-up with him, I've done long boggy moors when trail riding and when you tell someone what to do and they just tootle along and keep getting stuck, it's annoying, but I thought he would ride the links better. I'm sure I would struggle as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back