Flooded - update (1 Viewer)

Jul 30, 2016
Warrington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
6 years
Things have moved quickly since I posted that we have been flooded 3 weeks back. We have found and moved into a small rented terraced house. It will do us for the expected 6 months that it will take to get back into our house. Its cold and draughty but beggars can't be choosers, there were more than 100 homes flooded in Warrington!

I was fortunate that our insurance company allocated an experienced insurance assessor and remediation company. The house has been completely emptied downstairs, all furniture scrapped and the plaster knocked off to a height of 1m. All floors and tiles ripped up. All skirting boards, doors and architraves removed. Its literally a bare shell. The workmen have had dehumidifiers running non stop for 2 weeks. I must say that the locals and the people of Warrington have been amazingly generous and helpful.

On a good note, the motorhome has not been harmed at all. The batteries are flat but that is a job for this weekend, 6 Nations allowing.

The wife's damaged back is slowly improving, but scans hint at further problems with her organs as if she has not suffered enough over the last 2-3 years.

Its unlikely that we will going abroad this year but can't wait for the UK sites to open.

Juggler (also known as Roy)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Sorry to read of your troubles, but glad that you are now settled somewhere for the duration and that your insurers have been helpful.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Glad to see things are progressing for you. Hope you’ll be back in your house before too long,it must be very unsettling. Good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I missed your original thread. It must have been awful at the time so it's good to read that things are progressing for you both.

Best of luck that you are back home as soon as is possible.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Glad to see things moving on quickly 👍

I never get why plaster is only taken off to 1m, I know it relates to how high damp can rise, but my simple logic says it would be as easy to redo the whole wall and no risk of seeing the join

we had an old house fitted with a damp proof course, they only replaced half the wall and I could always see the join, ended up using one of those paper border rolls to try and cover it up

hope everything goes to plan for you 🌈

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It's amazing how long repairs take.
A contractor is building 900 new houses not far from us.... At the rate of one every 6 to 8 weeks

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for the update - had been wondering how you were getting on.

Pleased to hear the insurance company has provided a professional service thus far and you are re-housed for the time being. Good that your van is generally OK too. :giggle:

Sorry your wife's health is still challenging, but with an improving back, hopefully she's a bit more comfortable.

Good luck with the house repairs and hope it won't bee too long before you can return home. (y)

We used to live not a million miles away, in Kingsley, so it's nice to hear the good folk in Warrington have been kind and generous.

Cheers, Mike

OP
OP
J
Jul 30, 2016
Warrington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
6 years
Thanks for the good wishes. However the problems have not yet stopped. Just heard from the insurance underwriters, the Caravan and Motorhome Club, who just sent out my renaweal notice for my home insureance policy. They are no longer wish to insure for flooding and have increased the cost of the policy by a factor of 2. This was not unexpected. Anyone know of other insurance companies that might cover flooding.

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Thanks for the good wishes. However the problems have not yet stopped. Just heard from the insurance underwriters, the Caravan and Motorhome Club, who just sent out my renaweal notice for my home insureance policy. They are no longer wish to insure for flooding and have increased the cost of the policy by a factor of 2. This was not unexpected. Anyone know of other insurance companies that might cover flooding.
We live in a flood RISC area according to the map used by CMC, they told me they would not renew the policy even when I redirected them to the new Environment Agency maps.
I sacked them and this year we are using SAGA for house and contents.
Phil

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I missed your original thread. It must have been awful at the time so it's good to read that things are progressing for you both.

Best of luck that you are back home as soon as is possible.
Original thread here

OP
OP
J
Jul 30, 2016
Warrington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
6 years
Its now just over a year since our house was flooded and I've neglected to add a final post to the above, sorry!

The restoration company did a marvellous job, everything was done to the highest standard. We are very pleased. They finished in a month less than they quoted. We had very little furniture for 3 months, its amazing how little you really need.

My wife's 'organ problems' turned out to be cancer of the liver. She had surgery to remove part of her liver in May last year. A follow up scan shows two enlarged lymph nodes but they are being investigated. Her 4 fractured vertebrate have proved to be very difficult to treat. She is still in bad pain. Pain killers have not helped much. She has lost almost 4 inches in height and is now slightly slightly stooped. A treatment plan has been agreed and will start shortly.

We still managed to get away with our moho but not as much as usual. We hope to get away more when the weather improves. Spain is on the horizon!

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Sorry to hear of your wife's health issues and wish her well for the future. For the flooding issue that's another nightmare to add to your troubles when you don't really need it
Have the authorities done something to prevent it happening again?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
So sorry to hear of your problems. :( I'm living in my van full time at the moment, but your post puts everything in perspective.

Sending your wife much healing thoughts and hoping that she gets all the help available. Keep safe and strong. Please let us know how everything goes for you both. Hug.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back